Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

thoreau

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by thoreau »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 May 2020, 22:43
Am I supposed to believe Trump has ever listened to a Guns and Roses song?
His Treasury Secretary is currently in a Twitter feud with Axl Rose.

"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Goddammit. I'm going to bed. We shall not speak if this again.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 May 2020, 22:43
Am I supposed to believe Trump has ever listened to a Guns and Roses song?
I can believe it. They were right there at the top of playlists when stadiums switched over from organ music to jock jams in the 90s and Trump I think frequently enough attended sporting events - and WWE events.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Plus the song itself is a James Bond theme song.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

Kolohe wrote:
07 May 2020, 19:17
Not the GnR version.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Shem wrote:
07 May 2020, 21:04
Kolohe wrote:
07 May 2020, 19:17
Not the GnR version.
I assume that's why he said "the song itself" as opposed to the recording?

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

The cops are claiming there is a lot of high-speed driving happening while the roads are relatively open due to COVID-19. This story caught my eye:

York police impound 9 vehicles for stunt driving, call 16-year-old driver's mom during arrest

I am sure, for a 16-year-old, this would be the worst punishment:
A police officer pulled over the car and had the young man call his mother, who was apparently unaware that her son had left the house with her car.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote:
13 May 2020, 00:26
The cops are claiming there is a lot of high-speed driving happening while the roads are relatively open due to COVID-19. This story caught my eye:

York police impound 9 vehicles for stunt driving, call 16-year-old driver's mom during arrest

I am sure, for a 16-year-old, this would be the worst punishment:
A police officer pulled over the car and had the young man call his mother, who was apparently unaware that her son had left the house with her car.
"I wondered why it was so quite at home, officer. Tell me, do you have to bring him back?"

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Nearly 40% of Icelanders are using a covid app—and it hasn’t helped much
Many are hopeful that the vast reach of these Silicon Valley giants will overcome some of the social and technical hurdles faced by tracing apps. But if a small, socially- cohesive, and geographically isolated nation like Iceland can only achieve 38% penetration, that could suggest that efforts in other countries will struggle to get the level of adoption required.
Still, Iceland has managed to flatten its coronavirus curve and keep its outbreaks largely under control. Today it has had just over 1,800 confirmed cases and 10 deaths. Case numbers have remained more or less static for several weeks, and the last confirmed covid-19 death was on April 19.
This is all despite the fact that the country has not enacted many of the more drastic social policies seen elsewhere—an approach that has lead to some criticism. While movement has been curtailed and there have been restrictions on the size of gatherings, primary schools and even some restaurants have remained open, using a mixture of social distancing and a “bubble” strategy where classes and workplaces are divided into discrete units that do not interact with each other.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Shem

Post by Shem »

There are a lot of tactics that can and do work on a small-scale with a homogenous population that will fall apart if you try to increase their size. If I'm trying to save Detroit, Iceland isn't necessarily the place I'd go to test things.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote:
14 May 2020, 21:56
There are a lot of tactics that can and do work on a small-scale with a homogenous population that will fall apart if you try to increase their size. If I'm trying to save Detroit, Iceland isn't necessarily the place I'd go to test things.
Do we know what's working in Mogadishu?

Look at me. Look at me! I'm the asshole now!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 15:31
Have there been any claims from the "don't tread on our freedoms" crowds that increased mask-wearing produces increased crime because people know they're less recognizable? I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard anybody fearmongering about that yet.
I've been amusing myself writing a fake call-to-arms about this. "Quick, while we're all wearing masks, loot the stores! You won't be identifiable on camera, and if anyone tries to chase you, you'll already have a six-foot headstart!"
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Ellie wrote:
16 May 2020, 20:50
Ellie wrote:
Have there been any claims from the "don't tread on our freedoms" crowds that increased mask-wearing produces increased crime because people know they're less recognizable? I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard anybody fearmongering about that yet.
I've been amusing myself writing a fake call-to-arms about this. "Quick, while we're all wearing masks, loot the stores! You won't be identifiable on camera, and if anyone tries to chase you, you'll already have a six-foot headstart!"
I have to believe that many a kid in many a convenience store have already figured that out. I doubt it would work at Tiffany's, though.

Shem

Post by Shem »

I am getting a little tired of everyone I meet looking like a pervert from a Japanese visual novel.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote:
16 May 2020, 20:57
I am getting a little tired of everyone I meet looking like a pervert from a Japanese visual novel.
To be fair that's on you for ever having read a Japanese visual novel. Some seeds you just don't plant.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
17 May 2020, 09:52
On the other hand, some people don't seem to have quite figured out the whole "mask" thing yet.
The dispatcher, who did not give their name, would not provide the name of the person arrested. The dispatcher said the arrest occurred “a few days ago” and that only one person was arrested. They did not say whether that person has been charged in connection to the alleged larceny or in any other crime.
I didn't think the police were allowed to arrest people secretly.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem »

Warren wrote:
17 May 2020, 10:48
JD wrote:
On the other hand, some people don't seem to have quite figured out the whole "mask" thing yet.
The dispatcher, who did not give their name, would not provide the name of the person arrested. The dispatcher said the arrest occurred “a few days ago” and that only one person was arrested. They did not say whether that person has been charged in connection to the alleged larceny or in any other crime.
Dispatcher can't or won't say=/=secretly.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote:
17 May 2020, 13:36
Warren wrote:
JD wrote:
Then they should have asked somebody that would say. News outlets use to have a guy whose job it was to do that every day.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Ellie wrote:
16 May 2020, 20:50
Ellie wrote:
I've seen it the other way:

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote:
17 May 2020, 14:58
Shem wrote:
17 May 2020, 13:36
Warren wrote:
JD wrote:
Then they should have asked somebody that would say. News outlets use to have a guy whose job it was to do that every day.
If the guy was (1) arrested for whatever crime melonious theft may be in that state and (2) is an adult, the information would be on the "police blotter" and common knowledge. Probably not if he is a minor and perhaps not if, as sometimes happens, no actual arrest / formal charges were brought. Being in custody and being under arrest are two separate legal statuses.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Dude goes to a party that blatantly violates quarantine order. Shoots self in groin.

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... police-say

If it hit the balls, I call it a solid win for natural selection.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

JD

Post by JD »

Just in case anybody acts like Americans are uniquely weird and/or stupid about coronavirus and social distancing:
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... strictions
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote:
18 May 2020, 11:21
Just in case anybody acts like Americans are uniquely weird and/or stupid about coronavirus and social distancing:
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... strictions
Ah, but Europeans will start going on about how this is our fault, too. They're incapable of coming up with their own bad ideas.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.