The Right Way to View Competing Political Horrors

Hugh Akston

Re: The Right Way to View Competing Political Horrors

Post by Hugh Akston »

Painboy wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 18:04
The Left, even with it's blind spots, is much better about science and its intellectualism. The Left certainly has more ideas and outside of the fringe is generally more likely to compromise on things. The problem I have with them is they are very "imaginative" and when it comes to politics that's a very dangerous thing. I don't want "imaginative" politicians. If there was a modicum of humility along with that I might not be so concerned. Unfortunately there is an arrogance about their own cleverness. They're smarter than the other guy and they know it. There is a very real belief throughout the Left that if they can just get the right people elected and the correct policies through they can fix everything. Most seem to see this as a given. That the answers are all obvious. That kind of terrifies me.
"Smart power at its best"
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Shem wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 17:26
Jadagul wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 17:13
lunchstealer wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 15:18
Yeah the only reason Collins and Murkowski haven't gotten purged is because they are kind of necessary to ensure 51 votes (either 51 senators or 50+Pence) and at least Collins is in an otherwise blue-leaning state.
Also, to be fair, it's hard to credibly threaten to purge Murkowski. They did that ten years ago and it didn't take.
That's an understatement. She won a write-in campaign in the general election. That's insane. I'm a little surprised she didn't kneecap Mitch McConnell with an aluminum bat on the floor of the Senate while quoting Omar from The Wire. I'm certain I would have.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... 6zihKUBZX8

I'm sure that the Blues do this too.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The right way to view competing political horrors is to focus on the absolute dumbest petty shit from both parties to cast your side as thoughtful, empathetic poet-angels of public service and the other side as reckless lying dum-dums.
On one hand, you had a lovely, personal endorsement of former vice president Joe Biden from 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, followed by a substantive discussion of the unequal impact of the coronavirus. After Biden introduced her as “a woman who should be president of the United States right now,” Clinton remarked, “I wish he were president right now, but I can’t wait until he is.” In the midst of a pandemic that is closing in on 60,000 dead Americans and has exceeded 1 million confirmed cases under the non-leadership of an incompetent president, the exchange was enough to break one’s heart. On display was empathetic, data-driven leadership. The friendly reminiscing of their time in the Obama administration reminded us of a time when graceful, decent and cordial people populated government.
In the Republican sphere, on the other hand, President Trump and his enablers displayed some of the worst of the worst behavior. The Post reports: “Vice President Pence on Tuesday visited the Mayo Clinic and spoke with patients and staff while not wearing a face mask, an apparent violation of the medical center’s policy during the coronavirus pandemic.” Apparently, he was told about the policy and chose to disregard it. (“The Mayo Clinic confirmed Tuesday afternoon in a now-deleted tweet that it had communicated its masking policy to the vice president and his team.”) Unfortunately, the clinic did not bar the vice president from the facility.
Anyways it's no wonder all the smart kids are zealously partisan.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 16:49
The right way to view competing political horrors is to focus on the absolute dumbest petty shit from both parties to cast your side as thoughtful, empathetic poet-angels of public service and the other side as reckless lying dum-dums.
Are you implying it's some how disingenuous for Thoreau to mention such people as "a Republican vice president" or "a Republican state party chairman" as examples of what today's Republicans are like?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jennifer wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 16:54
Hugh Akston wrote:
Are you implying it's some how disingenuous for Thoreau to mention such people as "a Republican vice president" or "a Republican state party chairman" as examples of what today's Republicans are like?
I don't believe I mentioned thoreau.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 17:11
Jennifer wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Then I'll rephrase the question: are you implying it's somehow disingenuous for anyone to mention such people as "a Republican vice president" or "a Republican state party chairman" as examples of what today's Republicans are like? If not, what point were you trying to make?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
On one hand, you had a lovely, personal endorsement of former vice president Joe Biden from 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, followed by a substantive discussion of the unequal impact of the coronavirus. After Biden introduced her as “a woman who should be president of the United States right now,” Clinton remarked, “I wish he were president right now, but I can’t wait until he is.” In the midst of a pandemic that is closing in on 60,000 dead Americans and has exceeded 1 million confirmed cases under the non-leadership of an incompetent president, the exchange was enough to break one’s heart. On display was empathetic, data-driven leadership. The friendly reminiscing of their time in the Obama administration reminded us of a time when graceful, decent and cordial people populated government.
In the Republican sphere, on the other hand, President Trump and his enablers displayed some of the worst of the worst behavior. The Post reports: “Vice President Pence on Tuesday visited the Mayo Clinic and spoke with patients and staff while not wearing a face mask, an apparent violation of the medical center’s policy during the coronavirus pandemic.” Apparently, he was told about the policy and chose to disregard it. (“The Mayo Clinic confirmed Tuesday afternoon in a now-deleted tweet that it had communicated its masking policy to the vice president and his team.”) Unfortunately, the clinic did not bar the vice president from the facility.
Anyways it's no wonder all the smart kids are zealously partisan.
I mean that's Jennifer Rubin so ... maybe it's TDS but Rubin isn't exactly known for her Obama hagiographies.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

FWIW, I have no doubt that plenty of Blue politicians are visiting healthcare facilities without wearing face masks, and encouraging protesters to show up disguised as medical personnel. They must be doing this because, as an Evil Fiziks Type, I know that the universe obeys CP symmetry (Conservative-Progressive symmetry), so for any Red action there is an equal-and-opposite Blue action. If we don't detect them, it just means that we need to build a larger particle collider to detect these equal and opposite Blue actions.

And even if the particle collider doesn't detect them, well, I'll be in an underground lair getting bombarded by gamma radiation and acquiring superpowers. So, you know, I can take it in stride.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jennifer wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 17:46
Hugh Akston wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Then I'll rephrase the question: are you implying it's somehow disingenuous for anyone to mention such people as "a Republican vice president" or "a Republican state party chairman" as examples of what today's Republicans are like? If not, what point were you trying to make?
I'm not implying anything of the sort. The point I'm making is that journalos focusing on the stupid shit that politicians say and do—as opposed to their policies and the effects thereof—make politics and political commentary seem like a reality show aftershow. And eliding your side's dumb shit/policy failures while magnifying the other side's dumb shit policy failures just makes partisans look like the dumbest most disingenuous motherfuckers alive.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 18:10
Jennifer wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 17:46
Hugh Akston wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
I'm not implying anything of the sort. The point I'm making is that journalos focusing on the stupid shit that politicians say and do—as opposed to their policies and the effects thereof—make politics and political commentary seem like a reality show aftershow. And eliding your side's dumb shit/policy failures while magnifying the other side's dumb shit policy failures just makes partisans look like the dumbest most disingenuous motherfuckers alive.
You've just got a weird definition of partisan if Team Blue can be gunning for a columnist's job for being too pro-Romney in 2012 and now you're calling her partisan for hating Trump and Trumpism and what it's done to the GOP. I mean yeah Romney wasn't exactly a conservative firebrand and was/is a squishy-middle moderate Republican milquetoast but still, not-cult-of-trump isn't a party.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Look, all I know for certain is that somewhere out there a leading member of Team Blue must be urging doctors to do experiments where they inject patients with Lysol. Symmetry demands it.
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

thoreau wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 18:18
Look, all I know for certain is that somewhere out there a leading member of Team Blue must be urging doctors to do experiments where they inject patients with Lysol. Symmetry demands it.
This is a fine example of what I'm talking about. Thanks thoreau.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

No problem.
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 18:10
And in the context of this particular thread -- debating whether both sides are equally bad or if one side actually is worse than the other -- what were you hoping to prove by pointing out that both sides have people wearing partisan blinders?

I can't recall any current member of this forum -- let alone participants in this particular thread -- who've denied that.