Page 2 of 6

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 11 Jul 2019, 14:24
by thoreau
Number 6 wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:53
thoreau wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:24
dhex wrote:"I hope these rape victims help discredit someone I disagree with!"
Basically.

Of course, it should go without saying that Pinker is bad, and anyone who likes his books needs to be exiled from polite society (at a minimum).

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
What is the objection to Pinker? Is it his rejection of the blank slate, his non-hatred of enlightenment thinking, or just because someone on Quillette said something nice about him?
Yes.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 11 Jul 2019, 14:24
by thoreau
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:39
Shem wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:36
Well you know, it's important to use every part of the rape victim. That's just ecology.
This is why indigenous peoples are superior to white Americans.
I am going to hell for laughing at this.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 11 Jul 2019, 19:18
by Eric the .5b
thoreau wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 00:27
A few people I know are hoping/expecting that the Epstein case will bring down Steven Pinker. It appears that Epstein flew Pinker to an event or two. So far no evidence that Pinker was more than a speaker brought in because rich guys like pop intellectuals, but we'll have to wait to see if more comes out.
I suspect fewer people are going down over Epstein than the buzz around the story suggests.

Some of his guests are listed as having gone as couples, and I have to imagine that even among the rich and famous, you don't bring your wife along when you want to party with and bang underage girls. So, I suspect there's some segmentation of who's there for what (and who sees what), so unless the situation goes full witch-hunt (which it won't), there's going to be some deniability for the guests who aren't found on actual blackmail footage.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 11 Jul 2019, 19:21
by thoreau
Eric the .5b wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 19:18
thoreau wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 00:27
A few people I know are hoping/expecting that the Epstein case will bring down Steven Pinker. It appears that Epstein flew Pinker to an event or two. So far no evidence that Pinker was more than a speaker brought in because rich guys like pop intellectuals, but we'll have to wait to see if more comes out.
I suspect fewer people are going down over Epstein than the buzz around the story suggests.

Some of his guests are listed as having gone as couples, and I have to imagine that even among the rich and famous, you don't bring your wife along when you want to party with and bang underage girls. So, I suspect there's some segmentation of who's there for what (and who sees what), so unless the situation goes full witch-hunt (which it won't), there's going to be some deniability for the guests who aren't found on actual blackmail footage.
Definitely. But it's still kind of sad/amusing to watch them pray that this will take down anyone they disagree with, while leaving untouched whichever celebrity scientists they agree with (or at least agree with some choice quotes that they've heard).

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 17 Jul 2019, 03:21
by thoreau
Apparently Pinker did some consulting (on linguistics and statutory interpretation) for Dershowitz in Epstein's previous criminal case, and was quoted in a legal document.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... creasingly

Maybe this isn't as bad as it looks, but it will look bad to a lot of people, and Pinker has no shortage of critics already.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 17 Jul 2019, 04:28
by Eric the .5b
That convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein had help in avoiding federal or state prison is unsurprising: money and power often buy what they shouldn’t.
Those defense attorneys really need to start using their talents for good, not evil...


Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 09:36
by Mo
Sorry folks, I’m going full conspiracy theory on this.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 09:42
by Pham Nuwen
Yup. I saw the news about 15 minutes ago.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 09:55
by JasonL
Oh man.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 10:07
by Aresen
Image

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 10:26
by dbcooper
Image

j/k This is very bipartisan.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 10:41
by dbcooper
Image

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 10:42
by dbcooper
Mo wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 09:36
Sorry folks, I’m going full conspiracy theory on this.
100%

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 10:59
by dbcooper

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 11:16
by dbcooper
Image

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 11:19
by dbcooper

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 11:46
by dbcooper

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 11:53
by Jake
The Internet is alive with conspiracy nattering at the moment. I'm not staking out a position on whether Epstein's death is or is not a conspiracy, at this point, but I will push back against at least one argument I'm seeing out there: "He was on suicide watch, therefore it must have been murder!"

Could have been murder, sure. Must have been? No, not just from that. From what I've learned over the last few years about how prisons are run, negligence is at least as likely as conspiracy. Suicide watch doesn't usually mean 24-hour surveillance; it often just means they take away your belt and/or shoelaces and annoy you every two hours or so.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 11:56
by Ellie
Mo wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 09:36
Sorry folks, I’m going full conspiracy theory on this.
I actually said out loud, "Oh my god!" when I heard the news on the radio this morning, and this was immediately my thought -- a lot of people are going to have a lot of fodder for a conspiracy theory! I have no opinion one way or the other.

Maybe it's because of my recent foray into Twitter, but I feel like lately I've heard more stories than ever about police and government and powerful people getting away with shit, and I am feeling very Clarkhat* "burn the system to the ground." But everyone else of that mindset that I find follows it up with "and destroy capitalism!" and I'm like "fuck you fuck you fuck you" and then I sit at home alone eating ice cream.

* I'm really peeved he turned into such a loon because I don't want to stop quoting that sentiment

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 12:27
by Mo
How can we even be sure it’s the real Jeffrey Epstein that’s dead. It could be his clone that he created on his rape island.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 13:10
by Pham Nuwen
Rape island being next to statutory island. Which has the cloning facilities.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 13:38
by thoreau
Pham Nuwen wrote:Rape island being next to statutory island. Which has the cloning facilities.
Ever since the Dear Colleague letter, university Title IX offices have changed maps to call every island "Rape Island."

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 13:42
by thoreau
I've heard so many claims and counter-claims.

"He was on suicide watch. It should have been impossible for him to kill himself. Guards must have been bribed to look the other way."

"Jail suicide watch, like everything else in jail, is pretty shitty. Would have been super-easy for him to kill himself."

"Yeah, but reporters and attorneys who have visited this jail say it's one of the best-run in the federal system, not like county jails. They run a tight ship there."

Eh, I don't know. What I do know is this: If Epstein is an evil mastermind who manipulated lots of people, used money to get whatever he wanted, and held his own with the rich and powerful, then if he has dirt on people he should have followed Movie Villain 101 and let everyone know that the compromising material is in a safe location and will only come out if he dies. That's the best way to protect himself from foul play. So if he's even a minimally competent movie villain then either he committed suicide or he was murdered by the dumbest movie villain ever, one who failed Movie Villain 101.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 13:53
by D.A. Ridgely
On the brighter side, at least his death didn't add to the suicide by gun statistics.

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Posted: 10 Aug 2019, 13:55
by Warren
They killed him for the Dax.