Random covid-19 observations

nicole

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by nicole »

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

I read that article and had a very similar reaction. I'm glad someone took the time to write how dumb the takes were through that entire thing. I think part of it has to do with the fact that few people actually understand what data those companies actually keep and how it's kept.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Well, THIS is cool: most of my cloth masks have ties, which are better than earloops in the sense that you can "customize" the size, but putting them on and taking them off is a time-consuming PITA, especially since I can't see what my fingers are doing. (I have one cloth mask with earloops, which Jeff ordered from a small company shortly after this all started; it's hopelessly too big on its own -- the earloops hang so loose the mask slides right off my face and ends up gathering at my chin -- though I can make it work with a ponytail elastic and two flat plastic hooks originally designed to hold too-loose bra straps tighter in back. Still, putting it on and taking it off is almost as complicated and time-consuming as handling all those ties.)

So I was wishing I had an earloop mask that fits, ideally in a shade of blue that flatters my eyes -- today, Jeff went in to work and discovered everyone who actually works on-site being issued one by the company. The mask is a little too small for Jeff but fits me PERFECTLY -- it's downright comfortable to wear. What's more, the actual company edict is "everyone gets one mask per week," so Jeff signed off on his first two week's worth and gave them to me tonight, and now I have two perfect-fit new earloop masks in a very nice shade of blue, and I'll be getting another mask in two weeks. (Dunno if they'll all be the same color, but I don't care-- these two masks alone should last me a looooong time. And for quickie things like "running outside just long enough to discard things in the dumpster," putting one on will be far more convenient than messing with all those ties, no matter WHAT color it is.)

Also everyone got issued a big 7.6-ounce pump bottle of sanitizer, but thus far our hand sanitizer supply is MORE than holding out -- Jeff's still going through the little three-ounce bottle he started off with, my three-ounce bottle is barely touched because I almost never go out, plus we have the almost-full 12-ounce pump bottle I'd bought pre-pandemic (for bathroom use in case of water outages), two very old, unopened 4-ounce bottles, and now this 7.6-ounce bottle too.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Great moments in understatement, ironic foreshadowing version: I was looking through the recent archives in search of a particular post, and found instead one I'd made on March 7, when I was VERY annoyed to find a jury duty notice in the day's mail, and made the following sulky post (emphasis added just now):
... it's a good thing I have a well-developed sense of social responsibility (at least, too well-developed to deliberately cause a mass panic), because on March 30 I'm sure the coronavirus scare will still be in full swing, and if I were to grab and eat a greasy fast-food breakfast sandwich before going to court, there's maybe ~ 50/50 odds that within half an hour I'll not only start coughing, but what looks like "productive coughing" in medical parlance -- not due to illness or any form of respiratory distress, but removing whatever's caught on the grease-trap ledge of scar tissue I suspect I have in my throat.

Fortunately, in addition to my aforementioned sense of social responsibility, I also know there's no way I'll have any appetite to eat anything, let alone a greasy fast-food breakfast sandwich, so early in the morning.
Of course, come to find out that with covid-19, "productive coughing" isn't the kind you need to worry about anyway.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote:
20 May 2020, 18:42
Great moments in understatement, ironic foreshadowing version: I was looking through the recent archives in search of a particular post, and found instead one I'd made on March 7, when I was VERY annoyed to find a jury duty notice in the day's mail, and made the following sulky post (emphasis added just now):
... it's a good thing I have a well-developed sense of social responsibility (at least, too well-developed to deliberately cause a mass panic), because on March 30 I'm sure the coronavirus scare will still be in full swing, and if I were to grab and eat a greasy fast-food breakfast sandwich before going to court, there's maybe ~ 50/50 odds that within half an hour I'll not only start coughing, but what looks like "productive coughing" in medical parlance -- not due to illness or any form of respiratory distress, but removing whatever's caught on the grease-trap ledge of scar tissue I suspect I have in my throat.

Fortunately, in addition to my aforementioned sense of social responsibility, I also know there's no way I'll have any appetite to eat anything, let alone a greasy fast-food breakfast sandwich, so early in the morning.
Of course, come to find out that with covid-19, "productive coughing" isn't the kind you need to worry about anyway.
Assuming they will call you back again sometime: If you can schedule a meal properly, you may be able to start 'productive coughing' just as you enter the building. I guarantee you will be excused immediately.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I just found out about the potatoe thing. I didn't miss much since I'm kind of waiting to see if Trump will claim to have had covid and it was no big deal.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

ha ha ha ha I still don't know about the potato thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
21 May 2020, 13:44
I just found out about the potatoe thing. I didn't miss much since I'm kind of waiting to see if Trump will claim to have had covid and it was no big deal.
They can pull the guards off the cauliflower patrol to cover the potatoes.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Warren wrote:
21 May 2020, 16:30
ha ha ha ha I still don't know about the potato thing.
I have to assume it has to do with the collapse of potato demand due to Covid
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Still, though, what is the actual "potato thing" Phams' talking about: shortage in stores? Wave of potato farmers going bankrupt? Trump said he heard many many people say shoving a baked potato up your ass cures covid-19?

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote:
21 May 2020, 17:40
Still, though, what is the actual "potato thing" Phams' talking about: shortage in stores? Wave of potato farmers going bankrupt? Trump said he heard many many people say shoving a baked potato up your ass cures covid-19?
I assume it is this: Trump Warns Farmers That Gun Control Will Leave Their Potatoes Defenseless

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Oh my god.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

(Pic is of the Crystal City Restaurant, a long time (and afaik, for a long time, the only) strip club in Arlington VA.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Yes. the only other one was on Wilson Blvd between Courthouse and Clarendon and it closed years and years ago.

Warren

Post by Warren »

I don't see the "seating". And is that a bocce court?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Lake of the Ozarks and Ocean City (Maryland) were both trending on Twitter yesterday, because it was Memorial Day weekend and those vacation spots were packed with people as usual for this time of year, zero effort at social distancing, nobody wearing a mask ... sigh.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I ventured out to the nearby thrift store today -- first such visit since early March -- they've set up one-way aisles, and for the duration, the glass display cases where they'd sell things like jewelry and other small, unusually valuable items were completely empty, with signs saying the store won't be selling such things during the pandemic. I didn't check to see if the dressing rooms were open, as I have no intention of attempting to try on new-to-me clothes under covid conditions (and since I'm only looking for sun-blocking rayon button-down long-sleeve shirts anyway, I don't strictly need to try them on, since evven too-large shirts work fine for my purposes).

Also saw my first in-the-wild sighting of unclear-on-the-concept guy wearing a mask over his mouth but not his nose.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Jennifer wrote:
25 May 2020, 12:44
Lake of the Ozarks and Ocean City (Maryland) were both trending on Twitter yesterday, because it was Memorial Day weekend and those vacation spots were packed with people as usual for this time of year, zero effort at social distancing, nobody wearing a mask ... sigh.
I can't speak about Maryland, but the Missouri debacle is totally unsurprising. People here seem to have collectively decided that the virus either doesn't exist or isn't dangerous.

We deserve what we get.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a bunch of young people, outdoors, in a chlorinated pool, in direct sunlight *isn’t* that much of a virus spreader event.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote:
25 May 2020, 23:01
I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a bunch of young people, outdoors, in a chlorinated pool, in direct sunlight *isn’t* that much of a virus spreader event.
Matt Welch insists that it isn't.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I suspect --where likelihood of viral transmission is concerned, not how bad the virus would be for you if you actually got it -- the fact that everyone's young rather than elderly is largely irrelevant, and the fact that everyone's outside in a sunny pool of chlorinated water probably matters a lot less than that they're all talking to/laughing with each other, drinking, standing in close proximity to each other, with nothing covering their facial orifices. If I (unknowingly) have covid-19 and I'm drinking and chatting with you in a normal situation like that -- basically nightclub-level population density, only everyone's standing in pool water rather than on a club floor -- and I'm not wearing a mask ... I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to spend a consistent amount of time breathing in part of the air I just exhaled a second ago. Quickly walking past me is one thing, but engaging in sustained conversation? And likely loud, semi-drunk chat at that? Hell no.

And the Ocean City pictures were your standard beach-tourist boardwalk pictures: people dressed in summer clothes packing a crowded pedestrian street lined with souvenir shops and the like.

By the way, here's the actual tweets, in case anyone doesn't know what I'm referring to:

Lake of the Ozarks video snippet of a pool/"daytime nightclub"

Ocean City boardwalk:

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Every one of those boardwalk shots makes everyone looked more scrunched together than they actually are due to an artifact of the field & depth of view.

The lake of the ozarks scene is indeed crowded objectively.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I agree with Jennifer that people talking and breathing in close proximity matters more than the sun and chlorine. Sun and chlorine might take care of any virus lingering on skin or other surfaces, but I've seen little evidence that touching surfaces or skin is a major transmission route for coronavirus. Or, at least, it isn't nearly as significant as inhaling droplets.

And even if the crowded pool itself is safer than I think, when pool parties are crowded there are generally crowded restaurants and bars as well. I somehow doubt that as soon as those people left the pool they all put on masks and stayed far away from each other. That pool signifies a weekend of partying in a variety of venues.

OTOH, I agree Kolohe that the boardwalk shot is set up to look more crowded than it is.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote:
26 May 2020, 00:42
I agree with Jennifer that people talking and breathing in close proximity matters more than the sun and chlorine. Sun and chlorine might take care of any virus lingering on skin or other surfaces, but I've seen little evidence that touching surfaces or skin is a major transmission route for coronavirus.
The CDC is now saying it's not a major transmission route. Not clear whether that's due to people being more careful about wiping things down and washing their hands than social distancing.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.