The Right Way to View Competing Political Horrors

Eric the .5b

Re: The Right Way to View Competing Political Horrors

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Jul 2019, 05:57

Well, let's consider all the brilliant people he's gotten for every other White House position
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Jul 2019, 07:21

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 23:54
thoreau wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 22:47
Again, even if we grant the most charitable interpretation of the airport remark, there's still the references to the War of 1812 in the midst of a Revolutionary War discussion. His speechwriters are fucking stupid.

But, for Warren's sake, we'll just assume that the Don himself is acting on a cunning plan.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I can believe The Donald is that stupid, but his speechwriters? I dunno. I wouldn't think so, but the people around him are chosen for their brownnosing enthusiasm. So maybe? Do we even know who his speechwriters are?
Stephen Miller is the head of speechwriting, so yes, they are stupid.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jul 2019, 17:10

Remember when Trump said he was going to hire "the best people?" And his fans believed him? *snicker*
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jul 2019, 16:24

Even after the vile racism of Trump's latest rally turning into an anti-Omar rally, complete with chants of "send her back!," Republicans can't bring themselves to condemn Trump's comments without whatabouting Democrats.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... -back.html
There’s a pattern here: Admit that it’s not great that a frenzied crowd of white people is demanding that a black U.S. citizen and democratically elected congresswoman be “sent back” to Africa, but then make sure to say that she and her three high-profile colleagues have also “disgusted” you because they don’t “appreciate” or “respect” the United States, an accusation for which you don’t/can’t cite any particular things they’ve actually done because the allegations of anti-Americanism leveled against Omar are strained out-of-context smears and the ones against Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, and Rashida Tlaib aren’t based on anything at all except the fact that they’re liberal women who aren’t white. Such a lack of patriotism on their part, being born like that!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jul 2019, 20:13

Jennifer wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 16:24
Even after the vile racism of Trump's latest rally turning into an anti-Omar rally, complete with chants of "send her back!," Republicans can't bring themselves to condemn Trump's comments without whatabouting Democrats.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... -back.html
There’s a pattern here: Admit that it’s not great that a frenzied crowd of white people is demanding that a black U.S. citizen and democratically elected congresswoman be “sent back” to Africa, but then make sure to say that she and her three high-profile colleagues have also “disgusted” you because they don’t “appreciate” or “respect” the United States, an accusation for which you don’t/can’t cite any particular things they’ve actually done because the allegations of anti-Americanism leveled against Omar are strained out-of-context smears and the ones against Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, and Rashida Tlaib aren’t based on anything at all except the fact that they’re liberal women who aren’t white. Such a lack of patriotism on their part, being born like that!
While I always thought there remained a core group of bigots in the USA, I deluded myself that no national politician would dare openly pander to them.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jul 2019, 20:39

Nonsense, Aresen. Both parties are exactly identical in all ways.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jul 2019, 21:33

From the Toronto Star:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2019, 17:38

Two Republican candidates in Mississippi have promised never ever to be alone with a woman other than their wife. Haven't seen the GOP leadership condemning this, nor have I seen equivalent WTFery coming from Democrats. Where "women's issues" (and "issues with women") are concerned, I'm fairly comfortable in saying "Today's Republicans are noticeably worse than today's Democrats; the two parties here are not the same, nor even two sides of the same coin."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 19 Jul 2019, 17:40

And with that, the thread was lost.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Jul 2019, 18:59

Dangerman wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 17:40
And with that, the thread was lost.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2019, 19:52

If anyone has any actual arguments why Democrats are actually worse than Republicans these days (or even strictly equal), I would be interested in hearing them! Any takers?

There are countless examples of Republicans being shits about women, but I don't know of any corresponding examples of Democrats trying to turn the tables on men -- have any female Democratic lawmakers said they won't talk to men without a chaperone present? Democrats arguing that (for example) health insurance should not cover problems with male-specific body parts, since this is unfair to women, who never suffer from prostate trouble yet are forced to pay premiums to insurance companies that cover it? Anything along those lines?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Jul 2019, 20:01

The Democrats aren't worse than the Republicans. They are just the same as the Republicans because all things are the same and any insinuation of difference is hyperbole.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 19 Jul 2019, 20:05

No, harder.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Jul 2019, 20:30

Dangerman wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 20:05
No, harder.
Daddy?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Jul 2019, 20:32

I'm fine with saying Democrats, on average and especially out of power, are the lesser of the Two Evil Parties. As always, it nonetheless bears pointing out that they both want our money and they both want to tell us what we can and cannot do with our lives and, as always, it's just a matter of who wants more of what on what particular issue. Take all the snapshots you want, but the only way to view the actual, let alone relative evil of the two parties is over time.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2019, 21:06

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 20:32
I'm fine with saying Democrats, on average and especially out of power, are the lesser of the Two Evil Parties. As always, it nonetheless bears pointing out that they both want our money and they both want to tell us what we can and cannot do with our lives and, as always, it's just a matter of who wants more of what on what particular issue. Take all the snapshots you want, but the only way to view the actual, let alone relative evil of the two parties is over time.
Sure, but at this point, looking just over the timeline of my own personal likely expected lifetime, I don't see the Democrats devolving into something as vile as contemporary Republicans. Lee Atwater gave his infamous dogwhistle/Southern Strategy interview in 1981, when the strategy was already roughly a generation old, and while Republicans throughout my adult lifetime have always engaged in some nasty dogwhistle stuff, not until the 2016 campaign did it erupt into full-blown white ethnocentric Trumpism.

I personally have serious complaints about every likely Democratic candidate right now, but I'll vote for any of them over Trump. Even that vile Kamala Harris.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Jul 2019, 21:10

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jul 2019, 18:13

From my old stomping grounds in Connecticut (where, at least in my day -- pre-2012 -- "moderate Republicans" not ONLY existed, but were the majority of Republicans in office): a town selectman in Colchester lost the GOP caucus endorsement after criticizing Trump's racist tweets.

https://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/20 ... _6P4StemgY
On Monday and Tuesday, Stan Soby’s Twitter account included retweets of posts that were critical of President Donald Trump’s racist comments about four congresswomen of color.

On Tuesday, Soby, a 13-year member of Colchester’s Board of Selectmen, was not endorsed by his Republican caucus. And his tweets critical of the president and in favor of some Democrats appear to be a big reason why.
I look forward to reading many insightful and well-reasoned arguments as to why "the party where even criticizing racism has become the political kiss of death" is no worse than the alternative. Or, in lieu of reason and insight, a slew of sulky comments a la "No, YOU suck. Nyaaah."