State of Emergency

Painboy

Re: State of Emergency

Post by Painboy »

Sanity? Congressional self preservation? Even a stab at considering long term consequences?

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/432 ... ation?ampa

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Painboy wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 15:22
Sanity? Congressional self preservation? Even a stab at considering long term consequences?

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/432 ... ation?ampa
The Hill wrote:Republicans in both chambers have criticized the Trump decision as an assault on Congress’s authority that could lead a Democratic president to circumvent lawmakers to take action on climate change or gun control.
Now that Trump has established the precedent, I think "National Emergencies" are the way of the future.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

Aresen wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 16:11
Now that Trump has established the precedent, I think "National Emergencies" are the way of the future.
He didn't really establish the precedent, he just kind of extended it.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31 ... d=60294693
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Caesar was not the first to cross the Rubicon, nor even the second, but each crossing had consequences for Rome.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

If Congress doesn't like the President doing their job, maybe they should try doing it themselves once in a while.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo »

JD wrote:
Aresen wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 16:11
He didn't really establish the precedent, he just kind of extended it.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31 ... d=60294693
Using states of emergency for imposing sanctions, which are an executive branch power, is fundamentally different than using a SoE to bypass Congress’ power of the purse. Just like an executive order to declare equal pay by executive branch employees is different than an executive order to intern people of Japanese descent.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 18:01
If Congress doesn't like the President doing their job, maybe they should try doing it themselves once in a while.
Bazinga!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Trump plans to take another $7 billion away from what Congress appropriated it for and use it to for, all in all, more bricks in The Wall.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/budg ... ntagon-for

I'm sure that some of you can explain to me why I should not fret about the end of separation of powers or checks and balances. So be it. I'm sure this is all fully consistent with the law, for reasons that I would never claim to know.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth Warren promises that on her first day as President she will cancel most student loan debt, and do so without Congress:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... -executive

Yes, there's a purported statutory authorization, and I'll defer to experts on whether that interpretation of the statues is correct, but it seems like, um, a wider use of the statute than any predecessor has claimed.

I'll let you guys figure out whether your "Why is T. worrying? Everything is fine and the Republic and separation of powers are quite healthy!" inclinations should prevail, or if you should go with your libertarian opposition to massive interventions in a financial market.

For me, I fear both the expansion of executive power AND the effects on financial markets.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

thoreau wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 17:38
I'm sure that some of you can explain to me why I should not fret about the end of separation of powers or checks and balances. So be it. I'm sure this is all fully consistent with the law, for reasons that I would never claim to know.
thoreau wrote:
I'll let you guys figure out whether your "Why is T. worrying? Everything is fine and the Republic and separation of powers are quite healthy!" inclinations should prevail, or if you should go with your libertarian opposition to massive interventions in a financial market.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:
Trump plans to take another $7 billion away from what Congress appropriated it for and use it to for, all in all, more bricks in The Wall.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/budg ... ntagon-for

Meanwhile, Elizabeth Warren promises that on her first day as President she will cancel most student loan debt, and do so without Congress:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... -executive

Yes, there's a purported statutory authorization, and I'll defer to experts on whether that interpretation of the statues is correct, but it seems like, um, a wider use of the statute than any predecessor has claimed.

For me, I fear both the expansion of executive power AND the effects on financial markets.
So, both Team Red and Team Blue are into Rule by Decree. The difference is only who benefits.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

This thing is on auto-pilot. The next President will issue more decrees than Trump but still compromise with Congress on something. And when people sue, the President will send lawyers to the courts to make it seem like they're paying attention, and if a decree is struck down they'll find a way to do the same damn thing (or nearly the same damn thing) by some mechanism slightly different from the one struck down by the court, and everyone will say "See, we still have the rule of law!"

But I say that the Rubicon is crossed and the Republic is dead.
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 19:55
This thing is on auto-pilot. The next President will issue more decrees than Trump but still compromise with Congress on something. And when people sue, the President will send lawyers to the courts to make it seem like they're paying attention, and if a decree is struck down they'll find a way to do the same damn thing (or nearly the same damn thing) by some mechanism slightly different from the one struck down by the court, and everyone will say "See, we still have the rule of law!"

You haven't quite had Marius and Sulla yet, but the Senatus consultum ultimum has been passed.

Warren

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote:

Have you considered suicide?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 22:02
thoreau wrote:

Have you considered suicide?
No way. I've seen what brain death does to people.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren »

Homicide then.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Prosecutors resign after Trump intervenes in Roger Stone case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/us/p ... ncing.html
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

thoreau wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 01:07

1. The president directly interfering with a criminal case is bad and not the sort of precedent I want set.

2. With that being said, fuck these guys. They're happy to be the foot soldiers of the drug war, mass incarceration, using ridiculous mandatory minimums to negotiate harsher pleas, and every other bad thing the federal criminal system does (while being paid handsomely to do all those things), but this is the bridge too far? Let me find my tiny violin.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Andrew wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 19:50
thoreau wrote:

1. The president directly interfering with a criminal case is bad and not the sort of precedent I want set.

2. With that being said, fuck these guys. They're happy to be the foot soldiers of the drug war, mass incarceration, using ridiculous mandatory minimums to negotiate harsher pleas, and every other bad thing the federal criminal system does (while being paid handsomely to do all those things), but this is the bridge too far? Let me find my tiny violin.
Team Andrew. (And thanks Andrew for pointing out what I hadn't thought of.)

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The President directly interfering with a criminal case will only make those other things worse, not better, by reinforcing the lines dividing the connected and protected from the common shits that they can fuck with. The president who interfered on behalf of his buddy also encouraged cops to be rough with protesters. He pardoned Arpaio. These prosecutors losing their comfy jobs will not halt any excesses. If anything, this episode is reinforcing that you get ahead by being tuff on criminals who don't wear suits, and deferring to well-connected thugs.
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Not content with merely firing Vindman (and his brother) from their White House jobs, Trump wants him to face "military discipline" (punishment) for speaking truth to Congress.

https://www.ibtimes.com/vindman-may-fac ... ys-2920897
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo »

Andrew wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 19:50
thoreau wrote:

Earlier that same day, Barr excoriated a bunch of "liberal" prosecutors for offering sentences that were too lenient.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex