Universal Corona Income

JD

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by JD »

...and we have some empirical proof of what happens when you make not working more profitable than working:
When the couple advertised for workers, nearly 100 people applied for just a handful of openings.

The shop had been up and running for only a few months when the coronavirus hit.
But even though she had customers, Marietta reluctantly decided to close the coffee shop just over a week ago.

"The very people we hired have now asked us to be laid off," Marietta wrote in a blog post. "Not because they did not like their jobs or because they did not want to work, but because it would cost them literally hundreds of dollars per week to be employed."

With the federal government now offering $600 a week on top of the state's unemployment benefits, she recognized her former employees could make more money staying home than they did on the job.
The article also alludes to another unintended consequence of high unemployment payments: employers don't feel so bad about laying people off.

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

nicole wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 09:31
*immigrants without a SSN
Which would justify not giving a payment to the immigrant in question, but IMO does NOT justify refusing payment to their American-citizen family members with SSNs. That woman mentioned in the bit I quoted -- a citizen with two citizen children -- even if she doesn't get $1200 for her husband, she still should get it for herself plus the IIRC $500 for each of her kids.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 17:41
nicole wrote:
Which would justify not giving a payment to the immigrant in question, but IMO does NOT justify refusing payment to their American-citizen family members with SSNs. That woman mentioned in the bit I quoted -- a citizen with two citizen children -- even if she doesn't get $1200 for her husband, she still should get it for herself plus the IIRC $500 for each of her kids.
Here's what I don't quite get - if the immigrant husband is filling jointly with his American wife, wouldn't he at least have to have a TIN or ITIN? Is the administration so incredibly petty that's it's actually insisting on SSNs specifically?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JD wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 20:24
Jennifer wrote:
nicole wrote:
Here's what I don't quite get - if the immigrant husband is filling jointly with his American wife, wouldn't he at least have to have a TIN or ITIN? Is the administration so incredibly petty that's it's actually insisting on SSNs specifically?
The point is to discourage others of pure Aryan ancestry to mix... well, you know where this is going.

nicole

Post by nicole »

JD wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 20:24
Jennifer wrote:
nicole wrote:
Yes, and it’s extremely fucked up. I just think it’s worth being specific about.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Welp, stimulus check blown on replacing my AC's compressor.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote:
15 May 2020, 14:38
??? You could get a whole new unit for that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway »

Warren wrote:
15 May 2020, 15:00
Eric the .5b wrote:
I was guessing car AC.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Highway wrote:
15 May 2020, 15:47
Warren wrote:
15 May 2020, 15:00
Eric the .5b wrote:
I was guessing car AC.
No, home AC.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I'll be spending at least some money on a new battery for my car.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Trumpland fun bucks have come and gone. $100 each to savings and investment, $500 each to the local food bank and the local mutual aid society.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Nice