Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Pham Nuwen

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Almost every covid patient I've worked on had covid back in April and May. Its theorized they have a reservoir of some type like in the kidneys or along the wall of an artery. But that's not proof of anything since we dont know.

Could just be the tests failed. I havent seen or heard anything beyond the fact that people that had covid a month or two ago sometimes show up with the infection again.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jennifer wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 15:29
Americans have a toxic combination of ignorance and arrogance that makes them unwelcome travelers.
This is a phenomenon I call 'belligerent ignorance'. It's not just that they're full of shit. It's that they're full of shit, hate anyone that even tries to give them unbiased factual information if it doesn't confirm their beliefs, call them liars, and ostentatiously do the opposite of what that information would logically suggest, and basically dare them liberal fucktards to say something about it.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Mo

Post by Mo »

Jennifer wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 14:58
Good but depressing article pointing out that thanks to America's idiotic covid-19 policies, literally the majority of the planet has closed its doors to Americans. If you'd like to leave the US for business or vacation, these are your current options:
1. Albania | 15. Lebanon
2. Antigua and Barbuda | 16. Maldives
3. Aruba | 17. Mexico
4. The Bahamas | 18. North Macedonia
5. Barbados | 19. St. Lucia
6. Belize | 20. St. Maarten
7. Bermuda | 21. St. Vincent &
8. Croatia | 22. Serbia
9. Dominican Republic | 23. Tanzania
10. Ecuador* | 24. Turkey
11. French Polynesia | 25. Turks &
12. Ireland* | 26. Ukraine
13. Jamaica | 27. UAE*
14. Kosovo | 28. UK*
29. South Korea*

*14 day quarantine required, not included in map. Someone wrote that Korea is accepting Americans with a quarantine also, but that's not in the source article. I have (now) included it here.
That’s the near future of the United States. An epidemic that spreads largely unchecked until next year. A population too unprotected and ignorant to be allowed anywhere else. A world that largely suppresses the virus — from Mongolia to Ghana to Trinidad & Tobago — but which has to keep America in isolation.

In the end, Trump did what he said. He built a wall around America and made the world pay for it. He just never told Americans that they’d be stuck inside.
Mo, you're damned lucky your bosses sent you out of the US when they did. IIRC, you got offered the Singapore gig after the pandemic started? Had you been in the US at the time, you likely wouldn't be allowed to take it because Singapore wouldn't let you in.

I'm sure the "Hillary would've been worse" crowd will figure out a way to spin this, though.
I meant to post this in the not petty not misery thread, but I’m stuck in the U.K. because of Singapore’s strict entry rules. I have an employment pass, but for all long term pass holders, you need government permission to enter, on top of a two week quarantine unless you come from a small handful of countries (Japan, NZ, Oz, China, Taiwan, etc.). So I’m trying again in 3 weeks. Hopefully with the end of the xenophobic election, all will be good in 2 weeks time. So right now US=UK as far as Singapore goes.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Mo wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 18:00
I’m stuck in the U.K. because of Singapore’s strict entry rules. I have an employment pass, but for all long term pass holders, you need government permission to enter, on top of a two week quarantine unless you come from a small handful of countries (Japan, NZ, Oz, China, Taiwan, etc.). So I’m trying again in 3 weeks. Hopefully with the end of the xenophobic election, all will be good in 2 weeks time. So right now US=UK as far as Singapore goes.
If that article is accurate, the US is still worse than the UK, at least as far as getting into Singapore is concerned: for US travelers, there's only five countries in the world which will, at least, allow us in IF we go into immediate two-week quarantine, but Singapore isn't one of them even though, as you say, it WILL allow this for UK travelers.

If you were in the US right now, and your bosses still really, REALLY wanted you in Singapore within the next couple months (and were willing to foot the bill), maybe they could do it by first sending you to the UK, one of the five countries which IS accepting Americans provided we quarantine, then once you're cleared to be in the UK, starting the UK-to-Singapore process you're dealing with now, going there ASAP and sitting through another two weeks of quarantine. Maybe. I have no idea if Singapore and others on the "No Americans, no way" list would allow such a loophole for Americans who have been here since March or so. But even if they did, obviously the time and expense involved -- four weeks quarantine minimum before you can even THINK of actually visiting or doing anything in the country in question -- makes it far too expensive and time-consuming for a typical American without their employer's support and financial backing to do.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo »

That site is about visa free travel. Right now Singapore isn’t allowing anyone not from the short list of countries to enter as a visitor. So there’s no visa free travel to Singapore for most of the world now.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Latest anti-masker takes (via Facebook memes): "It is now a conspiracy theory to believe the immune system given to us by God will do the job it was intended to do" and a VERY long paragraph starting with "Your right to breathe is the most fundamental human right imaginable ... and a corrupt government is now trying to remove that."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

L o fucking L!!!!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Jennifer wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 18:49
Latest anti-masker takes (via Facebook memes): "It is now a conspiracy theory to believe the immune system given to us by God will do the job it was intended to do"
Uh... they do know that that immune system given to us by God routinely fails, all the damn time, right? Sounds like they should dive into the trillions of words spewed over millennia discussing why god lets that happen. If nothing else it will keep them too busy to keep passing around memes.
and a VERY long paragraph starting with "Your right to breathe is the most fundamental human right imaginable ... and a corrupt government is now trying to remove that."
Speaking of anti-maskers...
0094c87c038c41ea11d6218f7ce353e7e2456c23.jpeg
0094c87c038c41ea11d6218f7ce353e7e2456c23.jpeg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 888 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 21:08
they do know
Evil Comm says "know".
given to us by God
This is worship word. Yang worship. Yang worships. He does not know. Knowing is for the Comms, the double-tongues.
Speaking of anti-maskers...

0094c87c038c41ea11d6218f7ce353e7e2456c23.jpeg
I can't remember if that was from Randazza or not, but if not they definitely took the ball and ran with it here:

https://randazza.com/2020/07/10/mask-consultation/

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Mo wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 01:36
That site is about visa free travel. Right now Singapore isn’t allowing anyone not from the short list of countries to enter as a visitor. So there’s no visa free travel to Singapore for most of the world now.
China?

Mo

Post by Mo »

China has cleaned up the problem. It was brutal, but they did it.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 15:01
With a tightly controlled media, I am skeptical China has 'cleaned up.' OTOH, they are an absolutist dictators, so maybe.

I would like to know what the situation is in the Uighur concentration camps WRT to COVID-19. (Not limited to COVID-19, of course, but it would be an interesting side issue to China's claims to have contained the virus.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

Aresen wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 15:27
Mo wrote:
With a tightly controlled media, I am skeptical China has 'cleaned up.' OTOH, they are an absolutist dictators, so maybe.

I would like to know what the situation is in the Uighur concentration camps WRT to COVID-19. (Not limited to COVID-19, of course, but it would be an interesting side issue to China's claims to have contained the virus.)
Knowing China, I'm guessing it's "hmmm, what's the best euphemism to use for 'two birds with one stone?'"
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo »

Aresen wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 15:27
Mo wrote:

I’m sure it’s cleaned up in the major areas of China. As for the interior, China DGAF (and Singapore is strict about where in China you can come from for ease of entry).

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Even Alabama's governor has implemented a statewide mask mandate.

Meanwhile, Georgia's governor Brian Kemp has made it illegal for cities or counties to have mask mandates of their own. (Mask-wearing is encouraged, but cannot be mandated.)

Jake

Post by Jake »

Jennifer wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 03:02
Even Alabama's governor has implemented a statewide mask mandate.

Meanwhile, Georgia's governor Brian Kemp has made it illegal for cities or counties to have mask mandates of their own. (Mask-wearing is encouraged, but cannot be mandated.)
Mask wearing cannot be mandated. Hmm... can non-mask-wearing be banned, then?

When morons write laws, there's always a loophole. ;)
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

A couple days ago, Chuck Woolery the Trumpster ex-game show host presumably felt proud of himself, when Trump himself retweeted one of Woolery's "covid-19 is a hoax" posts.

On July 12, Woolery made yet another "covid-19 is all a hoax" tweet.

On July 13, he tweeted "To further clarify and add perspective, covid-19 is real and it is here. My son tested positive for the virus, and I feel for of [sic] those suffering and especially those who have lost loved ones."

Then he deleted his Twitter account, presumably because he figured that would be easier and quicker than individually deleting all of his "covid-19 is a hoax" tweets.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 17:33
A couple days ago, Chuck Woolery the Trumpster ex-game show host presumably felt proud of himself, when Trump himself retweeted one of Woolery's "covid-19 is a hoax" posts.

On July 12, Woolery made yet another "covid-19 is all a hoax" tweet.

On July 13, he tweeted "To further clarify and add perspective, covid-19 is real and it is here. My son tested positive for the virus, and I feel for of [sic] those suffering and especially those who have lost loved ones."

Then he deleted his Twitter account, presumably because he figured that would be easier and quicker than individually deleting all of his "covid-19 is a hoax" tweets.
I feel sorry for his son. At least there's wayback, so we'll always have a record of his assininity.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Despite knowing nothing about his son's condition, nor even his name or age, I'm going to guess he is very sick, because if he tested positive despite being asymptomatic, or having only a mild illness, Woolery would've used that as further ammunition for his "it's a hoax" claims.

Jake

Post by Jake »

Wait, are you saying I can't rely on Chuck Woolery for expert health advice? Nonsense!

Next you'll be telling me that Wink Martindale isn't the right guy to look to when I'm a pro se defendant in a capital case!
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I just liked this bit of shade.

@KenJennings
I’m better at game shows than Chuck Woolery, wear a mask.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

A golf club in Atlanta had to be shut down for decontamination after 67 employees tested positive. Test results for another 40 employees are pending.

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ansle ... MO3WYSQKA/

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

More stuff on the possibility of super spreaders being the significant cause of transmission.

‘Superspreading’ events, triggered by people who may not even know they are infected, propel coronavirus pandemic
As we enter the seventh month of the global pandemic, scientists are still frustratingly in the dark when it comes to key aspects of how the virus is transmitted.

Why, for instance, didn’t the earliest infections in the United States, or the infamous Lake of the Ozarks party, spur lots of cases, while a much smaller gathering at a Michigan bar produced nearly 200? Why out of countless large gatherings held — church services, soccer games, choir rehearsals, and Zumba classes — did only a fraction ignite significant infections?

Part of the uneven spread of the coronavirus — and the phenomenon of superspreading — can be explained by extreme individual variation in infectivity, researchers say.

Some people will not transmit the virus to anyone, contact tracing has shown, while others appear to spread the virus with great efficiency. Overall, researchers have estimated in recent studies that some 10 to 20 percent of the infected may be responsible for 80 percent of all cases.

Mo

Post by Mo »

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case, but unless you can identify who is or is not a super spreader I’m not sure how you would change guidance much. Avoid large groups, keep people outside, wear masks.