The Right Way to View Competing Political Horrors

Aresen

Re: The Right Way to View Competing Political Horrors

Post by Aresen » 06 Jul 2019, 15:49

Jennifer wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 14:15
Have any Republicans commented on Trump's apparent belief that airports were important military targets during the Revolutionary War?
They haven't had time. They were all attending the Flat Earth Convention.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Jul 2019, 02:11

I definitely heard that BHO made a gaffe once too.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Jul 2019, 02:37

Do you really think Trump's comment was merely a "gaffe," Jason?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Jul 2019, 02:43

Jennifer wrote:Do you really think Trump's comment was merely a "gaffe," Jason?
I do yes, but to clarify I was eye rolling at right wingers doing the “yeah but Obama said a dumb thing too” thing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2019, 08:42

If it wasn't a gaffe, DJT is King Troll.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 07 Jul 2019, 08:54

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 08:42
If it wasn't a gaffe, DJT is King Troll.
Is this a troll?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2019, 09:23

no?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jul 2019, 11:34

What's really scary is the possibility that the airport remark was in the text of the speech. Which means that at least one other person in the administration thought it should go in there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2019, 11:42

thoreau wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 11:34
What's really scary is the possibility that the airport remark was in the text of the speech. Which means that at least one other person in the administration thought it should go in there.

If that's the case, what's scary is how many of you fell for it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jul 2019, 11:47

Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 11:34

If that's the case, what's scary is how many of you fell for it.
Are you one of my colleagues? Is this the part where we say that facts and brains don't matter? Do I get accused of not valuing diversity if I say that book smarts matter?

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 07 Jul 2019, 14:51

I have no idea if this is correct but it felt right when I read it yesterday on reddit.

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2019, 15:03

plausible
I don't know to what extent he struggles with reading. He doesn't seem to do much better off the cuff. Got to be one of the least articulate public speakers of all time.

W use to irritate the shit out of me with his Beavis and Butt-Head speaking style, but Trump is so much worse I just laugh.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jul 2019, 15:15

Pham Nuwen wrote:I have no idea if this is correct but it felt right when I read it yesterday on reddit.

Even if this explanation is true, one of his speechwriters got the Revolutionary War confused with the War of 1812.

--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Jul 2019, 15:38

"He's not an ignoramus who thought airports existed during the Revolutionary War; he's merely a seventy-something-year-old man whose reading skills are on par with a struggling first-grader."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Jul 2019, 15:52

Jennifer wrote:"He's not an ignoramus who thought airports existed during the Revolutionary War; he's merely a seventy-something-year-old man whose reading skills are on par with a struggling first-grader."
But he’s not stupid, you are for falling for his trick and making fun of him for it.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jul 2019, 16:01

This is all eleven dimensional chess. It's as brilliant as when W started a war that ignited a massive insurgency, so that terrorists would flock to the flypaper.

Stable geniuses all of them.

--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 07 Jul 2019, 16:26

I thought it was just a good explanation how he's made such a gaffe. I mean I feel we already knew he was functionally illiterate but I thought that was a great explanation on how it looks. *shrug*

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Jul 2019, 20:27

Pham Nuwen wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 16:26
I thought it was just a good explanation how he's made such a gaffe. I mean I feel we already knew he was functionally illiterate but I thought that was a great explanation on how it looks. *shrug*
It was. People are snarking at Warren's TDS.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 07 Jul 2019, 21:14

Ah. I missed that.

Shem

Post by Shem » 07 Jul 2019, 21:46

Pham Nuwen wrote:
It could be that. But one of the most important habits you have to break when you're trying to become a really good public speaker is the habit of self-correcting every error you make. There are some that are important to pick back up on, but generally speaking, it's almost always better to continue as if you didn't make a mistake. If you self-correct and nobody picked up on it, you did it for no reason, and made yourself look bad. And if someone did pick up on it, you correcting yourself isn't really going to change anything; it's just going to put you off your flow and make you more nervous. And most people aren't going to remember it after the speech anyway. Given his reluctance to admit any error whatsoever unless it can be made self-serving, it wouldn't surprise me if it was just speaking habits.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2019, 21:53

Shem wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 21:46
Pham Nuwen wrote:
It could be that. But one of the most important habits you have to break when you're trying to become a really good public speaker is the habit of self-correcting every error you make. There are some that are important to pick back up on, but generally speaking, it's almost always better to continue as if you didn't make a mistake. If you self-correct and nobody picked up on it, you did it for no reason, and made yourself look bad. And if someone did pick up on it, you correcting yourself isn't really going to change anything; it's just going to put you off your flow and make you more nervous. And most people aren't going to remember it after the speech anyway. Given his reluctance to admit any error whatsoever unless it can be made self-serving, it wouldn't surprise me if it was just speaking habits.
Yeah. He's use to being surrounded by yes-men and being in control of the narrative. No experience with the sort of public speech making required of politicians.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Jul 2019, 22:37

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 21:53
Yeah. He's use to being surrounded by yes-men and being in control of the narrative. No experience with the sort of public speech making required of politicians.
I think the part about yes-men is critical. He simply does not deal well with criticism, and automatically turns to name-calling when someone contradicts him.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jul 2019, 22:47

Again, even if we grant the most charitable interpretation of the airport remark, there's still the references to the War of 1812 in the midst of a Revolutionary War discussion. His speechwriters are fucking stupid.

But, for Warren's sake, we'll just assume that the Don himself is acting on a cunning plan.

--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Jul 2019, 23:40

thoreau wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 22:47

But, for Warren's sake, we'll just assume that the Don himself is acting on a cunning plan.
You mean that he's a cunning lingu....

[No, I just can't do it.]

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2019, 23:54

thoreau wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 22:47
Again, even if we grant the most charitable interpretation of the airport remark, there's still the references to the War of 1812 in the midst of a Revolutionary War discussion. His speechwriters are fucking stupid.

I can believe The Donald is that stupid, but his speechwriters? I dunno. I wouldn't think so, but the people around him are chosen for their brownnosing enthusiasm. So maybe? Do we even know who his speechwriters are?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT