Shem wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 01:29
Warren wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 14:14
Shem wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 10:36
JasonL wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 10:11
In a sense. Alt right makes the same case - this is what you get when you don't give dumb insular white dudes a place at the cultural table.

As with the alt right, I can't help but notice that the reason they had no place at the table is they say a lot of dumb things. I'm left with this sense that what is missing is not engagement in the sense we pretend those dumb things are not dumb, but rather we got lax in shaming them into silence.
You're talking as if both parties treat their activist base the same way. They don't. The GOP has been feeding their particular alt-right monster under the table for at least three decades now. That's what Fox News is for. The alt-right isn't demanding a seat at the table because they're being ignored; they're demanding it because one of the coalitions is now built on their ideology. The consensus you miss was built on letting the GOP harness those votes without looking too closely at the implications of the ideology they were using to do it. Or considering what would happen when they realized it was all fake. And at this point, the damage is done.
The Dems are exactly the same point for point.
When moderate Democrats spend their time hemming and hawing about Medicare for all in the face of Bernie Sanders the way moderate Republicans hemmed and hawed about the border wall in the face of Trump, I'll entertain the idea that "both sides are exactly as bad as each other" is anything other than cynical BS.
Just as soon as we get a Democrat President, like clockwork.
Except, the GOP were doing it when everyone figured Trump had a snowball's chance in hell.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Re: Dancing With the Dems

Post by Eric the .5b »

In Shem's evolutionary history, I can buy Reagan as a transitional form. Not that Goldwater was unimpeachable on race issues, but he had a different mindset.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Trump is the transitional form. Do we want to look at Reagan on trade and immigration - you know the two big things of trumpist populism?

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

I would also point out from a historical view anger over immigration tends to be cyclical. It has its highs and lows. It's almost always due to some demographic shift. However, once that shift happens, and it becomes the new normal, its importance fades until another shift is imminent then it becomes a "problem" again.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Painboy wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 14:31
I would also point out from a historical view anger over immigration tends to be cyclical. It has its highs and lows. It's almost always due to some demographic shift. However, once that shift happens, and it becomes the new normal, its importance fades until another shift is imminent then it becomes a "problem" again.
This. A century ago white people were outraged over the influx of pollocks and micks, now those are the immigrants we want.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 15:01
Painboy wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 14:31
This. A century ago white people were outraged over the influx of pollocks and micks, now those are the immigrants we want.
White fish only!
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

JasonL wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 14:23
Trump is the transitional form. Do we want to look at Reagan on trade and immigration - you know the two big things of trumpist populism?
Is your only problem with Trump what he argues for? Meaning, if he were doing his demagoguery and scapegoating in service of a cause you liked, would that be ok?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I wouldn't be able to find any politician who didn't use demagoguery as a tool. It's 80% of Elizabeth Warren's playbook for example.

The question is do I believe historical use cases provide a "path" that leads to the unique nothing but demagoguery and populist nonsense of trumpism. No - I don't think there is any connection at all between the welfare queen speech and Donald Trump. Too much material history happened between those times. Reagan had too many other things to stand on - the cold war, military deficits and reforming an undynamic economy. I would say Reagan has populism in his bag like Warren does, but neither of them are pure trumpian populists.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Team Jason. “Look at what happened to the Republicans when they fed their extreme wing” isn’t going to convince me that the Dems should reciprocate.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

NeoLiberal Mushy Wonkishness Arguing about 10% Differences in Tax Rates - 2020 is a slogan I could get behind.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Just The Regular Kind of Corruption - 2020

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hypocrite/Apparatchik 2020
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Make America Talk About Infrastructure Again
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

DON'T CARE ANYMORE - 2020
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Warren wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 14:53
DON'T CARE ANYMORE - 2020
I DON'T VOTE 2020

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I always thought the Democratic party was all about Whine Caves.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren »

That's actually a ways down the list of things he deserves to get fucked for.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote:
25 Dec 2019, 00:39
That's actually a ways down the list of things he deserves to get fucked for.
Didn't RTFA but, hey, he's grooming them for careers in politics! What a guy!

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Insert Paul Manafort joke here
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I'm pretty sure Biden is the president we deserve at this point. Hunter Biden, that is. Having sex with his dead brother's wife, knocking up a stripper, smoking crack in strip clubs, getting jobs due to nepotism/cronyism... truly the leader America deserves for the '20s.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Stop and frisk was atrocious this is an abomination.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 18:38
Stop and frisk was atrocious this is an abomination.

Like that Republican said, we can impeach people before they even take office, so let's start with Bloomberg.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

FWIW #1 works at Bloomberg and says the open office layout works fine. I'll send you guys the GoFundMe link so I can pay for him to be kidnapped and deprogrammed.