Dancing With the Dems

Pham Nuwen

Re: Dancing With the Dems

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Jul 2019, 14:19

Warren wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 11:42
I assumed it was a homonym for 'Mayor Pete'.
To clever for them. They dont even know that word.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Jul 2019, 15:12

Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 14:19
Warren wrote:
To clever for them. They dont even know that word.
No homonym?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Jul 2019, 15:30

Warren wrote:
Same.

They pulled it because the author suggested that if elected, the guy would be fucking his way through DC as a homo adolescence, or "homolescence," if you will.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Jul 2019, 15:46

I thought it might be a play on Mary Sue, like his supporters are wishcasting their idealized perfect person on him.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jul 2019, 16:18

Mo wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:46
I thought it might be a play on Mary Sue, like his supporters are wishcasting their idealized perfect person on him.
That was my first thought.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 13:24

This Bernie wage fight is so perfect
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Jul 2019, 15:14

I thought she was the cool beer-pong-and-whiskey candidate. Why is she squinting at me out of a hedge that is, by the sound of the traffic noise, approximately seven inches away from a major highway?
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 2.10.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 2.10.59 PM.png (129.86 KiB) Viewed 750 times
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Jul 2019, 16:33

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Jul 2019, 17:11

I should have watched to the end. If that happened, I would have donated for sure.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Jul 2019, 09:22

I keep getting Facebook ads trying to get me to sign some survey because, "OMG can you BELIEVE the DNC won't host a debate about climate change???" Yes, yes, I can, because the concentration of self-righteous posturing on that stage would go critical and the entire Solar System would explode.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 Jul 2019, 10:48

Ellie wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 09:22
the concentration of self-righteous posturing on that stage would go critical and the entire Solar System would explode.
When you put it that way, it's much more appealing.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 20 Jul 2019, 11:23

I see Andrew is a prime demographic for SMOD.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Jul 2019, 11:36

Pham Nuwen wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 11:23
I see Andrew is a prime demographic for SMOD.
I need to know SMOD’s position on carbon tax vs cap and trade before committing. And while I’m fairly sure it will be extremely pro abortion, there are those billion year old tweets that sounded kinda speceist. It can claim all he wants that it never intended to discriminate but intent doesn’t matter.

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 21 Jul 2019, 09:33

Aresen wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 23:23
TNR pulled it for its "invasive content", whatever that means.
As a plant person, I find this particular application of the word 'invasive' rather amusing.

Introduced into an inappropriate context, capable of reproducing without limits, overriding existing, niche-adapted content...
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jul 2019, 09:42

Ellie wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 09:22
I keep getting Facebook ads trying to get me to sign some survey because, "OMG can you BELIEVE the DNC won't host a debate about climate change???"
Wait, what? Do those ads want the Dems to debate whether climate change is happening? That's the kind of shit Republicans are likely to pull.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Jul 2019, 16:34

No, they want to do a debate that's entirely about plans for how to address climate change.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jul 2019, 17:38

Ah. For all that I agree climate change is a no-shit problem, I also agree that an entire televised debate dedicated to that topic alone wouldn't go over well. Especially not during campaign season -- first worry about getting that orange psychopath and his racist cronies out of power, THEN focus on some nifty new things you'd like to try. For now, my main focus would be simpler goals, like "Let's return to our previous no-concentration-camps status quo."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Shem

Post by Shem » 22 Jul 2019, 00:52

Jennifer wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 17:38
first worry about getting that orange psychopath and his racist cronies out of power
"Keeping the orange psychopath out of power" didn't work so well as a driving force in 2016. And "get rid of the psychopaths who lied us into Iraq" didn't work well for John Kerry. The goal is to have a slate of actual policy positions that don't feel like someone wrote them up for a position paper. Whether climate change is the right policy to focus on is open for debate, but in a country where pretty much nobody is "not sure" when it comes to "do you approve of the President," putting all your time into telling people how terrible he is won't actually provide you any benefits.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jul 2019, 01:03

Shem wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 00:52
Jennifer wrote:
first worry about getting that orange psychopath and his racist cronies out of power
"Keeping the orange psychopath out of power" didn't work so well as a driving force in 2016. And "get rid of the psychopaths who lied us into Iraq" didn't work well for John Kerry. The goal is to have a slate of actual policy positions that don't feel like someone wrote them up for a position paper. Whether climate change is the right policy to focus on is open for debate, but in a country where pretty much nobody is "not sure" when it comes to "do you approve of the President," putting all your time into telling people how terrible he is won't actually provide you any benefits.
Oh, no doubt. But -- killing both the policy-prescription and lose-the-psycho birds with one stone -- things like "the economy and how to fix it" (including but not limited to those aspects of it hurt by the tariffs) or "the euphemism camps and their mistreatment of prisoners -- how the hell do we fix this?" might be better than debating which of the many proposed solutions and fixes to climate change is The One.

Shem

Post by Shem » 22 Jul 2019, 02:05

Jennifer wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 01:03
Shem wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Oh, no doubt. But -- killing both the policy-prescription and lose-the-psycho birds with one stone -- things like "the economy and how to fix it" (including but not limited to those aspects of it hurt by the tariffs) or "the euphemism camps and their mistreatment of prisoners -- how the hell do we fix this?" might be better than debating which of the many proposed solutions and fixes to climate change is The One.
They're already doing those in the debates they have scheduled (in which the economy and immigration made up a third of the combined speaking time alone). It's not like this is "cut something in favor of that." it's "add an additional debate to cover what is consistently the #1 ranked issue among the Democratic voters who we know will be voting in the primaries." Which is who these debates are for. The people you're encouraging them to appeal to aren't going to be paying attention for at least 6 months.

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Jul 2019, 05:03

Shem wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Nobody thought the orange psychopath would win. The D's goal in 2020 should be getting their turnout to match 2012, rather than 2016. Trump won the "people who hate both candidates" vote pretty handily in 2016. Flip the number there and the election goes the other way. That's basically what happened in 2018. You don't change people's minds, you get the people who stayed at home to go out. This thread highlights a strategy. No one is flipping because of climate change policy.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jul 2019, 10:01

Shem wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 02:05
The people you're encouraging them to appeal to aren't going to be paying attention for at least 6 months.
I forget this all the damn time. A few nights ago in a discussion with colleagues Kamala Harris came up and I blurted out "but Kamala Harris is a cop!" and they had not a clue what I was talking about. Easy to forget that most people are just busy living their lives and knowing more than the bare minimum is a distinct minority of people.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Shem

Post by Shem » 22 Jul 2019, 10:11

Mo wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 05:03
You don't change people's minds, you get the people who stayed at home to go out. This thread highlights a strategy. No one is flipping because of climate change policy.
And again, we're 16 months away from the general election, and Donald Trump isn't actually on the ballot for the contests the current debates are being called for. They are for the Democratic primaries. The only people who care about them are the small subset of Democratic voters who take part in primaries and caucuses. People who aren't going to be voting for Donald Trump no matter what he does. This is where policy debates are supposed to happen, so that some sort of rough consensus can be knocked out. That was Hillary Clinton's problem; the fact that she was essentially crowned meant that the Sanders camp could spend months relitigating stuff that should have been finished long before anyone was watching.

The arguments are going to happen. Do you want them to happen now, among candidates and before anyone is watching, or 6 months from now among your voters at caucuses?

JD

Post by JD » 22 Jul 2019, 12:23

dead_elvis wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 10:01
Shem wrote:
The people you're encouraging them to appeal to aren't going to be paying attention for at least 6 months.
I forget this all the damn time. A few nights ago in a discussion with colleagues Kamala Harris came up and I blurted out "but Kamala Harris is a cop!" and they had not a clue what I was talking about. Easy to forget that most people are just busy living their lives and knowing more than the bare minimum is a distinct minority of people.
Most people don't vote based on facts and principles and a careful analysis of the record, they just vote on a kind of overall feeling about things. Sometimes it's "Republicans are the party of racists and warmongers and Big Business, I would never vote for a Republican!" or "Democrats are the party of higher taxes and being soft on crime, I would never vote for a Democrat!" and sometimes it's just "That Joe Congressionalcandidate sounds like a smart guy who gets us, so I'm going to vote for him."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Shem

Post by Shem » 22 Jul 2019, 13:54

JD wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 12:23
dead_elvis wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 10:01
Shem wrote:
Most people don't vote based on facts and principles and a careful analysis of the record, they just vote on a kind of overall feeling about things. Sometimes it's "Republicans are the party of racists and warmongers and Big Business, I would never vote for a Republican!" or "Democrats are the party of higher taxes and being soft on crime, I would never vote for a Democrat!" and sometimes it's just "That Joe Congressionalcandidate sounds like a smart guy who gets us, so I'm going to vote for him."
At this point, it's not even that. Crossover voters are practically nonexistent. It's more "Senator Snakeoil doesn't really care about me. I'm not going to bother to vote."