The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27873
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Post by thoreau » 11 Jul 2019, 14:24

Number 6 wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:53
thoreau wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:24
dhex wrote:"I hope these rape victims help discredit someone I disagree with!"
Basically.

Of course, it should go without saying that Pinker is bad, and anyone who likes his books needs to be exiled from polite society (at a minimum).

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
What is the objection to Pinker? Is it his rejection of the blank slate, his non-hatred of enlightenment thinking, or just because someone on Quillette said something nice about him?
Yes.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27873
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Post by thoreau » 11 Jul 2019, 14:24

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:39
Shem wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:36
Well you know, it's important to use every part of the rape victim. That's just ecology.
This is why indigenous peoples are superior to white Americans.
I am going to hell for laughing at this.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13411
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Jul 2019, 19:18

thoreau wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 00:27
A few people I know are hoping/expecting that the Epstein case will bring down Steven Pinker. It appears that Epstein flew Pinker to an event or two. So far no evidence that Pinker was more than a speaker brought in because rich guys like pop intellectuals, but we'll have to wait to see if more comes out.
I suspect fewer people are going down over Epstein than the buzz around the story suggests.

Some of his guests are listed as having gone as couples, and I have to imagine that even among the rich and famous, you don't bring your wife along when you want to party with and bang underage girls. So, I suspect there's some segmentation of who's there for what (and who sees what), so unless the situation goes full witch-hunt (which it won't), there's going to be some deniability for the guests who aren't found on actual blackmail footage.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27873
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Post by thoreau » 11 Jul 2019, 19:21

Eric the .5b wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 19:18
thoreau wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 00:27
A few people I know are hoping/expecting that the Epstein case will bring down Steven Pinker. It appears that Epstein flew Pinker to an event or two. So far no evidence that Pinker was more than a speaker brought in because rich guys like pop intellectuals, but we'll have to wait to see if more comes out.
I suspect fewer people are going down over Epstein than the buzz around the story suggests.

Some of his guests are listed as having gone as couples, and I have to imagine that even among the rich and famous, you don't bring your wife along when you want to party with and bang underage girls. So, I suspect there's some segmentation of who's there for what (and who sees what), so unless the situation goes full witch-hunt (which it won't), there's going to be some deniability for the guests who aren't found on actual blackmail footage.
Definitely. But it's still kind of sad/amusing to watch them pray that this will take down anyone they disagree with, while leaving untouched whichever celebrity scientists they agree with (or at least agree with some choice quotes that they've heard).
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27873
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Post by thoreau » 17 Jul 2019, 03:21

Apparently Pinker did some consulting (on linguistics and statutory interpretation) for Dershowitz in Epstein's previous criminal case, and was quoted in a legal document.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... creasingly

Maybe this isn't as bad as it looks, but it will look bad to a lot of people, and Pinker has no shortage of critics already.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13411
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: The Sheer WTFery of Epstein

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Jul 2019, 04:28

That convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein had help in avoiding federal or state prison is unsurprising: money and power often buy what they shouldn’t.
Those defense attorneys really need to start using their talents for good, not evil...

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests