Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Aresen

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Aresen »

Thunderf00t has a pretty good video about the Coronavirus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPi1KYanh4
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

There’s a fine line between edgy and fucking stupid and Robin Hanson manages to blow by that line.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I assume I just missed the part where he volunteered to go first.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hugh Akston wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 20:12 I assume I just missed the part where he volunteered to go first.
That suggestion is about the most common response.

I'm just wondering about applying this to other domains. Start random fires in the city so as to even the load for firefighters? Have the police put sharpshooters on buildings and randomly take out groups of us dirty civilians to even the load on EMS?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Eric the .5b wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 21:17
Hugh Akston wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 20:12 I assume I just missed the part where he volunteered to go first.
That suggestion is about the most common response.

I'm just wondering about applying this to other domains. Start random fires in the city so as to even the load for firefighters? Have the police put sharpshooters on buildings and randomly take out groups of us dirty civilians to even the load on EMS?
I thought that's what SWAT teams were for.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Mo wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 19:53 There’s a fine line between edgy and fucking stupid and Robin Hanson manages to blow by that line.

Having a normal rational one.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Mo wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 19:53 There’s a fine line between edgy and fucking stupid and Robin Hanson manages to blow by that line.

He obliterated that line years ago, right? (He's the 'raise my own clone' guy, correct?)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I think clone-boy is Thiel.
nicole

Post by nicole »

...oh

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I have heard that some Chinese restaurants are seeing lower traffic due to Coronavirus fears. I don't know if that's true but I'm using it as an excuse to support my local Chinese restaurant a whole bunch this week :D
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I hear coronavirus is a lot more palatable if it comes with a slice of Lyme disease.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

One of our QC techs went home to China for New Years', and just got back this week.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

I was supposed to head out to Singapore next Friday to check it out before a potential move canceled due to Coronavirus fears.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JD

Post by JD »

The really scary thing about this article is that some people in the US will read it and applaud.
Mobile phones—which, like social media accounts, are linked to Chinese citizens’ national identity numbers—are an integral part of China’s surveillance. Now they’re a key part of its virus-containment efforts. China’s big three state-owned phone carriers have responded to the call last month by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology to contribute data to fight the outbreak. As of Feb. 12, China Mobile Ltd.’s 300-strong big-data team had fulfilled more than 400 government requests for data on people’s movement. China Telecom Corp. has helped 24 provinces install a system that lets officials and medical staff record and monitor people’s personal, health, and travel information. It’s also adding systems at office buildings that track people’s identities and health through facial recognition and automatic temperature gauges.
In recent weeks, China has turned to low-tech tactics. Across the country, scores of neighborhood committee members have been deployed to take people’s temperatures each day and record their whereabouts. Earlier this month, a group of young women in red down jackets and flimsy surgical masks went door-to-door in Beijing’s Shichahai neighborhood with clipboards to record residents’ temperatures, ID numbers, and recent travel. One, a party member who said she oversees 500 households, told a Bloomberg reporter that as a disease prevention measure, the community would now restrict outsiders from entering—including grocery deliverymen—on orders “from above.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... oronavirus
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

OTOH
One hundred million or so people in China have been, ahem, persuaded to download a party-propaganda app named “Study Xi, Strong Nation,” which makes users watch inculcation videos and take quizzes in a gamified, points-based system. It also allegedly gives the government access to the complete contents of users’ phones. It almost doesn’t matter whether the app contains such backdoor access or not: Reasonable people will act as if it does and be wary in all of their communications. Xi has also expanded China’s system of cameras linked to facial-recognition databases, which may someday be able to identify people everywhere they go. Again, the actual workings of the system are secondary to their chilling effects: For ordinary people, the safe assumption is that if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, the authorities will know.
It’s not clear why Xi let things spin so far out of control. It might be that he brushed aside concerns from his aides until it was too late, but a stronger possibility is that he did not know the crucial details. Hubei authorities may have lied, not just to the public but also upward—to the central government. Just as Mao didn’t know about the massive crop failures, Xi may not have known that a novel coronavirus with sustained human-to-human transmission was brewing into a global pandemic until too late.
If people are too afraid to talk, and if punishing people for “rumors” becomes the norm, a doctor punished for spreading news of a disease in one province becomes just another day, rather than an indication of impending crisis. Later, under criticism, Xi would say he gave instructions for fighting the virus as early as January 7, implying that he knew about it all along. But how could he admit the alternative? This is his system.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Mo

Post by Mo »

Here's a pro tip, don't take medical advice from the guy with lung cancer that tells you smoking doesn't cause cancer.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I mean he's not wrong about the mortality rate. Everything else is cuckoo bullshit
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 12:53 I mean he's not wrong about the mortality rate. Everything else is cuckoo bullshit
I think the mortality rate might rise if it became a pandemic. From what I've seen so far, it seems to affect people differently, with cases ranging from 'mild fever' to 'severe illness requiring intense treatment.' If the case load rose to the hundreds of millions, the number of 'severe' cases might overload the medical system and a higher percentage of infected people might die. I have no idea what that higher percentage might be.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Millions of people infected in this country and mere tens of thousands dying would be kinda big.

But "weaponizing" "bioweapons"? You think the jackass could actually write up a script ahead of time for his show.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

2% death rate is pretty high. The flu kills about 0.1% or so.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 13:15 2% death rate is pretty high. The flu kills about 0.1% or so.
2% is on par with the Spanish Flu, which killed 50 million people in a much less populous and globalized world.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

I've read a few things about the virus possibility originating in a Chinese weapons lab. The claim is that there is one such lab in Wuhan. Additionally the critters used in the experiments are often sold on the side after their usefulness is done. That being how others got infected.

While government incompetence is usually a solid foundation for a crisis, I'd have to hear a lot more evidence to convince me of it this case.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

As a matter of principle, I don't wish the death of anyone including Limbaugh, but I'll be happy when the stupid quotient drops after he's gone.
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 13:50 As a matter of principle, I don't wish the death of anyone including Limbaugh, but I'll be happy when the stupid quotient drops after he's gone.
The SQ never drops. There's always a bigger stupid.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Mo

Post by Mo »

Painboy wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 13:37 I've read a few things about the virus possibility originating in a Chinese weapons lab. The claim is that there is one such lab in Wuhan. Additionally the critters used in the experiments are often sold on the side after their usefulness is done. That being how others got infected.

While government incompetence is usually a solid foundation for a crisis, I'd have to hear a lot more evidence to convince me of it this case.
Aside from Breitbart, Infowars or Tom Cotton, has there been anyone stating that? Last I heard it came from pangolins at a wet market.