Dancing With the Dems

Eric the .5b
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dancing With the Dems

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Nov 2019, 20:24

Also transistor radios. The Walkman, score of educators in my day.
lunchstealer wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 18:17
I'd say the bigger differentiator is that Radio, comic books, TV, video games, D&D, The Jazz Music, The Heavy Metal Music, computers, and all the other stuff that have been decried in the past century is that they weren't wired for detailed usage feedback to allow fine-tuning to maximize interaction. So game designers and TV programming executives and everyone else had to guess what would bring in revenue or put butts in seats or whatever, and design/write according to those guesses.
And if you were a TV network for most of that era, you owned about a third of American TV programming (and provided a third of unskippable ads) and for the longest time, the only alternative was static-y old movies and shows on UHF.

I think inescapable ubiquity is more powerful than the app or game that has an ~85% chance of being utterly forgotten in a couple years or months, respectively, having telemetry. (Which, of course, desktop apps and games often do, too.). For all the scariness of fine-tuned marketing, it doesn't seem to help a lot of companies, much.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Pham Nuwen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Pham Nuwen » 20 Nov 2019, 21:58

Am I the only one sad that Hugh's ad experience winds up being wallets?

Boom. Roasted.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Nov 2019, 22:01

The good thing about data mining leading to more effective niche marketing is that individuals get more or what they want and less of what they don't want. The arguably bad thing about data mining leading to more effective niche marketing is that there is less common culture.

I don't know at what point the diminution of common culture is such a bad thing that, to whip out a phrase from once common culture "the centre cannot hold." So, yeah, there's always been something about which the older generation was overreacting to the effect this or that will supposedly have on the younger generation. I'm not so certain, however, that's a sufficient refutation of the concern.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Nov 2019, 01:14

Yeah data mining has ups and downs. Not sure to what extent it's worthy of actual concern (I mean, no I don't need to buy more toasters, thank you) but I think it's more of a thing than portability. Could be wrong. Not super invested either way.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Nov 2019, 02:14

My debate assessment: (topicality? In my gryll?)
Biden=Abe Simpson
Klobuchar- that girl whose dad is President of the chamber of commerce who gets *really* intense about the student council president elections
Gabbard- Russian stooge
Warren- Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith without the sincerity
Sanders- Cult of Personality
Yang and Steyer- would chuck the election and do a CHiPs reboot, but both want to be Jon
Harris- please don't ask about how I locked up millions of nonviolent drug offenders
Buttigieg- millennial Joe Biden
Booker- Diet Coke Barack Obama, except the whole country got a taste for meth, and now NutraSweet and caffeine are a little too quant to take seriously.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Nov 2019, 12:01

Michael Bloomberg is entering to make Elizabeth Warren look good.
(CNN)Michael Bloomberg officially announced his late-entry Democratic presidential bid on Sunday, unveiling a campaign that the former New York mayor said will be squarely aimed at defeating President Donald Trump.

Bloomberg, in a letter explaining his candidacy on his campaign website, lays out a more moderate vision for the country and casts himself as "a doer and a problem solver -- not a talker."
"I'm running for president to defeat Donald Trump and rebuild America. We cannot afford four more years of President Trump's reckless and unethical actions," Bloomberg wrote.
Bloomberg's late 2020 bid -- along with the money the billionaire can spend to fund his campaign -- injects a new level of uncertainty into the race less than three months before the first voting in the race begins. In the last several days there was little doubt he was running.
Bloomberg, who had said earlier this year that he would not run, reversed his decision because he doesn't think there's a candidate in the current field of Democrats who can beat Trump next November, several people close to the former mayor told CNN. That includes former Vice President Joe Biden, who Bloomberg has watched fade in Iowa polling and struggle with fundraising.
If there is a candidate who can make Trump palatable, Michael Bloomberg is that candidate.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Nov 2019, 16:04

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Dec 2019, 03:16

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Dec 2019, 11:58

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Dec 2019, 12:29

Parkinsons 2020
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Dec 2019, 12:32

Whether it's Trump or Biden, Walter Reed's neurologists will be good and busy.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2019, 13:26

Well, I didn't think the LP would ever have a better chance to sell itself to an uninterested public after 2016, but maybe. It's going to be tougher in 2020 if only for all the people that first took a look in '16 and said "fuck that noise". Not to mention we need a not-goofy candidate that can tow the party lion, which we seldom manage to nominate.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Dec 2019, 14:25

Warren wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 13:26
Well, I didn't think the LP would ever have a better chance to sell itself to an uninterested public after 2016, but maybe. It's going to be tougher in 2020 if only for all the people that first took a look in '16 and said "fuck that noise". Not to mention we need a not-goofy candidate that can tow the party lion, which we seldom manage to nominate.
I didn't think Johnson was bad in 2012, but his 2016 "I'm just here so I don't get fined to pay off prior campaign debts" performance was disappointing.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2019, 14:34

Andrew wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 14:25
Warren wrote:
I didn't think Johnson was bad in 2012, but his 2016 "I'm just here so I don't get fined to pay off prior campaign debts" performance was disappointing.
How I would have loved the '12 G Johnson to have been our nominee in '16
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Dec 2019, 20:34

Andrew wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 14:25
Warren wrote:
Was it?

I mean, thanks to 2016, 60% of people who've ever voted for an LP presidential candidate voted for Gary Johnson. Or, put another way, more people voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 than have voted for every LP presidential candidate, ever, put together.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Dec 2019, 21:00

Warren wrote:
Unless the LP does some serious hardcore housecleaning in the near future (and I'm not betting on that at all), I fear libertarianism is likely to become even more tarnished than it already is, in the eyes of the general public. I'm not even talking about the batshit-crazy Dondunderhead-type "libertarians," but shit like: the already-discussed racism and general horribleness of Wayne Allyn Root; Bob Barr's nasty record; Michael Badnarik recently going on the fucking Crying Nazi's podcast, Arvin Vohra's comments about white supremacy, etc. (The fact that Hit and Run continues to refuse to nuke its comment section from orbit isn't helping, either.) Hard to disavow the so-called "libertarian to alt-right pipeline" when the LP and its members do stuff like that.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2019, 21:08

Eric the .5b wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 20:34
I mean, thanks to 2016, 60% of people who've ever voted for an LP presidential candidate voted for Gary Johnson. Or, put another way, more people voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 than have voted for every LP presidential candidate, ever, put together.
Because the major party candidates were so gross. It was a very missed opportunity.
I'm fully convinced Bill Weld held some leverage over Gary Johnson and deliberately torpedoed the LP.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Dec 2019, 21:50

Leverage? Do you think there's footage of the Johnson feeling someone?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Dec 2019, 22:49

Warren wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 21:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
Because the major party candidates were so gross. It was a very missed opportunity.

To what?

What's the realistic possibility here?

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Dec 2019, 00:27

Eric the .5b wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 22:49
Warren wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 21:08
Eric the .5b wrote:

To what?

What's the realistic possibility here?
7%+ on election day. Increased party membership maintained through 2020. Nationwide increase in LP candidates running and elected to town-counsel school-board etc, one or more US reps elected in 2018. Further gains in 2020 including a serious US Senate or Governor challenge. Neo fiscal wing of GOP becomes dominant. Judicial reform, immigration, anti-interventionism, free speech, etc. dominate Democrats, progressive social justice and welfare hawks shrink back into the woodwork.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Dec 2019, 04:52

I didn't say "idealistic fantasy", Warren, I said "realistic possibility".

If you want to be disappointed by a campaign that literally outdid every single other LP candidate ever, combined, you have to judge by standards that have no relationship whatsoever to what the LP is or is capable of.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Dec 2019, 08:35

Everything is an "idealistic fantasy" until it happens.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Dec 2019, 11:57

Warren wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 08:35
No, many things are dystopian fantasies until they happen.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Dec 2019, 12:02

Point taken
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Dec 2019, 19:35

Warren wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 08:35
So how does denouncing every success they actually have as a terrible failure make "it happen"?