Antivaxxers

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24916
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Mo » 10 Feb 2019, 09:47

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24569
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Jennifer » 10 Feb 2019, 16:34

One of my hardcore antivaxx Facebook acquaintances posted an utter bullshit article from a website called "Return to now [dot] net," headlined "Measles virus wipes out golf-ball-sized cancer tumor in 36 hours." (She and her friends have made "measles cures cancer so don't vaccinate against it" claims before, BTW.)

So I posted this comment on her Facebook feed in response: "Wow! If this guy actually discovered a safe way to destroy cancer cells that quickly, I'm sure a Nobel prize will be imminent! I can't wait to see these results reproduced in peer-reviewed medical journals."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16229
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 10 Feb 2019, 16:41

Jennifer wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 16:34
One of my hardcore antivaxx Facebook acquaintances posted an utter bullshit article from a website called "Return to now [dot] net," headlined "Measles virus wipes out golf-ball-sized cancer tumor in 36 hours." (She and her friends have made "measles cures cancer so don't vaccinate against it" claims before, BTW.)

So I posted this comment on her Facebook feed in response: "Wow! If this guy actually discovered a safe way to destroy cancer cells that quickly, I'm sure a Nobel prize will be imminent! I can't wait to see these results reproduced in peer-reviewed medical journals."
Wait! I thought Essential Oils® cured cancer. (Or was that homeopathy? Or acupuncture? Crystals?)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28575
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by thoreau » 10 Feb 2019, 21:23

Anti-vaxxers give me a dilemma, because herd immunity is important, but I do like the idea of stupid people doing things that prevent their DNA from propagating. So here's a deal:

You still have to get vaccinated, as do your kids, but...

If you object to vaccinations you get free homeopathic treatment for all non-contagious illnesses that you suffer. The state will pay to align your chakras, heal you with crystals, etc. Have colon cancer? Here are some state-funded herbs. Heart disease? Try this homeopathic stuff!

Additionally, you get unlimited free birth control if you register as a vaccine objector. Unlimited. We'll even do the implantable stuff that lasts a long time, or a vasectomy or tubal ligation if you prefer.

And if you act now, you get an automatic exemption from laws requiring motorcycle helmets, seat belts, etc. You also get a free wilderness expedition where you will be encouraged to go find and cuddle cute baby animals, like mountain lion kittens, wolf pups, and bear cubs.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Solitudinarian
Posts: 382
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:06

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Solitudinarian » 11 Feb 2019, 11:47

thoreau wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 21:23
Anti-vaxxers give me a dilemma, because herd immunity is important, but I do like the idea of stupid people doing things that prevent their DNA from propagating. So here's a deal:

You still have to get vaccinated, as do your kids, but...

If you object to vaccinations you get free homeopathic treatment for all non-contagious illnesses that you suffer. The state will pay to align your chakras, heal you with crystals, etc. Have colon cancer? Here are some state-funded herbs. Heart disease? Try this homeopathic stuff!

Additionally, you get unlimited free birth control if you register as a vaccine objector. Unlimited. We'll even do the implantable stuff that lasts a long time, or a vasectomy or tubal ligation if you prefer.

And if you act now, you get an automatic exemption from laws requiring motorcycle helmets, seat belts, etc. You also get a free wilderness expedition where you will be encouraged to go find and cuddle cute baby animals, like mountain lion kittens, wolf pups, and bear cubs.
I like it. I can get behind that.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16229
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 11 Feb 2019, 15:24

Solitudinarian wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 11:47
thoreau wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 21:23
Anti-vaxxers give me a dilemma, because herd immunity is important, but I do like the idea of stupid people doing things that prevent their DNA from propagating. So here's a deal:

You still have to get vaccinated, as do your kids, but...

If you object to vaccinations you get free homeopathic treatment for all non-contagious illnesses that you suffer. The state will pay to align your chakras, heal you with crystals, etc. Have colon cancer? Here are some state-funded herbs. Heart disease? Try this homeopathic stuff!

Additionally, you get unlimited free birth control if you register as a vaccine objector. Unlimited. We'll even do the implantable stuff that lasts a long time, or a vasectomy or tubal ligation if you prefer.

And if you act now, you get an automatic exemption from laws requiring motorcycle helmets, seat belts, etc. You also get a free wilderness expedition where you will be encouraged to go find and cuddle cute baby animals, like mountain lion kittens, wolf pups, and bear cubs.
I like it. I can get behind that.
I'd go more "you get to swim with the sharks." (As in USS Indianapolis.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18308
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Feb 2019, 16:39

Ohio teen gets himself vaccinated after he comes of age
Ethan Lindenberger from Ohio asked social media site Reddit if he could have vaccines without parental consent.

His mother would not give her permission, he wrote in the post, which had thousands of reactions.

He learned he had to wait until he was 18 - which he did, and has now had five vaccinations so far.

However, he told the BBC his mother still does not agree with his choice, and also apologised for the way he described her online.
Referring to the vaccinations, he said he had never wanted to do anything behind his mother's back, but had become convinced that it was the best choice for him and those around him.

"If I get whooping cough I may be able to handle it because I'm older and I have a good immune system, but who's to say I don't cough on my two-year-old sister?" he asked.

"That's an extremely scary thought."
Also an extremely scary thought: age of consent laws that prohibit sensible people from seeking common medical treatments without their parents approval.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24916
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Mo » 11 Feb 2019, 16:48

I’m including this here because it sorta fits. Just keep in mind, this dude has more influence over the president than basically anyone not in his family.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/fox-fr ... -cant-see/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24569
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Jennifer » 11 Feb 2019, 16:50

“Germs are not a real thing. I can’t see them. Therefore, they’re not real.”
Said the man who nonetheless believes in a god.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16229
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 11 Feb 2019, 16:51

Mo wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 16:48
I’m including this here because it sorta fits. Just keep in mind, this dude has more influence over the president than basically anyone not in his family.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/fox-fr ... -cant-see/
Tetanus or cholera are two of the nastiest ways to go.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14058
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Kolohe » 11 Feb 2019, 18:35

Though Trump had a reputation as a germaphobe (not sure how true that is, after the past few years)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 302
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Tuco » 12 Feb 2019, 07:14

Mo wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 16:48
I’m including this here because it sorta fits. Just keep in mind, this dude has more influence over the president than basically anyone not in his family.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/fox-fr ... -cant-see/
Shock jock!

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24916
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Mo » 13 Feb 2019, 11:35

Bill Shine's wife is sharing the bonkers measles-cancer cure conspiracy theory.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16229
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 13 Feb 2019, 12:05

Mo wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 11:35
Bill Shine's wife is sharing the bonkers measles-cancer cure conspiracy theory.
I think I posted this before, but here's the debunk.
Cancer Research UK wrote:Media outlets, both traditional and social, are awash with the news that researchers in the US have apparently cured cancer with the measles virus – for example, the Washington Post, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, Daily Telegraph and (with a much more measured headline) Reuters.

But while the story is dramatic – a 49-year old US woman’s myeloma blood cancer seems to have completely disappeared following treatment – the actual science is a lot more complex than simply injecting her with an armful of measles. A number of the stories implied that the woman had been treated with an extremely high dose of the regular measles vaccine, but we need to be absolutely clear here:

This treatment did not involve a standard measles vaccine or virus – the researchers used a genetically modified virus, and there’s no evidence that the regular measles or MMR jab can cure, prevent or cause any type of cancer.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24450
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2019, 12:14

I want everyone who shares that shit approvingly to get measles. Full Romani old lady curse.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16229
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 20 Feb 2019, 23:09

More than 130 dead in measles outbreak blamed on Philippine anti-vax movement

This is slightly complicated because of a problem with the manufacturer:
The article wrote:However, in 2017, the drug’s French manufacturer, Sanofi, released new data that showed children who had never had the virus were more likely to be hospitalised by the disease if they contracted it after the vaccine.
However, this appears to be inaccurate because the problem was actually with a vaccine for dengue:
The suspension of a dengue vaccine programme in the Philippines has caused trust in vaccinations to dramatically drop across the island nation, a study has found.

In 2015, over 80 per cent of people in the Philipines strongly agreed that vaccines were safe and effective. The latest polling, published in Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, found that just 20 per cent of people agreed in 2018.

“We were surprised by how dramatic the drop was,” said Professor Heidi Larson, director of the Vaccine Confidence Project at the London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. “The whole political saga has spilled over to question vaccines and science more broadly.”

The Philipines has a high incidence of dengue and, in 2016, it became one of the first countries to launch a mass vaccination of children using the drug Dengvazia, made by the French drugs giant Sanofi.

However, in November 2017, Sanofi released new data which showed that the vaccine - while protective for children who had previously been exposed to the virus - increased the long term risk of hospitalisation in those who had not.

By this point, the vaccine had been given to more than 800,000 schoolchildren - and 14 had died from the mosquito-borne disease, sparking a national scandal including accusations of "mass murder and plunder".
tl:dr: Sanofi produced a vaccine for dengue which, while effective, made it more likely that someone who contracted the disease after being vaccinated would be hospitalized. This caused trust in vaccines to plummet, leading to more people refusing vaccinations and the current measles outbreak in the Philipines, which has 8400 cases and 130 deaths.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24916
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Mo » 21 Feb 2019, 05:03

Aresen wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 23:09
tl:dr: Sanofi produced a vaccine for dengue which, while effective, made it more likely that someone who contracted the disease after being vaccinated would be hospitalized. This caused trust in vaccines to plummet, leading to more people refusing vaccinations and the current measles outbreak in the Philipines, which has 8400 cases and 130 deaths.
This and the moronic OBL fake vaccine thing causing rational doubts about vaccines is more insidious than the crazy anti-vaxxer stuff.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16229
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 22 Feb 2019, 00:43

So I had an argument with my 'Homeopathic Practitioner' friend this evening who is, surprise, surprise, an anti-vaxxer.

The 130 people who died in the Philippines 'died of pneumonia and meningitis.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3131
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Number 6 » 22 Feb 2019, 13:07

Aresen wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 00:43
So I had an argument with my 'Homeopathic Practitioner' friend this evening who is, surprise, surprise, an anti-vaxxer.

The 130 people who died in the Philippines 'died of pneumonia and meningitis.'
Both of which there are vaccines for.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17630
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Feb 2019, 14:09

Number 6 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 13:07
Aresen wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 00:43
So I had an argument with my 'Homeopathic Practitioner' friend this evening who is, surprise, surprise, an anti-vaxxer.

The 130 people who died in the Philippines 'died of pneumonia and meningitis.'
Both of which there are vaccines for.
And, if I understand correctly, both are more dangerous in people who've had measles because of the damage measles does to your immune system.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7752
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Shem » 22 Feb 2019, 18:01

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 14:09
Number 6 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 13:07
Aresen wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 00:43
So I had an argument with my 'Homeopathic Practitioner' friend this evening who is, surprise, surprise, an anti-vaxxer.

The 130 people who died in the Philippines 'died of pneumonia and meningitis.'
Both of which there are vaccines for.
And, if I understand correctly, both are more dangerous in people who've had measles because of the damage measles does to your immune system.
They're both possible direct side effects of measles.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24916
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Antivaxxers

Post by Mo » 22 Feb 2019, 18:45

Number 6 wrote:
Aresen wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 00:43
So I had an argument with my 'Homeopathic Practitioner' friend this evening who is, surprise, surprise, an anti-vaxxer.

The 130 people who died in the Philippines 'died of pneumonia and meningitis.'
Both of which there are vaccines for.
?
There is no vaccine for pneumonia or meningitis. Since there is no single virus that causes either. But yeah, per Shem and lunchstealer measles make you vulnerable to both.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17630
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Feb 2019, 18:47

There is a vaccine for pneumococcal pneumonia that keeps getting advertised over the muzak network at the King Soopers and Safeway.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7752
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Shem » 22 Feb 2019, 19:55

There's also a vaccine for meningitis B, which every teenager should have before they go live in petri dorms.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3131
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Number 6 » 22 Feb 2019, 21:04

What Lunch and Shem said. Neither vaccine is effective against all variants of the respective diseases, but they are available.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests