Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Highway

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Highway »

Yeah, like it looks like on that first graph that China's fatalities per day were about 60% of the US, but because of the log scale, it's actually 10% of the US (US 10 times larger at 2000 per day vs China at 200 per day) (with the caveat that we actually believe the numbers from China). Even from the next group of countries below the US - UK, Spain, and Italy - it looks like it's just a little bit more, but in numbers it's 2x (2000 vs under 1000).

I'm sure that there are a lot of factors that make the US look worse relatively: Much larger populations than those other countries (they are total deaths, not deaths per capita); Likely more testing and/or transparency than other (poorer) countries with larger populations (like India, China, Indonesia, Pakistan, the other countries in the top 5 population). But even with those factors... it's still bad.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Huh. So are the graphs at least correct? There have been way more deaths this year even counting the current covid deaths?

My thought process was there is a strong correlation they are just Covid deaths without the diagnosis. Is that at least correct?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Highway wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 12:04
Likely more testing and/or transparency than other (poorer) countries with larger populations (like India, China, Indonesia, Pakistan, the other countries in the top 5 population). But even with those factors... it's still bad.
Transparency means that we simply can't believe China's numbers, and India's are suspect as Hell..and those are the only two countries with larger populations than the US.

It's probably going to involve a lot of statistical mucking around to even get a vague idea of what the full death toll has been in a lot of countries, and to compare them apples-to-apples with the different forms of undercounting in Europe and the US.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Highway

Post by Highway »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 14:38
Huh. So are the graphs at least correct? There have been way more deaths this year even counting the current covid deaths?

My thought process was there is a strong correlation they are just Covid deaths without the diagnosis. Is that at least correct?
Yes, I agree with you on that. I wasn't trying to cast doubt on the FT article. More boggling at the realities that it displays, and that the way they chose to display them makes it look better than it actually is.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Log scale is great if you want to compare growth rates. In the early days, that was clearly the most important thing to look at, so people wound up plotting everything on a log scale.

(Also, log scale is probably good for comparing like quality of response, since interventions are gonna push on the growth rate, not the level. And it sort of washes out difference in total population, for better or worse.)

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Highway wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 15:20
Pham Nuwen wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 14:38

Yes, I agree with you on that. I wasn't trying to cast doubt on the FT article. More boggling at the realities that it displays, and that the way they chose to display them makes it look better than it actually is.
I think I misunderstood you. Sorry about that.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Dirty money piling up in L.A. as coronavirus cripples international money laundering

Alright, that's it. We need to lift the lock-downs and get the economy rolling again. The sick and the old needs thinning out anyhow.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Things really are starting to get back to normal
Top U.S. health official Anthony Fauci will not testify next week to a congressional committee examining the Trump administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, the White House said on Friday, calling it “counterproductive” to have individuals involved in the response testify.
“While the Trump administration continues its whole-of-government response to COVID-19, including safely opening up America again and expediting vaccine development, it is counter-productive to have the very individuals involved in those efforts appearing at congressional hearings,” White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement. “We are committed to working with Congress to offer testimony at the appropriate time.”
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

JD wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 10:36
My wife has decided to start offering masks for sale. I can get anyone here a discount if you want, and please spread the word in case anybody else is interested.

Probably should have started offering these for sale weeks ago, but oh well...
Just wanted to let everyone know: the masks we ordered arrived today, and they are MUCH higher quality than we expected! We didn't know they'd have a cloth lining in addition to the outer cloth. (Also, they cost much less than the masks Jeff had already ordered from an official "company.") So if anyone is in the market for reusable cloth face masks, I can recommend these for reasons which have nothing to do with my personal connection to the seller.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Don't suppose she's got a design with an elastic or similar strap rather than a knotted version? I'm fairly confident that I'll never be able to tie a knot behind my own head that will hold, be un-tiable when I'm done, and not entrain a bunch of my hair in the knot.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Yes, you can choose between elastics or ties.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote:
02 May 2020, 16:13
Just wanted to let everyone know: the masks we ordered arrived today, and they are MUCH higher quality than we expected! We didn't know they'd have a cloth lining in addition to the outer cloth. (Also, they cost much less than the masks Jeff had already ordered from an official "company.") So if anyone is in the market for reusable cloth face masks, I can recommend these for reasons which have nothing to do with my personal connection to the seller.
Thanks, Jennifer! I'm glad you're happy with the masks, and we really appreciate the kind words!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

lunchstealer wrote:
02 May 2020, 17:28
Don't suppose she's got a design with an elastic or similar strap rather than a knotted version? I'm fairly confident that I'll never be able to tie a knot behind my own head that will hold, be un-tiable when I'm done, and not entrain a bunch of my hair in the knot.
And yes, as Jennifer said, you can get elastic instead. I have a slight preference for ties, but I have a buzzcut - and even so, I have to agree that tying a good double knot behind your own head is a bit of an acquired skill...
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Russian hospitals gotta stop leaving those windows open
Dr. Alexander Shulepov, 37, suffered critical head injuries after appearing in a video in which he claimed he was ordered to work despite testing positive for the deadly disease, East2West reported.
The doctor was gravely injured Saturday, when he plummeted from a second-floor window while being treated at Novousmanskaya district hospital, the news site reported.

Shulepov had been filmed with Alexander Kosyakin, a paramedic who had been called by police under suspicion of spreading misinformation after complaining about PPE shortages.
In another case, coronavirus-stricken Dr. Natalya Lebedeva, 48, fell to her death from the sixth floor of a Moscow hospital after co-workers said she was unfairly blamed for the spread of the virus at her clinic in Star City, the training center for cosmonauts.

And Dr. Yelena Nepomnyashchaya, 47, suffered fatal injuries after falling from a window at her Krasnoyarsk hospital after colleagues said she had complained about an “acute shortage” of PPE.
Coronoavirus precautions for medical professionals are slightly different in Russia.
The hospital’s chief doctor, Igor Potanin, has refused to comment.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Defenestration has not gone out of style in Russia.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

So mask truthers are a thing now? Fuck.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Yup. When even the likes of American Conservative magazine are telling conservatives to stop being such idiots, you know the right wing's gone completely off the rails.

ETA: Pham's referring to this article I posted on Facebook earlier today.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Man you'd think a Senior Editor would get a salary rather than being paid by the word.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Pieces parts!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Kolohe wrote:
05 May 2020, 12:01
We are all Clara Peller now.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/nearly- ... -says.html
This is how you get Soylent Green.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

BTW I got that twit from work Slack, where people were all "SWAT deployment seems reasonable because the protesters were armed" and "Where can I get one of those SWAT vehicles looool". Sometimes I forget how much distance there really is between me and the normies.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Am I supposed to believe Trump has ever listened to a Guns and Roses song?