Dancing With the Dems

JasonL

Re: Dancing With the Dems

Post by JasonL » 22 Jul 2019, 14:06

It's super super important to get the right kind of policies to animate your base. Notably, a policy that says climate change is the literal end of the world but which should not require your constituents to fork over a red cent.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Jul 2019, 14:08

JasonL wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 14:06
It's super super important to get the right kind of policies to animate your base. Notably, a policy that says climate change is the literal end of the world but which should not require your constituents to fork over a red cent.
...and MAKES THE CORPORASHUNS PAY!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jul 2019, 15:14

Aresen wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 14:08
JasonL wrote:
I think that's really key. Scapegoating the 1% is critical to getting the progressive left to the polls.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jul 2019, 17:20

Warren wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 15:14
Aresen wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 14:08
JasonL wrote:
I think that's really key. Scapegoating the 1% is critical to getting the progressive left to the polls.
If the only other option is scapegoating immigrants, descendants of immigrants (if they're not white), Muslims, Mexicans, gay people, rape victims and the like, I'll go with the former. "Raise her taxes!" isn't nearly as wretched as "Send her back!," IMO.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jul 2019, 11:45

A largely ignored but potentially significant fault line in the Dem base is highlighted by the Sanders view of immigration which is a nicer language version of what Trump is trying to do - he wants sharp reductions in both illegal and legal immigration. He and others proposing large safety nets will inevitably run into the same problems facing most of northern europe now - how do you grant a ton of goodies and allow large migrations into the country without creating a left nativism backlash.

There is some danger for the donkeys that they emphasize the human stories of immigrants at the expense of the factory worker and lose that vote again.

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2019, 09:11

Anyone who is all in on lulztopia, but doesn't support malignant bigotry and racism should be all in on Williamson 2020. I mean who here doesn't want to read 3 dozen NYTimes profiles where the reporter goes into local New Age shops and asks customers about how they think Marianne is doing?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 31 Jul 2019, 09:18

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2019, 09:30

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Jul 2019, 09:42

Mo wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 09:11
Anyone who is all in on lulztopia, but doesn't support malignant bigotry and racism should be all in on Williamson 2020. I mean who here doesn't want to read 3 dozen NYTimes profiles where the reporter goes into local New Age shops and asks customers about how they think Marianne is doing?
Oh, I am so there, bro.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Jul 2019, 09:43

This is where she got me:

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Aug 2019, 04:09

An added Williamson bonus is the heart-attack some Blues have had about the spike in Google searches about her since the last debate. And the whole NGE meme.

Or, to quote someone elsewhere:

Marianne won't run

Marianne is running as a joke

Marianne won't get to the first debate

[[Marianne can't breach 5%]] <-YOU ARE HERE

Marianne can't breach 15%

Marianne can't breach 25%

Marianne won't survive the first primary

Marianne won't win the superdelegates

Marianne won't be the nominee

Marianne can't beat trump in swing states

Marianne can't get 270

Marianne can't harness love for political purposes

Marianne will never be sworn into office

Marianne won't call New Zealand

Marianne can't end US Imperialism

Marianne won't S I L E N C E T H E W O N K S

Marianne can't pass reparations for slavery

Marianne won't win reelection

Marianne can't fix the moral character of the US

Marianne can't open our Chakras to Spirit

Marianne won't get in the freaking robot

Marianne can't initiate the Human Instrumentality Project

Marianne won't cause the Third Impact

This leaves me sighing and going, "If only...", but this...
...is oddly charming for its hilarious insanity. I blame Mr. Rogers.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Aug 2019, 10:03

I'm already exhausted by all the NPR et al coverage of the Democratic candidates and their debates. I totally understand why other people find this important; I'm not expecting the news to cater to my preferences. But I just don't caaaaare. I know already that whoever wins the nomination and runs will be somebody I hate.

I became a fan of President Butt because of his name and his gayness and his incredibly thoughtful and empathetic answer to a question about late-term abortions, and I have deliberately avoided finding anything else out about him or his politics so that my affection isn't ruined.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 11 Aug 2019, 10:17

A candidate should change their name to Seymour Butts. Given the ever-increasing trend of this reality becoming lulztopia, I think they'd win.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 13 Aug 2019, 14:15

Andrew wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 10:17
A candidate should change their name to Seymour Butts. Given the ever-increasing trend of this reality becoming lulztopia, I think they'd win.
Or possibly Votey McVoteface.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Aug 2019, 13:50

It no longer matters who wins, because it won't be Chickenlooper.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Aug 2019, 13:23

Hugh Akston wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 13:50

It no longer matters who wins, because it won't be Chickenlooper.
Man you really don't like that guy.

Seems like he's been about as good as I could hope for from Team Blue. Not as out front on legalization and death penalty reform as I'd like, but kept the greens from Californicating Colorado too badly under his watch.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 18 Aug 2019, 11:38

This is horribly cynical of me (big surprise) but some of these goobers know, in their heart of hearts, they aren’t gonna be the nom. They also know they aren’t getting the VP slot, a cabinet position, or any other of the usual rewards from the party. This suggests they are in it for personal enrichment. I just can’t figure out what the scam is.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Aug 2019, 12:06

tr0g wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:38
This is horribly cynical of me (big surprise) but some of these goobers know, in their heart of hearts, they aren’t gonna be the nom. They also know they aren’t getting the VP slot, a cabinet position, or any other of the usual rewards from the party. This suggests they are in it for personal enrichment. I just can’t figure out what the scam is.
Book sales. Future speaking fees. Building networks of donors for re-election to whatever office they currently hold, because their current networks aren't as lucrative as they'd like. Networks to land some cushy post-politics job after they lose a re-election bid (because, again, the opportunities in their current network aren't as lucrative as they'd like).
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Aug 2019, 13:06

That, after all, is why Trump ran.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Aug 2019, 19:06

tr0g wrote:
Memory recognition. Being taken more seriously the next time they run for an office or committee position, maybe.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Aug 2019, 20:33

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 19:06
tr0g wrote:
Memory recognition. Being taken more seriously the next time they run for an office or committee position, maybe.
Favors from bigwigs for being a good soldier and not dragging things out too long.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Sep 2019, 18:40

Jesus Christ Joe, just hang it up.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 19:31

Mo wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 18:40
Jesus Christ Joe, just hang it up.
Who's your horse then?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Sep 2019, 20:58