Warren

Re: Dancing With the Dems

Post by Warren »

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole »

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JD wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 09:49
Bernie Bro wrote:If Biden wins the nomination, it will be a real lesson in how power works. Bernie was on track to win
This is like the Bizarro World version of "she's electable if you vote for her". If he loses, then clearly no, he was not on track to win.
Biden doesn't excite anyone but a whole bunch of people showed up and voted for him. That is hardly evidence that he's electable. Sanders excites people, and only lost because they didn't show up to vote. Clearly, Sanders is the guy who should be nominated.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 08:16
Tee hee.
Sanders supporters: Bernie’s the only one who can beat Trump & bend the Senate to his will

Also Sanders supporters: we’re helpless in the face of class president-level politics
Bernie Bro wrote:If Biden wins the nomination, it will be a real lesson in how power works. Bernie was on track to win, Biden had no campaign, and they all knew it. So a few phone calls were made behind the scenes to Amy, Pete, Beto. Several million was put into a pro-Warren Super PAC. Voila!
Or, as I put it elsewhere, is the campaign suddenly going to get more fair after the convention? If he can't beat the DNC, how can he beat Trump?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 10:12
Bloomberg suspends campaign: https://www.axios.com/mike-bloomberg-dr ... 7def6.html
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I'm shocked, shocked to discover young people not turning out to vote... again!

Many young voters sat out Super Tuesday, contributing to Bernie Sanders' losses

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

nicole wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 10:12
Bloomberg suspends campaign: https://www.axios.com/mike-bloomberg-dr ... 7def6.html
Insert Bloomberg terminal joke here.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 11:12
I'm shocked, shocked to discover young people not turning out to vote... again!

Many young voters sat out Super Tuesday, contributing to Bernie Sanders' losses
Who has time to vote when you need to be on twitter complaining about how the process is rigged against the clear frontrunner?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I will admit to mild optimism at this point. And a whole shitload of schadenfreude for Sanders supporters, as they've worn out my patience.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo »

The stories of rigging on the far left and the regular right sure do ignore the agency of voters. Also, Bernie took a win 30% consistently, but don’t win anyone over strategy. It worked for Trump. The downside is exactly what happened. Perhaps Bernie should have acted more like a front runner instead of alienating supporters of every other candidate, so that when they eventually drop out they vote for you instead of your opponent. When Warren drops out I suspect that a majority of her supporters will go to Biden. I doubt they’re enthusiastic about going to a candidate whose supporters are aggressive assholes to Warren and flood her mentions with snake emojis.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Mo wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 12:03
The stories of rigging on the far left and the regular right sure do ignore the agency of voters. Also, Bernie took a win 30% consistently, but don’t win anyone over strategy. It worked for Trump. The downside is exactly what happened. Perhaps Bernie should have acted more like a front runner instead of alienating supporters of every other candidate, so that when they eventually drop out they vote for you instead of your opponent. When Warren drops out I suspect that a majority of her supporters will go to Biden. I doubt they’re enthusiastic about going to a candidate whose supporters are aggressive assholes to Warren and flood her mentions with snake emojis.
If I were Biden, I'd offer Warren a cabinet post, maybe Secretary of Education, in return for staying in the race a while longer.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Head of the CFPB. :twisted:
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Donkeys don’t believe in agency except when they get exactly what they want. It’s all dirty tricks and false consciousness and what’s wrong with Kansas and foreign interference, and manufactured consent.

Mo

Post by Mo »

JasonL wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 06:10
Donkeys don’t believe in agency except when they get exactly what they want. It’s all dirty tricks and false consciousness and what’s wrong with Kansas and foreign interference, and manufactured consent.
Nobody believes that. It's all dirty tricks and buying voters when Dems win. The American people are secretly libertarian and the moment will be here soon, but never vote that way. That or shadowy corporate interests and the Bilderbergs want to keep the 2 party system.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

In terms of self narratives not actual policy comparisons, I see the buying voters thing differently from the agency thing. Elephants see themselves as running against Santa Claus. I think they get the appeal of free stuff. The left has always seemed particularly prone to denying the agency of voters. It’s the Chomsky narrative, the let’s pretend Russia projected brainwashing beams thing, etc.

Mo

Post by Mo »

JasonL wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 07:17
In terms of self narratives not actual policy comparisons, I see the buying voters thing differently from the agency thing. Elephants see themselves as running against Santa Claus. I think they get the appeal of free stuff. The left has always seemed particularly prone to denying the agency of voters. It’s the Chomsky narrative, the let’s pretend Russia projected brainwashing beams thing, etc.
They pretend they are not also Santa Claus*. They think minority voters don't vote for them because they are "bought" ignoring their toxic culture and support/acceptance of racism. Supporting welfare doesn't explain why 2/3s of Asian-Americans and 70% of Jews, the two wealthiest demographic groups in the US support the Ds. Ignoring that when it comes to free stuff, the parties are largely indistinguishable (except for what stuff is free) and then blaming voter reactions on that false belief is the exact same sort of disbelief in agency.

* When, if anything, they're an even more egregious version

Mo

Post by Mo »

This Kevin Williamson piece is a good example of that delusion. Williamson, who frequently pretends to understand business despite only having been a writer, seems to think that the issue is a more employee based culture rather than the world of Henry Ford and JP Morgan (who I guess didn't have employees). There is a potentially interesting insight that can be gleaned from the change in senior leadership culture, but it is likely more the shift from a very mechanistic view of employees, where they are viewed as replaceable interchangeable parts, to one where human capital is more valuable and attracting employees that want to work for you makes you more successful than a purely transactional view. The other thing one could note is that the market is necessarily going to be far to the left of the electorate because non-citizens and young people don't vote, but they do have money and they are a valuable source of employees. Instead it's about "transmission" of Ivy League culture* like it's an infection. One could also note that the old time industrialists were typically far from being culturally conservative and are more properly considered corporatists.

* The irony being is that the Ivy League also used to be a bastion of conservatism.
Last edited by Mo on 05 Mar 2020, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 07:59
JasonL wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 07:17
They pretend they are not also Santa Claus*. They think minority voters don't vote for them because they are "bought" ignoring their toxic culture and support/acceptance of racism. Supporting welfare doesn't explain why 2/3s of Asian-Americans and 70% of Jews, the two wealthiest demographic groups in the US support the Ds. Ignoring that when it comes to free stuff, the parties are largely indistinguishable (except for what stuff is free) and then blaming voter reactions on that false belief is the exact same sort of disbelief in agency.

* When, if anything, they're an even more egregious version
Where are you getting your Asian and Jewish voting stats?
The R's are definitely delusional on Free Stuff (and more egregious), but the No One Has Agency thing is definitely a D's thing. R's aren't shocked shocked :shock: to learn that minorities voted the other way.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

Pew pew.
Warren wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 08:23
R's aren't shocked shocked :shock: to learn that minorities voted the other way.
Pretty sure they're shocked at why. They seem to think minorities vote for Ds for welfare and delinquency, but it's somehow not contradictory that they're targeting the white underclass who share the same characteristics. It wasn't until there was a sharp rise in the alt-right that even some writers considered that maybe their party was a little bit racist.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Warren is out

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

nicole wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 10:54
Warren is out
Which arguably means Bernie is still hanging by a thread. She'd be wise not to endorse either remaining candidate, not that wisdom is the first quality one thinks of when one thinks of her.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Warren wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 08:23
the No One Has Agency thing is definitely a D's thing. R's aren't shocked shocked :shock: to learn that minorities voted the other way.
A certain sort of R/conservative definitely plays the false consciousness card- the whole thing about how black people are "on the plantation" for Democrats, despite being taken for granted/used. Conservatives/libertarians are all "people and their communities know best for themselves" etc., except for "the black vote" which is only out of habit or deceit or bribery. Don't worry, they are *keenly* aware of having been used for a very long time. And yet they *still* generally vote D, which should really tell the Republicans something.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

nicole

Post by nicole »

A large chunk of my twitter TL is devastated about Warren....can I just say...

I cannot even imagine giving a shit whether there is ever a woman president, let alone this year, or in my lifetime, or whatever. I just do not give even half of one fuck. I find this the weirdest fucking fixation.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 11:30
nicole wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 10:54
Warren is out
Which arguably means Bernie is still hanging by a thread.
It's a pretty thick thread. He frickin stomped in CA. More like a string. Twine even. Hell you could call it a rope if we were still allowed to make lynching jokes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 11:59
A large chunk of my twitter TL is devastated about Warren....can I just say...

I cannot even imagine giving a shit whether there is ever a woman president, let alone this year, or in my lifetime, or whatever. I just do not give even half of one fuck. I find this the weirdest fucking fixation.
I feel you. I never once felt good about W being in office even though he's got a pale dick. Wouldn't even occur to me that my life is better or worse due to what the POTUS has between their legs. But that's just my privilege talking I suppose.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT