Dancing With the Dems

thoreau

Re: Dancing With the Dems

Post by thoreau »

There are many chapters to be written in this story. I think we'll see a great many twists and turns between now and Super Tuesday, and quite a few even after that.

The August news cycle will be so insane that it will make 2010 and "Ground Zero Mosque" look like the most boring 1950's sitcom ever aired.

October will see dirty shit like we can't even imagine.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 10:54
There are many chapters to be written in this story. I think we'll see a great many twists and turns between now and Super Tuesday, and quite a few even after that.
We'll certainly see breathtakingly audacious attempts at spinning whatever the early primary results may be, but Sanders is practically a lock in New Hampshire, there's no way Buttigieg is going to convince black voters (or Millennials, not that they'll turn out, anyway) to turn out for him and if Biden hobbles into Super Tuesday, he'll either lose or, worse yet (as far as defeating Trump goes), barely win and be a wounded candidate from the start.

Short of a major recession (like another 2008 level recession) or Trump's cholesterol-clogged arteries finally shutting down on him, I simply don't see a way the Dems can get their act together and even do as well as Clinton did come November. She, at least, had a well-oiled political machine. By contrast, the Dems are sputtering around in a Prius clown car.

Hey, here's a thought! If the Dems do win in November, they can put the Iowa Democratic Party chairman in charge of Medicare For All! What could possibly go wrong with that?

Warren

Post by Warren »

It's 2004 all over again.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

Seen on social media today: a thing from Sanders saying (roughly, from memory) "It's not about giving away free stuff, it's about investing in improving the lives of regular Americans instead of giving away billions to big business like banks and the auto industry!"

My reactions:
  • Interesting to see that he is addressing the "free shit for everybody!" criticism head-on
  • When you say "it's not about giving away free stuff", that is, in fact, pretty much an admission that you are giving away free stuff
  • When you follow it up with "look, we already gave free stuff to all these people", then that is doubling down on the fact that it's about giving away free stuff, you're just invoking class warfare to justify it. Still, I expect it will be a fairly effective approach.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Also the idea that he's going to do one and not the other is laughably dubious.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

People who want to give away free stuff find themselves initially empowered to take it from people who have stuff, then find themselves needing cooperation from people who have stuff so that the taking can go on in perpetuity. Even if you start not wanting to the second thing you will still wind up doing it or something like it.

That said ugh the nails on the chalkboard of "Effective Tax Rate A is a hand out to Billionaires so lets stop that handout" makes me want to vomit.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 10:54
...October will see dirty shit like we can't even imagine.
Whereas I have the dread that the Blue campaign will die with a whimper.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 12:58
...it's about investing in improving the lives of regular Americans instead of giving away billions to big business like banks and the auto industry!
Yeah! What did big business like banks and the auto industry ever do for regular Americans?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

From hacker news on the Iowa app maker:
3uclid 21 hours ago | unvote [-]

Checked their LinkedIn and the employees who work there. The founder is non-technical and there are two developers: one who is a "back-end intern" and the other is a front-end developer (both are fresh from bootcamps).
...Yikes.

thedance 18 hours ago | unvote [-]

The career path of prep cook -> software certification mill -> wrecking american democracy is the best thing I've ever seen
LOL
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

People who would know seem to suggest that this is the best take:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224 ... 23041.html

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 14:54
JD wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 12:58
...it's about investing in improving the lives of regular Americans instead of giving away billions to big business like banks and the auto industry!
Yeah! What did big business like banks and the auto industry ever do for regular Americans?
IIRC, the UAW was pretty adamant that anybody who didn't support the GM and Chrysler bailouts was anti-worker.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

dbcooper wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 14:57
From hacker news on the Iowa app maker:
3uclid 21 hours ago | unvote [-]

Checked their LinkedIn and the employees who work there. The founder is non-technical and there are two developers: one who is a "back-end intern" and the other is a front-end developer (both are fresh from bootcamps).
...Yikes.

thedance 18 hours ago | unvote [-]

The career path of prep cook -> software certification mill -> wrecking american democracy is the best thing I've ever seen
LOL
#tooreal
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Jadagul wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 14:58
People who would know seem to suggest that this is the best take:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224 ... 23041.html
Good read. I can’t help but think though, that mass political movements happened before the internet (but not before printing) so it seems to me that people are working way hard reinventing the wheel here.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Then again, most mass political movements in history have failed.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

IIRC, Acronym, the parent company of the app maker Shadow, has a $75M digital advertising budget from the DNC etc, so the "we just didn't have any money" excuse is bullshit dissembling.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Well, a graduation rate above 100% is unusual.

nicole

Post by nicole »

The horror:
Four people who worked with Mr. Yang at the test-prep company said he was socially awkward and prone to overstepping boundaries. They variously recounted moments when he burst out laughing when someone discussed a tragic event or when he pressured employees to participate at company karaoke outings.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Haircut!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Really, even if it were campaign funds and not their own money (as the Yang Gang is apparently supporters and not actual campaign members), was this money going to go to anything better? And if it's their own money, it's a nice gesture for a bunch of true believers, even if I'm skeptical on their whole dividend silliness.

(And considering the state of the art of ideological tipping stunts is the fake $20, I'll deem this an improvement.)

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

If someone associated with either Hillary Clinton or Mike Bloomberg came out and said that they were trying to make sure Trump won, I'd believe it.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 10:03
I became a fan of President Butt because of his name and his gayness and his incredibly thoughtful and empathetic answer to a question about late-term abortions, and I have deliberately avoided finding anything else out about him or his politics so that my affection isn't ruined.
I ended up finding out too much about his policies, and disliking him. But THEN I joined a Facebook group a friend of mine was in, entirely because it had a funny name ("Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism") and it turned out to be a Bernie fan group that does nothing but mock President Butt all day long. So now of course I'm back to liking him, just for spite
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 06:52
If someone associated with either Hillary Clinton or Mike Bloomberg came out and said that they were trying to make sure Trump won, I'd believe it.
No doubt in my mind.
Ellie wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 09:17
I ended up finding out too much about his policies, and disliking him. But THEN I joined a Facebook group a friend of mine was in, entirely because it had a funny name ("Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism") and it turned out to be a Bernie fan group that does nothing but mock President Butt all day long. So now of course I'm back to liking him, just for spite
I LIKE BUTT JUST FOR SPITE would make a great campaign slogan.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

Bernie says "I am totally not a communist." And I would agree that that's true. It's just that, much like how Trump pals around with a lot of white-nationalist types and never has anything bad to say about them or good to say about their opponents, you have to look at who he hangs around with...
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston