And Then There Were Four (The Impeachment Thread)

Mo

Re: And Then There Were Four (The Impeachment Thread)

Post by Mo » 27 Sep 2019, 03:26

Painboy wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 21:30
thoreau wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 19:40
Why would McConnell do that? His wife is in the Cabinet and her family's business seems to get a bit of a benefit from that. Why would he sink the knife in? Is he tired of Elaine and longing for the tender embrace of Mike Pence, who's getting ready to embrace his true self?
Right. Assuming he ever believed in anything, Cocaine Mitch is 100% in it for the benjanmins at this point. As long as Trump keeps the money flowing, Mitch is happy to maintain the blockade in perpetuity.
I don't know. As a status quotarian Mitch likes predictability and Trump is anything but. Benjamins are great but the risk of them suddenly disappearing on Trump's whim might be enough to motivate him to at least look the other way.
McConnell for the status quo? What? He cares about one thing, himself and his political fortunes. The only thing that would make him shift is if he was losing his Senate race. That’s why he changed his mind on election security, because Moscow Mitch was sticking.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Sep 2019, 08:45

I disagree that Team Red federal electeds despise Trump. They probably don't respect him, but they don't really have any antipathy towards what he is doing or is trying to do.

Eta and I don't think personally liking Joe is enough to break ranks with Trump. Like the mob movie cliche, this is business, not personal.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 27 Sep 2019, 10:23

Painboy wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 20:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 19:41
Rudy's melting down.
He sounds like he is legitimately going senile.
This sort of insane ranting must be a New York special. I have a coworker from NYC who is super liberal but does high-energy stream-of-consciousness non-sequitur ranting in the exact same manner.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Sep 2019, 11:05

Mo wrote:
Painboy wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Why would McConnell do that? His wife is in the Cabinet and her family's business seems to get a bit of a benefit from that. Why would he sink the knife in? Is he tired of Elaine and longing for the tender embrace of Mike Pence, who's getting ready to embrace his true self?
Right. Assuming he ever believed in anything, Cocaine Mitch is 100% in it for the benjanmins at this point. As long as Trump keeps the money flowing, Mitch is happy to maintain the blockade in perpetuity.
I don't know. As a status quotarian Mitch likes predictability and Trump is anything but. Benjamins are great but the risk of them suddenly disappearing on Trump's whim might be enough to motivate him to at least look the other way.
McConnell for the status quo? What? He cares about one thing, himself and his political fortunes. The only thing that would make him shift is if he was losing his Senate race. That’s why he changed his mind on election security, because Moscow Mitch was sticking.
Merrick Garland would very much like to meet Status Quo Mitch.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Sep 2019, 14:17

Mo wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 03:26
Painboy wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
thoreau wrote:
The status quo being Mitch gets to run the senate without Trump starting a fire every other weak that Mitch then has to deal with.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Sep 2019, 15:00

I dunno, getting to show that he's a good soldier for the favorite choice of the base might be preferable to having to spend his time looking like he's working on delivering legislative wins on issues. People might come to him and say "What have you done for me lately?" But if Trump is busy provoking fights with the media, the Congressional Dems, super models, John Legend, Denmark, Ukraine, the CIA, his own administration, etc., Mitch has a very simple answer to the "What have you done for me lately?" question. Mitch has been busy standing up to Debra Messing like a good soldier.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Sep 2019, 07:43

Ok. Hunter Biden is the latest in sketchy, dumb family members trading off their family name. But it seems weird for conservative media to hammer this because there are literally at least 4 people doing the same with the current president. Hunter Biden is sketchy, but how is it less sketchy than any Kushner/Trump stuff.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Sep 2019, 08:20

Mo wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 07:43
Ok. Hunter Biden is the latest in sketchy, dumb family members trading off their family name. But it seems weird for conservative media to hammer this because there are literally at least 4 people doing the same with the current president. Hunter Biden is sketchy, but how is it less sketchy than any Kushner/Trump stuff.
It doesn't need to be more sketchy to work out for FoxNews / Breitbart whataboutism. It just needs to be something they can point to. Hell, they're trying to bring up Hillary's emails again, anything for a distraction, since Rudy melting down on TV isn't working out so well this time.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Sep 2019, 10:26

If we elect Joe Biden we could find ourselves plagued by a presidential scion who has done sketchy business deals with people in the former Soviet Union.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Sep 2019, 10:29

thoreau wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 10:26
If we elect Joe Biden we could find ourselves plagued by a presidential scion who has done sketchy business deals with people in the former Soviet Union.
Oh god. I don't think I could take another four years of incessant whining.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Sep 2019, 11:03

Mo wrote:
OMG so much this. How in the world are supporters of this administration going to look us in the face and say nepotism is abuse of power?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Sep 2019, 11:08

JasonL wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 11:03
Mo wrote:
OMG so much this. How in the world are supporters of this administration going to look us in the face and say nepotism is abuse of power?
Simple: "^ nepotism is abuse of power"
^Biden's
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Sep 2019, 11:09

I think Bill Maher had the best take (yes, really) on Hunter Biden:
I hope like hell this Ukraine thing is what brings Trump down, but I gotta say, re Hunter Biden: politicians need to tell their fucking kids to get a fucking job. A real job. Not a "consulting" job cuz your somebody's kid. It looks swampy.
--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Sep 2019, 11:16

This stuff is making me a seriously grumpy ass because I have to watch people talk about defending the constitution from assailants like this whitleblower who is a stand in for Christopher Steele, the Main Stream Media who will do anything to remove this president, and a compliant deep state who all are activists for the DNC. I get the only valid sources are people like frikking John Solomon, a man who tried to spin Uranium One in to deep state conspiracy click gold and whose "investigative journalism" arm of The Hill was so slanted he was yeeted unto the editorial pages from the news pages. Meanwhile nothing the NYT or WaPO or WSJ even ever report are unedited to favor The Narrative that Will Destroy The Republic.

GTFO. Like I get the meeting in Trump Tower didn't mean what the most hyperventilating people wanted it to mean, but taking that meeting and not reporting it to invesitgative bodies is not nothing. Similarly, WTF are you talking about that the nature of the whistleblower is what really matters. What really matters is the redacted version of that call STILL looks like quid pro quo, especially when you pile on what Giuliani has already said in public. You may be doing something by defending this president no matter what but you aren't protecting the constitution.

The media can be asses AND the guy can be an influence peddling power abusing monstrosity stop acting like i have to choose one or the other.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Sep 2019, 11:26

JasonL wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 11:16
This stuff is making me a seriously grumpy ass because I have to watch people talk about defending the constitution from assailants like this whitleblower who is a stand in for Christopher Steele, the Main Stream Media who will do anything to remove this president, and a compliant deep state who all are activists for the DNC. I get the only valid sources are people like frikking John Solomon, a man who tried to spin Uranium One in to deep state conspiracy click gold and whose "investigative journalism" arm of The Hill was so slanted he was yeeted unto the editorial pages from the news pages. Meanwhile nothing the NYT or WaPO or WSJ even ever report are unedited to favor The Narrative that Will Destroy The Republic.

GTFO. Like I get the meeting in Trump Tower didn't mean what the most hyperventilating people wanted it to mean, but taking that meeting and not reporting it to invesitgative bodies is not nothing. Similarly, WTF are you talking about that the nature of the whistleblower is what really matters. What really matters is the redacted version of that call STILL looks like quid pro quo, especially when you pile on what Giuliani has already said in public. You may be doing something by defending this president no matter what but you aren't protecting the constitution.

The media can be asses AND the guy can be an influence peddling power abusing monstrosity stop acting like i have to choose one or the other.
I'm just fed up with the relentless cries of "This crosses the line! He must be removed from office immediately!" only to have the supposedly unconscionable thing be an unremarkable misdemeanor, save that it was committed in an exceptionally crude and inept manner.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Sep 2019, 11:31

I'm on team Russiagate was a justifiable investigation to have, but it found nothing criminal or impeachable. Which is actually fine. I'm not on team there was never anything it was all made up Steele Comey Deepstate oh my - that meeting actually happened and it was super weird, which means I'm also not on team whistleblower deepstate nevermind they always lie when man that looks like abuse of power for personal gain right there in public pronouncements.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Sep 2019, 12:13

JasonL wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 11:31
I'm on team Russiagate was a justifiable investigation to have, but it found nothing criminal or impeachable. Which is actually fine. I'm not on team there was never anything it was all made up Steele Comey Deepstate oh my - that meeting actually happened and it was super weird, which means I'm also not on team whistleblower deepstate nevermind they always lie when man that looks like abuse of power for personal gain right there in public pronouncements.
Yeah, that team is largely a straw man for Team IMPEACH NOW! from where I sit. The only time I ever see any sincere representation of it, is some of my Whisky Tango distant cousins posting on FB. But I don't watch Fox News.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Sep 2019, 12:29

Was Tim Cavanaugh always this much of a moron?

He's retweeting with approval some guy at the Epoch Times that claims all this is a canary trap to ferret out the deep state.

Specifically this:

you have no idea what's going on. Trump has things going on behind the scenes you don't know a thing about.

I've had to mention this several times. Perhaps it's time to mention it again.

Did you know Trump has had his own private INTELLIGENCE SERVICE for decades?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Sep 2019, 12:38

thoreau wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 10:26
And Putin wins our precious bodily fluids either way.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Shem

Post by Shem » 30 Sep 2019, 13:58

Kolohe wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 12:29

you have no idea what's going on. Trump has things going on behind the scenes you don't know a thing about.

I've had to mention this several times. Perhaps it's time to mention it again.

Did you know Trump has had his own private INTELLIGENCE SERVICE for decades?
Wat?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Sep 2019, 14:50

Is ... is that Michael Cohen?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Sep 2019, 15:21

Kolohe wrote:Was Tim Cavanaugh always this much of a moron?
He was always occasionally that much of a moron.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Sep 2019, 15:38

thoreau wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 11:09
I think Bill Maher had the best take (yes, really) on Hunter Biden:
I hope like hell this Ukraine thing is what brings Trump down, but I gotta say, re Hunter Biden: politicians need to tell their fucking kids to get a fucking job. A real job. Not a "consulting" job cuz your somebody's kid. It looks swampy.
The Blue replies on that thread are ready to revoke Maher's citizenship for questioning the integrity of someone on Team Blue.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Sep 2019, 16:53

He also sought help from Australia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/us/p ... r6bsgrqb64

Given that the place is entirely populated by criminals it made sense to try to enlist them in an illicit act, but thinking they can be trusted is a classic blunder.

Fortunately, though, while we know he sought help from Australia and Ukraine, there is zero evidence that he ever did anything hinky in pursuit of help from Russia.
--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Sep 2019, 16:55

They are literally different issues, t.