A*M*A*S*H

Taktix®

A*M*A*S*H

Post by Taktix® » 13 Jun 2019, 21:10

I mean, if Rand Paul gets his own thread...

Or.

Genuine Principle Guy or Opportunist Finds Niche? Unlike Flake he's not throwing shade on the way out the door.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

dhex

Re: A*M*A*S*H

Post by dhex » 13 Jun 2019, 21:40

That was genuinely good Twitter.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Jun 2019, 22:29

Can you imagine having to respond to Donald Trump Jr? Even Donald Trump Sr doesn't stoop that low.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jun 2019, 23:45

I would not be surprised if Amash lost the primary. If he does, the Michigan 3rd District is going to be (D).
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2019, 11:19

Aresen wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 23:45
I would not be surprised if Amash lost the primary. If he does, the Michigan 3rd District is going to be (D).
Not a chance. West MI is deeply wedded to the GOP they will vote R no matter what name follows it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 14 Jun 2019, 11:55

Aresen wrote:
I think Amash is better positioned to survive being primaried by a Trumpista than other non-left Trump critics, because Michigan is an open primary...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Jun 2019, 12:26

Warren wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 11:19
Aresen wrote:
Not a chance. West MI is deeply wedded to the GOP they will vote R no matter what name follows it.
This is the place that gave us Jerry Ford after all.

(oh c'mon I keed I keed)

(and yeah i used to work some in Grand Rapids when I was in Michigan and this is true)
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2019, 12:33

I don't think DTJr is going to primary Amash himself, and would be better off staying out of MI altogether.
reason wrote:In a June 5-9 Practical Political Consulting (PPC) and MIRS survey of just 360 likely GOP voters announced Tuesday (though not yet available online), Lower thumped Amash in a head-to-head matchup, 49 percent to 33 percent. According to MIRS News, the poll also found that if President Donald Trump campaigned in the district for Lower, "the challenger's margin actually goes down 43 [percent] to 32 [percent]."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Jun 2019, 12:41

This is a good thread title.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Jun 2019, 03:44

Scene_5B-opening_sequence.jpg
Scene_5B-opening_sequence.jpg (41.43 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Jun 2019, 09:05

Feels like genuine principle guy. There’s nothing to gain from this.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Jun 2019, 14:47

Really, so far I like Amash better than I like both Pauls put together, but that also speaks to how little I think of those grifters, anymore.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Jun 2019, 15:00

Eric the .5b wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 14:47
Really, so far I like Amash better than I like both Pauls put together, but that also speaks to how little I think of those grifters, anymore.
+1

But, given time, I'm sure he'll make us regret this.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jun 2019, 17:05

I'd like Amash a lot more if his principles didn't include "The second a woman (or barely pubescent girl) catches pregnant, her body ceases to be her own, and forcing her to carry that pregnancy to term is a totes legitimate use of state power."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2019, 04:03

Jennifer wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 17:05
I'd like Amash a lot more if his principles didn't include "The second a woman (or barely pubescent girl) catches pregnant, her body ceases to be her own, and forcing her to carry that pregnancy to term is a totes legitimate use of state power."
That's not an area where the Pauls (or Flake) have shined any better.

The Teams' aggressive branding on abortion is probably a big part of the problem (nearly 30% of Team Red voters support abortion on demand while 40% of Team Blue voters oppose it in every case, but it's always marketed as a straight party divide). However, it's always striking that no matter how iconoclastic a Red politician is supposed to be, they're never pro-choice.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 18 Jun 2019, 10:27

thoreau wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 15:00
Eric the .5b wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 14:47
+1

But, given time, I'm sure he'll make us regret this.
I'll sign up for the newsletter as well. I just hope Lew Rockwell isn't writing it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jun 2019, 11:02

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 04:03
Jennifer wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 17:05
That's not an area where the Pauls (or Flake) have shined any better.

The Teams' aggressive branding on abortion is probably a big part of the problem (nearly 30% of Team Red voters support abortion on demand while 40% of Team Blue voters oppose it in every case, but it's always marketed as a straight party divide). However, it's always striking that no matter how iconoclastic a Red politician is supposed to be, they're never pro-choice.
I'm guessing that's because a pro-choice Red would never survive the primary. The anti-abortionists are very much SIVs and also have a higher tendency to turn out to vote, especially in primaries.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2019, 11:08

Much like the Pauls, however much I don't like the things I don't like about him, on the whole I like him more than I dislike him and that makes him unique in the House.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jun 2019, 11:18

Warren wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 11:08
Much like the Pauls, however much I don't like the things I don't like about him, on the whole I like him more than I dislike him and that makes him unique in the House.
Pretty much this. If we are going to apply a 'Libertarian Purity Test' to every single politician who says something we like, then we get absolutely nothing. ("Representative X supports Criminal Justice Reform? Fuck him, he also opposes legalizing marijuana." "Representative Y supports reducing tariffs? Fuck her, she supports more military spending.")

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2019, 17:16

Aresen wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 11:18
Warren wrote:
Pretty much this. If we are going to apply a 'Libertarian Purity Test' to every single politician who says something we like, then we get absolutely nothing. ("Representative X supports Criminal Justice Reform? Fuck him, he also opposes legalizing marijuana." "Representative Y supports reducing tariffs? Fuck her, she supports more military spending.")
I'd generally agree, and like I said, Amash seems much better than the Pauls, but abortion is kind of a major issue right now. He's not just holding an un-libertarian stance, but advancing one in a political situation where that is likely to win out and cause serious, lasting harm.

After all, he's a politician. It's not like I have to net approve of him.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2019, 20:10

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 17:16
...abortion is kind of a major issue right now. He's not just holding an un-libertarian stance...
Pro-life is not un-libertarian.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Jun 2019, 20:15

Depends who you ask.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jun 2019, 20:17

dead_elvis wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 20:15
Depends who you ask.
*Ahem*

It depends upon whom you ask.

Also, it should go without saying that all right-minded people agree that sriracha is a superb condiment.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Jun 2019, 20:28

But yo Sriracha mixed with mayonnaise is fucking dope.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jun 2019, 20:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 17:16
Aresen wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 11:18
Warren wrote:
I'd generally agree, and like I said, Amash seems much better than the Pauls, but abortion is kind of a major issue right now.
Quite understandably so, IMO, from the perspective of women whose lives/career plans would be personally destroyed if they were forced by law to bear a child they didn't want and couldn't afford. [And even more monstrous when the bans go so far as to outlaw it even for rape victims, when the mother's life is at stake, when the fetus is completely unviable, and similar things. And when the laws would essentially treat all miscarriages as potential crimes to be investigated.] Just as the war on drugs harms lots of innocent people, not just illegal-drug buyers, sellers and users, the harms caused by a war on abortion would NOT be limited to women seeking to get one.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b