Dancing With the Dems

JD

Re: Dancing With the Dems

Post by JD »

nicole wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 11:59
I cannot even imagine giving a shit whether there is ever a woman president, let alone this year, or in my lifetime, or whatever. I just do not give even half of one fuck. I find this the weirdest fucking fixation.
I would like to see a female president. Admittedly a large part of why is because I want us to just get past it and get people to realize that the world is neither going to collapse in ruin nor become a new Jerusalem just because the president has XX chromosomes.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 12:33
nicole wrote:
I cannot even imagine giving a shit whether there is ever a woman president, let alone this year, or in my lifetime, or whatever. I just do not give even half of one fuck. I find this the weirdest fucking fixation.
I would like to see a female president. Admittedly a large part of why is because I want us to just get past it and get people to realize that the world is neither going to collapse in ruin nor become a new Jerusalem just because the president has XX chromosomes.
Where are these people that think the world is going to collapse or become a new Jerusalem (WTF? What does that even mean?) if a woman occupies the oval office?

When it comes to people who care if the POTUS is a woman, all I see are feminists that think they're being oppressed by the patriarchy and electing a woman would bring it down.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JD wrote:
nicole wrote:
Pretty much this. Although it would suck spending 4-8 years hearing that the First Woman President can't be expected to do a good job when the whole system is patriarchy and men in Congress are getting in her way.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Shem

Post by Shem »

JD wrote:
I want us to just get past it and get people to realize that the world is neither going to collapse in ruin nor become a new Jerusalem just because the president has XX chromosomes.
But then you repeat yourself.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

become a new Jerusalem (WTF? What does that even mean?
a shiny city on a hill, i.e a good place that beckons others and serves as an example for all of humanity. It's referenced in both the prophets of the Old Testament and the Book of Revelation.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 14:15
become a new Jerusalem (WTF? What does that even mean?
a shiny city on a hill, i.e a good place that beckons others and serves as an example for all of humanity. It's referenced in both the prophets of the Old Testament and the Book of Revelation.
I never would have guessed that. But it makes sense.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

The main reason I want to see a gay president is so I can watch every Fox News commenter's head explode. Same for the entire Christian right.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

If Democrats didn't want old white men as their candidates, they shouldn't have voted for them.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

nicole

Post by nicole »

I work somewhere where stuff like this sometimes happens or almost happens. Every time, I say, "10 people touched this before I saw it. All of them should be fired (into the sun)."

All I ask is that we either push all these people onto ice floes, or they have to euthanize the people who have even an ounce of number sense.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Kill me first.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway »

I want my dollar forty three!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole »

"coincidentally" one of my favorite people in the world makes an appearance

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

I remember back when freedom only cost a buck oh five.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

Heh:

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD »

Not sure if this is legit, but apparently the OP at one point tweeted "blah blah math blah blah people are telling me my numbers are wrong but the point still stands: he could easily afford to give everyone $1 million and literally never notice"

Michael Bloomberg net worth: $58.3 billion
Population of the US: about 329 million

Let's call it $59 billion and 325 million, just to be generous.
59,000,000,000 / 325,000,000 = $181.53

Only off by a factor of about 5500 this time (aside from the fact that he would certainly notice if his net worth dropped to zero). Man, I hope the OP is not really that dumb.

Warren

Post by Warren »

OP?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

JD wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 11:38
Not sure if this is legit, but apparently the OP at one point tweeted "blah blah math blah blah people are telling me my numbers are wrong but the point still stands: he could easily afford to give everyone $1 million and literally never notice"

Only off by a factor of about 5500 this time (aside from the fact that he would certainly notice if his net worth dropped to zero). Man, I hope the OP is not really that dumb.
Lots of people are that dumb. It used to surprise me when people could not even get the order of magnitude right in a calculation*, but I've seen it so often now that I just shrug. It is common on both the left ('we can pay for universal health care by cutting the military budget 10%') and the right ('we can balance the budget by cancelling foreign aid and the CPB').

*I remember a test I took many years ago where the question was something like "47 x 55 equals a) 8 b) 92 c)2,585 d) 55,047" and the majority got it wrong.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JD wrote:

Between Reagan's budget math, shit like this, and everything that is veal farming, I think Americans just fucking hate math. I say nuke the whole fucking country and be done with it.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

nicole

Post by nicole »

Warren wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 11:43
OP?
Original poster

And it is legit.

Warren

Post by Warren »

blah blah math blah blah
Well that sums up just about the whole of American politics 2020.
SOLD!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole »

JD wrote:

Don't miss the extensive posting by Eliza Shapiro about how NYC shouldn't shut down schools because hunger is worse than coronavirus which is nothing like Spanish flu and don't worry, she learned this from teachers!

nicole

Post by nicole »

aww, poor baby

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Well, no one except maybe Thoreau's students should get death threats over being innumerate even if they are TV talking heads.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

As a mathematician, I have nothing but sympathy for someone making a dumb calculation error during a live presentation. I do that like twice an hour when lecturing. And I have notes.

I have much less sympathy for doubling down, and not noticing when the issue is pointed out. I regularly write something like "2+4=5" on the board, but then one of my students says "uh..." and I fix it.

And of course, as Nicole says, probably like ten people looked at this before it aired. One of them should have caught it. But I don't blame the presenters for not catching it while they were presenting.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Team Jadagul.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.