Universal Corona Income

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25371
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Universal Corona Income

Post by JasonL »

It looks like $1k checks will be going out with few if any means tests. It is my intention to as Give Directly suggests, "Re direct the check", at least in the short term. My normal moral approach to such things is to think globally where the benefit of a dollar is so high, but in this case it is my intention to start closer to home.

I will start with a hierarchy like People I Know / People who have no household incomes / People with newly constrained household income and mouths to feed/ expand more globally. Something like that.

I don't know of a great way to do this without soliciting in a way that is uncomfortable, but I'll just say I have Venmo set up and can be reached on various messaging platforms.

I don't mean to suggest at all that this is the only good thing to do with the money, but it is what I've chosen to do for the time being.

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20099
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JasonL wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 08:52
It looks like $1k checks will be going out with few if any means tests. It is my intention to as Give Directly suggests, "Re direct the check", at least in the short term. My normal moral approach to such things is to think globally where the benefit of a dollar is so high, but in this case it is my intention to start closer to home.

I will start with a hierarchy like People I Know / People who have no household incomes / People with newly constrained household income and mouths to feed/ expand more globally. Something like that.

I don't know of a great way to do this without soliciting in a way that is uncomfortable, but I'll just say I have Venmo set up and can be reached on various messaging platforms.

I don't mean to suggest at all that this is the only good thing to do with the money, but it is what I've chosen to do for the time being.
I don't know what it would take to set up or run a domestic equivalent of GiveDirectly, but it strikes me as an excellent idea. If those of use who don't need the money just donated, say, half of whatever bribe the feds send us, that would go a long way toward creating an emergency fund.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 10669
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by nicole »

For those interested in giving locally, a lot of neighborhood relief funds have already been established. And some industry/local industry relief funds.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25371
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by JasonL »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 09:02
JasonL wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 08:52
It looks like $1k checks will be going out with few if any means tests. It is my intention to as Give Directly suggests, "Re direct the check", at least in the short term. My normal moral approach to such things is to think globally where the benefit of a dollar is so high, but in this case it is my intention to start closer to home.

I will start with a hierarchy like People I Know / People who have no household incomes / People with newly constrained household income and mouths to feed/ expand more globally. Something like that.

I don't know of a great way to do this without soliciting in a way that is uncomfortable, but I'll just say I have Venmo set up and can be reached on various messaging platforms.

I don't mean to suggest at all that this is the only good thing to do with the money, but it is what I've chosen to do for the time being.
I don't know what it would take to set up or run a domestic equivalent of GiveDirectly, but it strikes me as an excellent idea. If those of use who don't need the money just donated, say, half of whatever bribe the feds send us, that would go a long way toward creating an emergency fund.
Right. They are working on a roll out now.

Updated link to GD Covid 19 Page: https://www.givedirectly.org/covid-19/

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29666
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 08:52
It looks like $1k checks will be going out with few if any means tests. It is my intention to as Give Directly suggests, "Re direct the check", at least in the short term. My normal moral approach to such things is to think globally where the benefit of a dollar is so high, but in this case it is my intention to start closer to home.

I will start with a hierarchy like People I Know / People who have no household incomes / People with newly constrained household income and mouths to feed/ expand more globally. Something like that.

I don't know of a great way to do this without soliciting in a way that is uncomfortable, but I'll just say I have Venmo set up and can be reached on various messaging platforms.

I don't mean to suggest at all that this is the only good thing to do with the money, but it is what I've chosen to do for the time being.
Hello
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25637
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Jennifer »

IS "a thousand bucks for every adult, regardless" STILL supposed to be the case? Because I've since read that changed to "UP TO a thousand for every adult below a certain income, as based on last year's tax returns." Which means less money for those already poor, and El Zilcho for those who were out of work last year.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25371
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by JasonL »

Nothing is final. Universal direct checks may be falling out of favor. Donkeys want it to run through unemployment insurance and they want more spending on other programs - something they keep calling a Marshall Plan for healthcare.

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19454
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Hugh Akston »

I gotta say that Trump putting his big boy signature on the stimmie checks makes it a lot more likely that I'm going to donate mine to charity that helps immigrants.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7509
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Jadagul »

I got mine in the bank account already.

Still deciding whether I wanna just donate the whole thing.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14824
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jadagul wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 17:47
I got mine in the bank account already.

Still deciding whether I wanna just donate the whole thing.
You can always donate some and save the rest to donate later, if you're still OK.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7509
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Jadagul »

Eric the .5b wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 21:04
Jadagul wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 17:47
I got mine in the bank account already.

Still deciding whether I wanna just donate the whole thing.
You can always donate some and save the rest to donate later, if you're still OK.
Oh, I'll be fine. The question is whether I donate it because I don't need it, or whether I put it into savings to buy a house because I'm fundamentally a selfish person who doesn't generally give to charity.

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25637
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Jennifer »

Looks like everyone who has direct deposit got their corona stimuli checks yesterday. The (generally poorer) people who must wait for paper checks will have to wait even longer because Trump wants his own name going out on said checks.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 8038
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Taktix® »

Jennifer wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 13:19
Looks like everyone who has direct deposit got their corona stimuli checks yesterday. The (generally poorer) people who must wait for paper checks will have to wait even longer because Trump wants his own name going out on said checks.
There are reports today that people who e-filed with H&R Block and Turbo Tax are getting wrong amounts (leaving off a dependent) or nothing at all.

Got mine yesterday and I use Tax Slayer *shrug*
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25637
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Jennifer »

Taktix® wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 13:36
Jennifer wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 13:19
Looks like everyone who has direct deposit got their corona stimuli checks yesterday. The (generally poorer) people who must wait for paper checks will have to wait even longer because Trump wants his own name going out on said checks.
There are reports today that people who e-filed with H&R Block and Turbo Tax are getting wrong amounts (leaving off a dependent) or nothing at all.

Got mine yesterday and I use Tax Slayer *shrug*
Yeah, my first awareness that yesterday was reverse-tax day was when I saw trending on twitter various complaints about being unable to get in to the IRS online portal. So I went to the IRS site (during 9-5 business hours) fully expecting to be denied entry, but I got in immediately and it said the $1200 connected to my SSN had already been deposited. Checked our joint account and confirmed both of our payments had been deposited.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11981
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by JD »

We got our deposits yesterday too. When we first heard about it we were saying "maybe we'll donate it or something, there are a lot of people worse off than we are" but NY has done fuck-all about rents, so we're still paying my wife's business expenses, including rent and business loan payments, while we have no income from the business, so that's where the payments are going.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11981
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by JD »

It also looks like the COVID-19 stimulus payments are now the camel's nose in the tent for UBI, as people are starting to argue "If giving everybody money is a great idea now, why don't we do it all the time?"
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19454
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Hugh Akston »

JD wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 10:21
It also looks like the COVID-19 stimulus payments are now the camel's nose in the tent for UBI, as people are starting to argue "If giving everybody money is a great idea now, why don't we do it all the time?"
Not a bad question.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13726
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Highway »

Taktix® wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 13:36
Jennifer wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 13:19
Looks like everyone who has direct deposit got their corona stimuli checks yesterday. The (generally poorer) people who must wait for paper checks will have to wait even longer because Trump wants his own name going out on said checks.
There are reports today that people who e-filed with H&R Block and Turbo Tax are getting wrong amounts (leaving off a dependent) or nothing at all.

Got mine yesterday and I use Tax Slayer *shrug*
Thanks for the info, Taktix. I looked it up on the IRS site and they said they didn't have my direct deposit information.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 4563
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Painboy »

JD wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 10:21
It also looks like the COVID-19 stimulus payments are now the camel's nose in the tent for UBI, as people are starting to argue "If giving everybody money is a great idea now, why don't we do it all the time?"
The whole stimulus thing just seems so ineffective, even for most government plans. The problem is businesses being closed and people getting laid off right?. Why are we giving money to people who still have jobs? I would think unemployment should cover that. Those are the people who need it. Maybe increase the benefits temporarily given the suddenness of everything?

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14824
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Eric the .5b »

I got my $1200, and I've been using TurboTax.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 8263
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Shem »

Painboy wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 14:59
JD wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 10:21
It also looks like the COVID-19 stimulus payments are now the camel's nose in the tent for UBI, as people are starting to argue "If giving everybody money is a great idea now, why don't we do it all the time?"
The whole stimulus thing just seems so ineffective, even for most government plans. The problem is businesses being closed and people getting laid off right?. Why are we giving money to people who still have jobs? I would think unemployment should cover that. Those are the people who need it. Maybe increase the benefits temporarily given the suddenness of everything?
They're doing that too. 600 more per week plus expansion to people who wouldn't have been eligible (self-employed or not enough hours).
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25637
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Jennifer »

Looks like that "universal" corona income isn't so universal after all; Americans who are married to immigrants won't get anything.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/these ... r-BB12WWwR
She works as a film producer and her small business has ground to a halt, forcing her and her husband to eat red beans and rice most nights, scramble to find small-business loans and apply for medical assistance for their two children.

So the 44-year-old woman from the Midwest, who asked that her name not be used to protect her privacy, has had to bite her tongue as friends have celebrated the arrival of economic stimulus checks.

As a U.S. citizen whose children are also U.S. citizens, she is excluded from the government’s $2 trillion coronavirus financial relief package because she files her taxes jointly with her husband, a Mexican citizen from Guadalajara.

“It’s the biggest slap in face that the government left us out,” she said. “It’s already such a stressful time. This just increases the stigma and feeling of shame. It feels like a very big betrayal.”

More than 1 million U.S. citizens, in states as far afield as California and Pennsylvania, have been blocked from receiving stimulus checks because they are married to immigrants who don’t have Social Security numbers....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 10669
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by nicole »

*immigrants without a SSN

And no, it's not universal. Single people making more than $99k and couples who make more than $198k get nothing.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29666
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 09:31
*immigrants without a SSN

And no, it's not universal. Single people making more than $99k and couples who make more than $198k get nothing.
What about people that don't file income tax?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 10669
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by nicole »

Warren wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 09:37
nicole wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 09:31
*immigrants without a SSN

And no, it's not universal. Single people making more than $99k and couples who make more than $198k get nothing.
What about people that don't file income tax?
That doesn't make you ineligible, you just have to take additional steps.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Post Reply