And Then There Were Four (The Impeachment Thread)

Taktix®

Re: And Then There Were Four (The Impeachment Thread)

Post by Taktix® » 19 Oct 2019, 01:12

Gallup: 52% Support Impeachment and Removal

I know he'd be the fourth to be officially cited by impeachment, but how cool would it be to have been alive when the first one was actually pulled from office via a constitutional mechanism? Could it really be?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Oct 2019, 10:27

Taktix® wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 01:12

I know he'd be the fourth to be officially cited by impeachment, but how cool would it be to have been alive when the first one was actually pulled from office via a constitutional mechanism? Could it really be?
If you can find a way to 'Blue Pill' 20 GOP Senators, go for it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jake

Post by Jake » 19 Oct 2019, 14:03

Aresen wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 10:27
Taktix® wrote:

There's an old Vulcan proverb: "Only Nixon could go to China". With the way the last week or so has gone, I'm wondering if a future Vulcan proverb will go something like "Only Trump could convince the Republicans to impeach Trump". 'Cause it sure looks like he's trying.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Oct 2019, 14:03

Aresen wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 10:27
Taktix® wrote:

I haven't looked at the poll, but of course it is irrelevant how many individuals support impeachment and removal unless they are proportionally divided among the states. 39 million Californians favor removal while .5 million oppose? Well, there's two Senate votes to remove. All of Wyoming's roughly 600k citizens oppose removal? Well, that's two Senate votes against. *shrug*

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Oct 2019, 16:55

I just don't believe the Senate will convict and I'm positive it will be spun as vindication by Republicans. Because they will bet, correctly I feel, that their voters are idiots.

This is not an endorsement that other voters are not idiots. Just less idiotic on this particular issue.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Oct 2019, 17:10

e.g.
FB_IMG_1571519397178.jpg
FB_IMG_1571519397178.jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 488 times
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Oct 2019, 17:23

Pham Nuwen wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 16:55
I just don't believe the Senate will convict and I'm positive it will be spun as vindication by Republicans.
This is what I fear most about an impeachment trial.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Oct 2019, 08:59

I think it depends on the margin. If it’s a pure partisan split, yes. If Dems can get 3 to come over, making it a bipartisan majority of Senators, you can more easily spin it as a negative.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Oct 2019, 15:51

Show me a more perfect encapsulation of freebasing MAGA.
He’d stopped watching CNN and turned to Fox. He’d stopped watching Fox and turned to the even more pro-Trump One America News Network. He’d stopped watching OANN and started watching YouTube videos featuring psychics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 20 Oct 2019, 21:14

Chris Wallace claims (via some unnamed GOP source) there's a 20% chance that 20 R's will flip: https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... ent-chance

Seeing as this is The Hill there's a non-zero chance this is an administration source trying to goad the Dems into impeachment, which it seems to me to be the strategy Trump is pursuing.

It will probably work and get him the impeach-nonconvict he wants, but I think the vindication returns might not be as good as he expects. Trump already claims victory for everything and it's bullshit most of the time and the Dems will be able to spin it as McConnell/the GOP protecting Trump. Given what's come out just in the last month, it's clear the process is going to continue to air out everything the Dem nominee will need to run against him in 2020.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Oct 2019, 12:10

The contrast between Republicans storming the impeachment hearings and Democrats NOT storming closed-door Benghazi hearings is rather striking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... t-inquiry/

I know that many want to view the two parties as symmetric, and in some ways they are, but Democrats don't push envelopes like Republicans do.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Oct 2019, 20:51

thoreau wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 12:10
The contrast between Republicans storming the impeachment hearings and Democrats NOT storming closed-door Benghazi hearings is rather striking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... t-inquiry/

I know that many want to view the two parties as symmetric, and in some ways they are, but Democrats don't push envelopes like Republicans do.
The Blues don't want to be seen as leftists, while the Reds have been adopting leftist protest rhetoric and tactics for the last 20-25 years. Some of the Reds that day were even demanding to be arrested.

To echo one of the ex-Reasonoid writers on Twitter, it's a Hell of thing that they do that while encouraging their followers to drive cars into crowds of protestors. (Even to the point of trying to pass laws legalizing it!)

I say don't arrest them, just let the Capitol Police remove any glasses they're wearing, pepper-spray them, and call it even. But I get a little squishy on cruel-and-unusual-punishment when it comes to politicians.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Oct 2019, 10:46

--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Oct 2019, 11:10

thoreau wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 10:46
That's funny.

If Bolton is fine with overthrowing the leaders of banana republics, why not go for the top banana? (Or orange?)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Oct 2019, 15:31

Guys, I take it all back, commerce is terrible, let's go back to caveman times

Code: Select all

https://shop.donaldjtrump.com/products/stop-the-witch-hunt-limited-edition-tee
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Oct 2019, 07:34

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4678 ... e-too-late

Oh. So you get exactly what you wanted but now it's bad, huh?

Shem

Post by Shem » 29 Oct 2019, 10:34

Pham Nuwen wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 07:34
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4678 ... e-too-late

Oh. So you get exactly what you wanted but now it's bad, huh?
Which is why they didn't bother before now. It was always a pretext.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Nov 2019, 22:14

A Red gubernatorial candidate is losing in a Red state after Trump held a rally for him. I don't think the Senate Republicans will stand by him.

We're in the end game now.
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Nov 2019, 22:29

thoreau wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 22:14
A Red gubernatorial candidate is losing in a Red state after Trump held a rally for him. I don't think the Senate Republicans will stand by him.

We're in the end game now.
Kentucky was nearly +30 for Trump in 2016. Voter turnout may be a factor here, especially as this is an off-year election, but that does not look good for the Orange One.

OTOH, 23 Red senators (including McConnell*) still face the risk of being primaried by the Trumpists. Might be one of those damned-if-do-damned-if-you-don't problems from their POV.

*McConnell's 2014 margin was only 15.5% over the Blue.

ETA: In 2015, Bevin was only +9 on his Democrat opponent.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Nov 2019, 23:45

Let's bear in mind that Bevin was not what you'd call a well-loved candidate, that every other state office went to Republicans and that the margin for the gubernatorial race stands at around .4%. It's not like there's any sort of Blue Wave happening in Kentucky and the Mississippi race seems certain to swing to the Red candidate.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Nov 2019, 01:12

Oh, no Blue Wave in KY, to be sure. But Trump sure seems pretty useless to the GOP.

That has to mean something.
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Nov 2019, 01:40

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 23:45
Let's bear in mind that Bevin was not what you'd call a well-loved candidate, that every other state office went to Republicans and that the margin for the gubernatorial race stands at around .4%. It's not like there's any sort of Blue Wave happening in Kentucky and the Mississippi race seems certain to swing to the Red candidate.
And the Democratic candidate who won is the son of the still fairly popular former Governor.

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Nov 2019, 01:53

That being said, what it might have significance for is the prospect of more governors attempting to put ideological acts against Obamacare into practice. Bevin did his best to kill Kynect by ending individual enrollment, something that was quite unpopular among the Appalachian areas of the state. Given the margin, gotta wonder if he's wishing he had been a bit less gung ho about buying red meat with his voter base.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Nov 2019, 03:46

Didn't Republicans sweep the rest of the state election?

Also. Fuck insomnia.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Nov 2019, 04:08

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Let's bear in mind that Bevin was not what you'd call a well-loved candidate, that every other state office went to Republicans and that the margin for the gubernatorial race stands at around .4%. It's not like there's any sort of Blue Wave happening in Kentucky and the Mississippi race seems certain to swing to the Red candidate.
True and while it likely won’t happen to McConnell, he has similarly low approval ratings in Kentucky.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... -mcconnell