Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Unlike our president I'm not qualified to opine on such things, but this strikes me as a very promising short-term approach.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Why is the mortality rate in Italy so high?

Country Cases Deaths
China 81,008 3,255
Italy 47,021 4,032
Spain 21,510 1,093
Germany 19,848 68
Iran 19,644 1,433
USA 19,643 263
France 12,612 450
S. Korea 8,799 102
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Well China's are made up fairy tale numbers but I agree it's perplexing.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 23:13
If China is fudging the numbers, it will blow up within a couple of months.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:58
Multi-generational households.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Twba

Post by Twba »

Germans drink 3 times as much beer per capita as Italians. Beer may not be the answer but I am not taking any chances.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Aresen wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:58

Country Cases Deaths
China 81,008 3,255
Italy 47,021 4,032
Spain 21,510 1,093
Germany 19,848 68
Iran 19,644 1,433
USA 19,643 263
France 12,612 450
S. Korea 8,799 102
From what I have read Italy was uniquely vulnerable due to it's culture and not realizing the level of the threat.

- Italians typically greet by kissing each other's cheeks. This likely increased the spread significantly.
- They traditionally keep their old folks at home with the family instead of a nursing care facilities.
- They didn't know how rapidly it spread which meant their hospitals were quickly overwhelmed when people started falling ill.
- Because there were so many old people infected and all at once they didn't have anywhere near enough ventilators to go around. Had all those people been able to get ventilators the death rate would likely be significantly lower and more inline with other countries.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Aresen wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 23:34
Pham Nuwen wrote:
I think you are underestimating the bullet to back of head treatment in china.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 00:19
Aresen wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 23:34
Pham Nuwen wrote:
I think you are underestimating the bullet to back of head treatment in china.
Not sure what direction you are taking that. I was thinking that, if C19 has continued to spread in China (and the Chinese government is concealing it), then the number of cases will quickly rise to catastophic levels that could not be concealed.

My main concern is India, which is reporting only 247 cases so far. That number seems low, though their may be factors like low mobility which are confining the disease. But I don't see India having the capacity to enforce a lockdown or practice 'social distancing.'

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 00:53

Not sure what direction you are taking that. I was thinking that, if C19 has continued to spread in China (and the Chinese government is concealing it), then the number of cases will quickly rise to catastophic levels that could not be concealed.

It's not that deadly. I think it likely that it is catastrophic in China and they are still lying about it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

I could imagine Italy reporting numbers about hospital preparedness etc that weren't entirely true ...
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 06:20
I'm supposed to do jury duty on March 30. Right now, I'm kind of wondering if there will still be courtroom activities going on then.
Update: nope.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Twba

Post by Twba »

If you only test the very ill, the death rate will be much higher than if you test with typical German efficiency and precision.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Fun thing to come across:

Now, I have to worry about what psycho idiot Trump appoints if Pence catches this and dies...and then Trump gets sick. Can Trump pick a worse president than himself?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

To be fair, Zoom is super awkward about making your video and audio mute if you aren't used to the interface.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 06:54
Now, I have to worry about what psycho idiot Trump appoints if Pence catches this and dies...and then Trump gets sick. Can Trump pick a worse president than himself?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I hear Charlie Sheen is available.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Also, Italy is the second oldest country in the world. The thing is the part of Italy being hit is the wealthy part of Italy that is more like Northern Europe, rather than the southern part.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I suppose maybe there is benefit to trying to keep kids on a familiar routine but, ugh :roll:

LOVE: Families & kiddos in Broadview Heights come out and do the Pledge of Allegiance together every morning while schools are shut down. Social distancing done right!
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

dead_elvis wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 14:28
LOVE: Families & kiddos in Broadview Heights come out and do the Pledge of Allegiance together every morning while schools are shut down. Social distancing done right!
Can COVID-19 be transmitted in vomit? Because this is making me barf UNSTOPPABLY
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Of possible validity and interest: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22648580

Someone posted the article text in comments, since load had taken the original down, but there are claims that loss or reduction of a sense of smell us a symptom, even in otherwise asymptomatic patients. (Sorry, Jennifer.). Interesting if it pans out.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Well, hyper-diminished sense of smell is my standard state, so even if I do have the virus, I wouldn't know it from THAT.

I just got back from a grocery trip where I bought various "weird foods" (i.e. stuff I'd normally never buy): namely, canned meats and a small box of powdered milk, both for emergencies. (The milk would be for cooking, not drinking.) It occurred to me: of course I am not worried about stores outright closing, or food being unavailable -- but I AM worried about a situation where a store is only allowed X number of people at a time, and meanwhile there's a long long line of people waiting to get in ... and I'm in Atlanta where we're ALREADY getting temps and relative humidity rates in the 80s, in March. So it's not even a case of "I don't WANT to stand in line for several hours in Atlanta summer heat," so much as "I seriously doubt I am medically CAPABLE of doing this."

So on my food shelves now, I have two cans of Vienna sausages (which are pure ugh when eaten right out of the can, but in an emergency, I could maybe slice them, pan-fry them and add them to beans); two cans each of corned beef and roast beef hash, and two cans of store-brand "roast beef in gravy."

I'm not remotely the only one to have such an idea: the canned meat section was only five or ten percent stocked. I would've bought a can or two of Spam, but they were completely sold out. Nor did they have any of the canned meat chili Jeff buys for hurricane food.

All have best-buy dates far enough in the future that if (as I hope) they remain uneaten by the time this virus burns itself out, I can give them to a food bank.

Also: wearing a triple-layer face mask plus vinyl gloves on a day that's already too warm for comfort is REALLY annoying.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I just realized: it's been over a week now, since the last time I was in a grocery store that was fully stocked and no more crowded than expected for that time of day.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

The Safeways was pretty empty of people, but it was definitely not fully stocked.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston