This is how you get guillotines

Pham Nuwen

Re: This is how you get guillotines

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I think he's very aware that no one in the R establishment is going to take him on. The tribe must stick together til November.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

Painboy wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 21:21
I guess this is a good thing?

Burr Invites Ethics Probe of Stock Sales After Virus Updates
So, a nice months-long investigation that he'll try to slow-walk "given these times," which will provide it's results after everyone has moved on.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Do we have any information about when the popular uprising over violations of an unenforceable law are supposed to happen? I assume the shelter-in-place orders are the only reason people aren't out in the streets with torches in pitchforks right now.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 12:43
Do we have any information about when the popular uprising over violations of an unenforceable law are supposed to happen? I assume the shelter-in-place orders are the only reason people aren't out in the streets with torches in pitchforks right now.
Yeah, like you can find any torches or pitchforks in the stores now!

Mo

Post by Mo »

Painboy wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 21:21
I guess this is a good thing?

Burr Invites Ethics Probe of Stock Sales After Virus Updates
No. That’s the Senate, doing a slow walk wrist slap and NGAF. If he had asked for the SEC to look into it, he’d be serious.

I get the beef with the FDA, but the thing is South Korea had the same restrictions on tests we did, but they took the disease seriously and did the emergency approval back in January. ROK had their first case at the same time we did. The problem isn’t the existence of the FDA it’s that the whole system is poorly run and we accept shitty bureaucratic governance.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Meanwhile, extreme shortages of testing kits remain a problem. Rand Paul has covid-19 but is asymptomatic; he was tested "out of an overabundance of caution."

Radley Balko wrote:It isn’t just that asymptomatic politicians can get tests “out of an abundance of caution” while people with a full set of symptoms can’t. It’s that the leader of the party in power has consistently *denied* that people who need tests aren’t able to get them.

Radley Balko wrote:I hope Rand Paul fully recovers. But how did he get a test without symptoms or contacts with a known carrier “out of an abundance of caution” while people with full blown symptoms are pleading for them?
Radley Balko retweeted when Tina Lennon wrote:I’m an anesthesiologist. I intubate/have copious airway droplets in my face every single time that I do. I developed symptoms on Mon, self-quarantined & only managed to get tested on Fri after lots of hoop jumping. I need to know when I can safely care for patients again.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I'm just curious, are blind trusts a real defense, or are they more of a fig leaf?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Jennifer wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 14:33
Radley Balko wrote:I hope Rand Paul fully recovers. But how did he get a test without symptoms or contacts with a known carrier “out of an abundance of caution” while people with full blown symptoms are pleading for them?
No shit. I was already wondering last week how the fuck someone decids the entire fucking NBA gets tests but still none for front line healthcare workers. :angry:
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo »

dead_elvis wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 15:23
I'm just curious, are blind trusts a real defense, or are they more of a fig leaf?
Depends on the person and the trust. I would say largely fig leaf.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Kinda blows me away that there are *still* people who don't realize that the internet is everyone, and not just your buddies in your own socio-economic class. I'm sure people who lost their jobs and insurance are relieved that David Geffen ok and not suffering in isolation.

Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 14:14
Kinda blows me away that there are *still* people who don't realize that the internet is everyone, and not just your buddies in your own socio-economic class. I'm sure people who lost their jobs and insurance are relieved that David Geffen ok and not suffering in isolation.

Yeah well. The thing is, David Geffen and his buds are on the internet too. It's kind of stupid to be saying only things that are relevant and acceptable to everybody should be posted on the internet because everybody is on the internet.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Warren wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 14:18
The thing is, David Geffen and his buds are on the internet too. It's kind of stupid to be saying only things that are relevant and acceptable to everybody should be posted on the internet because everybody is on the internet.

If one goes to a rough dive bar and starts bragging about how wealthy they are, they might get anything from dirty looks to punched, as opposed to a bar in a posh part of town, where all the other wealthy people hang out. With the internet, the whole world is a dive bar. And the dive bar just got divier.

The internet hasn't changed already long established social norms around these things. I don't begrudge someone complaining about not being able to get a decent mechanic for the Ferrari and all the other various problems of being a very wealthy person or a hobbyist with an expensive hobby. It's all relative, and especially among friends one is happy for others' successes. But I think it hasn't sunk in with some people that putting something on the internet isn't just chatting with your friends, it's shouting it from the rooftops, to people who might not take what is said in the same spirit.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

dead_elvis wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 16:26
Warren wrote:
The thing is, David Geffen and his buds are on the internet too. It's kind of stupid to be saying only things that are relevant and acceptable to everybody should be posted on the internet because everybody is on the internet.

If one goes to a rough dive bar and starts bragging about how wealthy they are, they might get anything from dirty looks to punched, as opposed to a bar in a posh part of town, where all the other wealthy people hang out. With the internet, the whole world is a dive bar. And the dive bar just got divier.

The internet hasn't changed already long established social norms around these things. I don't begrudge someone complaining about not being able to get a decent mechanic for the Ferrari and all the other various problems of being a very wealthy person or a hobbyist with an expensive hobby. It's all relative, and especially among friends one is happy for others' successes. But I think it hasn't sunk in with some people that putting something on the internet isn't just chatting with your friends, it's shouting it from the rooftops, to people who might not take what is said in the same spirit.
Agreed. Twitter really shouldn't be used for that kind of stuff. Be like taking out an ad in the newspaper. There's a time and a place.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Painboy wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 19:01
dead_elvis wrote:
Warren wrote:

Agreed. Twitter really shouldn't be used for that kind of stuff. Be like taking out an ad in the newspaper. There's a time and a place.
Yeah this is why Al Gore made Facebook.

I've got most of my posts set not just to friends-only but to a friends-except-this-list-of-people-who're-worth-keeping-a-connection-to-but-don't-need-to-see-my-shitposting.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole »

dead_elvis wrote:
Warren wrote:

Pretty sure it works in both/all directions. It only looks like a dive bar if dive bar people are more numerous.

I had actually come here to do a reverse “this is how you get guillotines” post about poor people’s pandemic complaints so.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I don't recall the name, but I remember reading about some famous celebrity athlete -- famous enough that even a non-sportsfan like me knows the name -- who was an utter jerk/asshole off-field. As one example of his assholery, it mentioned how after he made it big, he'd go back to visit the dirt-poor friends and relatives of his younger days, and there, in front of people who were really poor and struggling, he'd do deliberate mega-showoff things like, to pay for a 50-cent item in a store he'd pull out a thick wad of $100 bills. That particular kind of showing off -- not merely flaunting your wealth in a competitive way with the other wealthy members of your rich country club, but around people who are suffering actual poverty, or at least extreme precariousness re: their lower-middle-class existence -- is assholish in the extreme. Granted, Geffen and celebrities like him thought they were in a country-club context rather than the po' people store, but at a time of a literal worldwide pandemic-spawned business shutdown, you really need to act like the whole world is that po-folks store, so for fuck's sake do NOT show off your thick pile of $100 bills while so many people are worried about being able to afford the 50-cent things they need.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

And in the Making David Geffen Look Positively Fucking Woke department:

https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/03/29/ ... s-payment/
OKC-based company wants to keep employees’ $1,200 stimulus payments….
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 14:29

Yeah, I posted the Austin story on FB a day or two ago. Definitely a Montgomery Burns Award winner.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 14:29

When the Army of Doomed Coughers marches to Mar Lago, they'll make a stopover in OKC to cough on that CEO.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely