The State is Over! If You Want It

Hugh Akston

The State is Over! If You Want It

Post by Hugh Akston »

A thread for the various ways both good and bad that emergent order fills the gaps left by the state.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Hugh Akston

Re: The State is Over! If You Want It

Post by Hugh Akston »

Moynihan has a story about private security firms taking over police duties in Detroit, where the city can't afford to retain its cops:
It's become a booming industry here in recent years, with the largest contractor, Securitas, reporting 25% year-over-year growth since the city's bankruptcy.

Another successful player in the business is Threat Management Center, run by ex-Army paratrooper Dale Brown. His 60-person VIPER force serves a client roster of over 5,000 private citizens and 100 businesses. Altogether, he said, the company brings in about $2 million a year.
Two thoughts:
1) These guys look like clowns, even with their tactical boats and motorcycles.

2) It will be interesting to see what happens when one of these Army Surplus Store gift card holders inevitably shoots an unarmed person in the back. Since they aren't state actors they don't have sovereign immunity, and they may lack the political connections and capital to avoid criminal consequences for their actions the way cops do.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:04 Moynihan has a story about private security firms taking over police duties in Detroit, where the city can't afford to retain its cops:
It's become a booming industry here in recent years, with the largest contractor, Securitas, reporting 25% year-over-year growth since the city's bankruptcy.

Another successful player in the business is Threat Management Center, run by ex-Army paratrooper Dale Brown. His 60-person VIPER force serves a client roster of over 5,000 private citizens and 100 businesses. Altogether, he said, the company brings in about $2 million a year.
Two thoughts:

2) It will be interesting to see what happens when one of these Army Surplus Store gift card holders inevitably shoots an unarmed person in the back. Since they aren't state actors they don't have sovereign immunity, and they may lack the political connections and capital to avoid criminal consequences for their actions the way cops do.
The police are answerable to the public...
Ha ha ha. Pull the other one Chief.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote: 01 May 2019, 21:26
Hugh Akston wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:04 Moynihan has a story about private security firms taking over police duties in Detroit, where the city can't afford to retain its cops:

Two thoughts:

I laugh with you Warren, but it's a crying kind of laugh, because you know that the first time one of the rent-a-cops blows the wrong person away, the rallying cry of the ones on the public teat is going to be 'we are answerable.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 01 May 2019, 23:22
Warren wrote: 01 May 2019, 21:26

Two thoughts:

I laugh with you Warren, but it's a crying kind of laugh, because you know that the first time one of the rent-a-cops blows the wrong person away, the rallying cry of the ones on the public teat is going to be 'we are answerable.'
I WTFV The rent-a-cops are unarmed. The lead guy is, somewhat amusingly, too gung-ho, but I find the service he offers to be properly executed and much preferable to government goons.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
JD

Post by JD »

The funny thing is that in some ways, the answer is "the great majority of things we do in a (reasonably) free-market economy". I have heard repeated stories of visitors from Communist countries being introduced to the West and not being able to grasp "But how do you know how much anything should cost?"
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Mo

Post by Mo »

JD wrote: 02 May 2019, 00:51 The funny thing is that in some ways, the answer is "the great majority of things we do in a (reasonably) free-market economy". I have heard repeated stories of visitors from Communist countries being introduced to the West and not being able to grasp "But how do you know how much anything should cost?"
The funny thing is in some ways, the no listed prices thing is the future of capitalism. There's more friction in haggle societies, but you get perfect price discovery.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I think there will be multiple equilibria based on good or service. Also a feature of emergent order.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Rent-A-Cops may have silly uniforms and not carry firearms now, but so did real cops back in the day. Frog, meet kettle.

On the topic of emergent order generally, I look back at all those stories about the landed gentry just not getting that mere ownership of farm land wasn't going to be the sole or most important source of wealth and power forever. Whatever the prevailing powers that be may happen to be can try to stop or co-op change, but only the ones who embrace and learn to use the change get to hold on to that power and get, for a while, to be the new status quo.
Shem

Post by Shem »

Mo wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:02
JD wrote: 02 May 2019, 00:51 The funny thing is that in some ways, the answer is "the great majority of things we do in a (reasonably) free-market economy". I have heard repeated stories of visitors from Communist countries being introduced to the West and not being able to grasp "But how do you know how much anything should cost?"
The funny thing is in some ways, the no listed prices thing is the future of capitalism. There's more friction in haggle societies, but you get perfect price discovery.
In a world with Amazon? Nah, the future of capitalism is algorithms that make listed prices rise and fall in semi-real time depending on how many people are buying the item. We've already noted this happening at work when we buy office supplies from Amazon. Buy half the office desk-sized whiteboards to replace post-it notes, the price jumps $8 two days later. Next month, the prices are back to where they were.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Warren

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote: 02 May 2019, 10:05
In a world with Amazon? Nah, the future of capitalism is algorithms that make listed prices rise and fall in semi-real time depending on how many people are buying the item. We've already noted this happening at work when we buy office supplies from Amazon. Buy half the office desk-sized whiteboards to replace post-it notes, the price jumps $8 two days later. Next month, the prices are back to where they were.
And I'm told the price varies customer to customer, so shopping in a private window can be advantageous. I currently rely on the market to provide me with the best price via the Honey app.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I've told the story before, but on a vacation to recently post-Warsaw Pact Poland, a woman liked some gewgaw a street peddler was selling and figured she'd get a half dozen to bring back as gifts but when she asked what the price for six was, the peddler asked for a higher price per gewgaw than she was asking for them apiece. Her reasoning was, hey, this buyer really must like them, so I can charge her even more!

On the topic of Commie bewilderment over prices, I've read that back in the USSR (cue Beatles soundtrack) they had to rely on Sears catalogs and the like to figure out how much to charge for, say, a pair of shoes. I don't know if the story is true, but it delights me if it is.

All commercial transactions are exchanges of risk. I sell you X for $Y today, at which point I have lost the possibility of getting more for it and you have lost the opportunity to buy it for less tomorrow. Obviously, individual buyer and seller motivations can skew the negotiated price in a single transaction significantly from whatever the perfect market price may be in the aggregate, but it is in the nature of negotiations that both parties must have some common ground, some overlap between what one side is willing to sell for and the other is willing to buy for or else the negotiations are doomed from the onset.

If Amazon has figured out how to raise and lower prices "in semi-real time," it strikes me that that is just as good for its customers as it is for itself. As consumers, we're not used to spot prices for, well, for consumables, so I can well imagine the shock and outrage of, say, a supermarket customer upon discovering the can of soup in his cart had just gone up in price two cents from the time he took it from the shelves to the checkout line, but he wouldn't be outraged if it were two cents cheaper. We'll adapt as retail customers just as commodities and other commercial and financial markets learned to adapt to ever increasing real-time information about actual supply and demand.
Mo

Post by Mo »

That's what I meant. This is just an automated version of the guy at the souk eyeballing you, figuring out how much you will spend for them and then charging you what you're willing to pay.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
tr0g

Post by tr0g »

Sears is amusingly bad at this. If I go look at something on their website logged in, they will come back and email me when it's on sale, say, 2 months later.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
Highway

Post by Highway »

tr0g wrote: 02 May 2019, 13:04 Sears is amusingly bad at this. If I go look at something on their website logged in, they will come back and email me when it's on sale, say, 2 months later.
I don't know that that indicates 'bad'. If you didn't buy it before, maybe the reason was that the price was too high. They lower the price, and see if you, an apparently interested shopper, are still looking for the item, and whether the new price is acceptable. Maybe they sell an item that they wouldn't have sold since you didn't come back because when you checked before the price was too high. Seems like it's moving towards that more perfect information on all sides.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote: 02 May 2019, 13:33
tr0g wrote: 02 May 2019, 13:04 Sears is amusingly bad at this. If I go look at something on their website logged in, they will come back and email me when it's on sale, say, 2 months later.
I don't know that that indicates 'bad'. If you didn't buy it before, maybe the reason was that the price was too high. They lower the price, and see if you, an apparently interested shopper, are still looking for the item, and whether the new price is acceptable. Maybe they sell an item that they wouldn't have sold since you didn't come back because when you checked before the price was too high. Seems like it's moving towards that more perfect information on all sides.
The 2 month gap makes it unlikely I'm still shopping for that item. But given a decision to drop the price, I think an email to anyone that looked at it in the past year isn't a bad idea. It's not total spam in so far as I once indicated my interest in it, and if I still am, now it's cheaper.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Amazon thinks I still want a big ticket items after I *make an actual purchase* which is fucked.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Yeah my wife got me a moveable kitchen island for my birthday and now Amazon is pushing them hard on my Facebook ads. Maybe they’re like Pokémon and I’ve gotta catch them all?
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
nicole

Post by nicole »

lunchstealer wrote: 02 May 2019, 18:02 Yeah my wife got me a moveable kitchen island for my birthday and now Amazon is pushing them hard on my Facebook ads. Maybe they’re like Pokémon and I’ve gotta catch them all?
The reason this sort of thing happens is because of one or more of the following:

There’s a delay passing information between the systems that know who bought what and the systems that target (in this case, suppress) people based on whether they bought something;
Those systems don’t talk to each other at all, whether for technical or human reasons;
The suppression or some other aspect of the targeting just isn’t set up properly (for technical or human reasons);
You’re not properly recognized on that device/browser and it’s basing your ad targeting on only a subset of your behavior.

I’m sure there are other reasons as well.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Dangerman wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:54 Amazon thinks I still want a big ticket items after I *make an actual purchase* which is fucked.
download.png
download.png (6.69 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Ellie wrote: 02 May 2019, 18:57
Dangerman wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:54 Amazon thinks I still want a big ticket items after I *make an actual purchase* which is fucked.
download.png
I liked Mo's formulation:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2689&p=413697#p413697
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

lunchstealer wrote: 02 May 2019, 19:03
download.png

Lol credit to MO, I hadn't read through the thread properly.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Two thoughts:

They're rebooting RoboCop yet again? It's only been 5 years.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

lunchstealer wrote: 02 May 2019, 19:03
download.png

YES. OMG that's still my favorite.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD