And Then There Were Four (The Impeachment Thread)

Hugh Akston
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: And Then There Were Four (The Impeachment Thread)

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Nov 2019, 20:44

Come on now Pham, T is a peach to deal with as long as you're not They.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Nov 2019, 21:12

thoreau wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 20:25
I tried saying that nothing matters and they said I am bad. And whenever I say that the executive branch can ignore rules they say I am bad and don't get it. But if I say that the executive branch should follow rules they also say that I am bad and don't get it.
Try not saying anything for a whole year. I bet you'll get more respect then.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Nov 2019, 21:36

Well, assuming the court order is unsuccessfully appealed, the way it plays out is that failure to appear also constitutes contempt of court, which means the U.S. Marshals come and fetch him and put him in jail. But what if Trump orders the marshals to step down, you ask? Then it isn't Congress but the Article III Branch that now has skin in the game. Part of me would love to see that confrontation, but the overwhelming odds are that Trump backs down first.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Nov 2019, 21:44

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 21:36
but the overwhelming odds are that Trump backs down first.
How overwhelming? Specifically, what odds will you give me?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Nov 2019, 21:49

Pham Nuwen wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 20:37
I don't know about any of that, T-dawg. You sure you just aren't being an impossible to deal with asshole?
Why not both?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Nov 2019, 21:55

Warren wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 21:44
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
but the overwhelming odds are that Trump backs down first.
How overwhelming? Specifically, what odds will you give me?
Tell me what odds and for how much and I'll let you know if it strikes me as a good bet.

Nothing that's happened so far -- and I can tell before I write this it's going to end up raising Thoreau's blood pressure -- has constituted a Constitutional crisis. We've got a bad, a dangerously bad president and some really rotten precedents for future presidents, but Congress remains at heart a political institution. There is, of course, a sense, maybe a very strong sense in which the Supreme Court is also a political institution, but it doesn't face the same pressures and neither it nor Congress wants the public to stop seeing it as the final arbiter of Constitutional disputes any more than, say, they want the public to stop believing that printed money or its electronic equivalent is valuable. It is nearly unfathomable for me to imagine Trump getting any support from any quarters, not even Mitch McConnell, for overtly disobeying the Supreme Court should it rule against him.

FWIW, if that were to happen and Trump were to prevail, that's the point where I'd start looking for somewhere outside the U.S. to live.

Shem

Post by Shem » 26 Nov 2019, 02:12

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Well, assuming the court order is unsuccessfully appealed, the way it plays out is that failure to appear also constitutes contempt of court, which means the U.S. Marshals come and fetch him and put him in jail. But what if Trump orders the marshals to step down, you ask? Then it isn't Congress but the Article III Branch that now has skin in the game. Part of me would love to see that confrontation, but the overwhelming odds are that Trump backs down first.
Since it's a Congressional matter, wouldn't it be the Sargent-At-Arms of the House and the Capitol Police, rather than the Marshals?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Nov 2019, 02:38

I think if Trump finds himself faced with big, manly men who don't break into tears, he'll back down.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 26 Nov 2019, 09:02

Shem wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 02:12
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Since it's a Congressional matter, wouldn't it be the Sargent-At-Arms of the House and the Capitol Police, rather than the Marshals?
My premise is that the courts, not Congress, would actually attempt enforcement of the contempt charge, but D.C. has so many overlapping police jurisdictions I can't say for sure.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Nov 2019, 16:50

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 Nov 2019, 18:44

Are we sure he's not just an idiot elected by idiots?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Nov 2019, 20:57

Pham Nuwen wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 18:44
Are we sure he's not just an idiot elected by idiots?
Well they're all elected by idiots.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 Nov 2019, 21:44

I never elected you. You're part of the gryll deep state as far as I'm concerned.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex