Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Warren

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 13:31
My Trump-loving mother-in-law keeps posting stuff mocking all the coronavirus fears. I keep knee-jerk thinking "I hope YOU get coronavirus" and then feeling guilty. But if I see one more shared shitty meme from her I'm not even going to feel guilty anymore
I know exactly what you're talking about.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Mar Lago is apparently a mecca for COVIDfefe virus sufferers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/second- ... apo-2020-3

It feels like Christmas is coming.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I’m currently kind of impressed with emergent responses to this situation. It is entirely unclear to me that a uniform national strategy would better balance distancing with economics. To be sure it depends how long this goes on, but so far not bad. The speed with which sports orgs made billion dollar decisions is kind of impressive.

My sense from checking work emails is this might be an inflection point in the use of business travel for a long time. A lot of face to face is habitual and now we are saying to clients look let’s use zoom we can’t travel for a while, and I think that behavior will stick.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JasonL wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 09:09
My sense from checking work emails is this might be an inflection point in the use of business travel for a long time. A lot of face to face is habitual and now we are saying to clients look let’s use zoom we can’t travel for a while, and I think that behavior will stick.
I think it will definitely produce a permanent reduction in the amount of business travel. I always felt a lot of it was more about the bosses 'showing themselves' than actually performing real work. The bean-counters will like it, too.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

Dug this out of the closet the other day. Considering seeing what I can get for it on eBay...

(I don't know why all the phone pictures I attach here come out sideways. They look fine everywhere else.)
IMG_20200313_143713.jpg
IMG_20200313_143713.jpg (4.54 MiB) Viewed 586 times
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo »

thoreau wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 21:53
Mar Lago is apparently a mecca for COVIDfefe virus sufferers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/second- ... apo-2020-3

It feels like Christmas is coming.
I believe it’s SARS a Lago now.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Judging from the number of FB posts I've read in the last two days advising people they can check for COVID-19 by holding their breath for 10 seconds, I have hopes the national mean IQ will be slightly higher by this time next year.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Aresen wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 10:33
JasonL wrote:
I think it will definitely produce a permanent reduction in the amount of business travel. I always felt a lot of it was more about the bosses 'showing themselves' than actually performing real work. The bean-counters will like it, too.
There’s a certain kind of client that insists upon travel as showing you care. It’s not the big dogs, but the ones who think asserting yourself like that is how big dogs do things.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 13:18
Judging from the number of FB posts I've read in the last two days advising people they can check for COVID-19 by holding their breath for 10 seconds, I have hopes the national mean IQ will be slightly higher by this time next year.
Many people on Fox News are supposedly still downplaying the virus, and their audience is in the high-risk age range.

Now all we have to do is invite some Seattle-area nursing home employees to a Trump rally...
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 13:18
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CTSSS
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

My wife made one last run to the store this morning (over my protestations). In the elevator back down to the parking garage she ended up with a couple of older ladies. They noted to each other (observing my wife's cart with one small 4 pack of TP) "see, some people are buying reasonable amounts of toilet paper".

My wife replied "well, if you run out there's always washing in the tub with water!"

Short pause

Other lady: "aaaaaand using random socks"

:D
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo »

I still find it better and more productive to be able to sit with people in a room and hash things out on a whiteboard then try to make technology work.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Technology is almost as bad as people. Almost ....
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:36
I still find it better and more productive to be able to sit with people in a room and hash things out on a whiteboard then try to make technology work.
You could be more right about this than any other thing you've ever said.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem »

JasonL wrote:
I’m currently kind of impressed with emergent responses to this situation. It is entirely unclear to me that a uniform national strategy would better balance distancing with economics.
A uniform national strategy for some aspects of this might have prevented it from becoming a national thing in the first place. Taking WHO tests and being really, really heavy on their use on the west coast and at-risk populations could quite possibly have kept it from leaving the cities.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo »

See: South Korea

nicole

Post by nicole »

I have to say I’m looking forward to a future where it’s a lot more socially unacceptable to go out when you’re sick and coughing.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 19:19
I have to say I’m looking forward to a future where it’s a lot more socially unacceptable to go out when you’re sick and coughing.

Yeah that's gonna last all of two minutes before your job demands that you die at your desk.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Shem wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 18:24
JasonL wrote:
I’m currently kind of impressed with emergent responses to this situation. It is entirely unclear to me that a uniform national strategy would better balance distancing with economics.
A uniform national strategy for some aspects of this might have prevented it from becoming a national thing in the first place. Taking WHO tests and being really, really heavy on their use on the west coast and at-risk populations could quite possibly have kept it from leaving the cities.
Yeah, to me the still-limited availability of tests, while plenty of other industrialized countries are testing en masse, is really an indictment of the government. Everyone else managed to quickly get and use lots of tests, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't because their healthcare systems are so much less statist than ours.

And this is one of those places where the profit motive is backwards. *Hands in decoder ring* If everything is done right and done quickly, you'll never need massive numbers of tests, so rapid development, production, and distribution won't be profitable. If things are done wrong, the country will need 300 million tests. The private sector has a role to play, but needs to be the customer, because if this is done right there will never be a large market for it.

I won't pretend to know enough behind the scenes stuff to say who in what agency fucked up at what point, but surely everyone knew that The Big Boss didn't want any numbers that would make this look bad. And everyone knew that he'd gone after the National Weather Service when they contradicted him about the hurricane and Alabama. That must have slowed some boss's approval of something when it counted.
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

thoreau wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 13:43
I don't understand why right-wing outlets with aging audiences are making light of the virus. Their audiences are at especially high risk of dying from this.

Are these right-wing outlets run by millennials who have a secret plan to take "Millennials are KILLING IT in this industry..." to the next level?
They've leaned so far into the LIBRUHL ELITES FAKE NEWS bullshit that there's just too much institutional inertia, probably. People who'd stop and say, "Hey Kool-Aid is nice and all but you guys I think maybe this particular batch is kinda poisony..." have all long since been handed nice severances with NDAs and non-competes, so it's only full-speed-ahead-and-damn-the-concepts-of-objective-reality types. I'm sure that when Shep Smith left Fox the last of the conscientious fact checkers started furiously faxing* resumes.

*or whatever the millennials do
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I, for one, think Trump lied when he or one of his minions said he's gotten the test and the results were negative because Trump or one of his minions said he's gotten the test and the results were negative. The odds heavily favor one or both of those claims being lies.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/1 ... rus-129405

Good chance I'll be furloughed soon.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

If the hospital gets overwhelmed with COVFEFE-19 and a bunch of staff are sick, is there useful stuff outside the OR that you could do? I know you're a surgical tech and that's a specific job, but if shit hits the fan and they need anyone who isn't sick and knows anything even vaguely medical, could you find yourself working in other roles?
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem »

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 20:34
thoreau wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 13:43
I don't understand why right-wing outlets with aging audiences are making light of the virus. Their audiences are at especially high risk of dying from this.

Are these right-wing outlets run by millennials who have a secret plan to take "Millennials are KILLING IT in this industry..." to the next level?
They've leaned so far into the LIBRUHL ELITES FAKE NEWS bullshit that there's just too much institutional inertia, probably. People who'd stop and say, "Hey Kool-Aid is nice and all but you guys I think maybe this particular batch is kinda poisony..." have all long since been handed nice severances with NDAs and non-competes, so it's only full-speed-ahead-and-damn-the-concepts-of-objective-reality types. I'm sure that when Shep Smith left Fox the last of the conscientious fact checkers started furiously faxing* resumes.

*or whatever the millennials do
Funnily enough, there's an Ayn Rand quote for that: "We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen