Antivaxxers

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24682
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Jennifer » 16 Sep 2019, 19:08

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 19:03
Jennifer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 19:00
Huh, I saw it just fine. Although when I double-checked just now, I see she had the picture set to "friends only." So I went ahead and deleted my link.
Weird; that original image shows up for me, and it even comes up in incognito. Who knows, with Facebook...
Even more weirdly: since I edited my original post to remove the photo and direct people to look at Lunchstealer's, of course I cannot see the picture in my post --- but I DO still see it where Lunchstealer quoted the post, before I went back and edited out the picture.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17730
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Sep 2019, 19:31

Jennifer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 19:00
lunchstealer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:54

The linked image won't render outside of facebook,
Huh, I saw it just fine. Although when I double-checked just now, I see she had the picture set to "friends only." So I went ahead and deleted my link. Thanks for posting it.

Except, you're not "friends" with her, and you saw it? I wonder if it's something like, it's visible to her FB "friends," and also mine since I posted that comment?
Coulda been a Firefox thing. It's got this 'fence' thing that blocks facebook stuff from loading on other pages to reduce tracking. Probably the culprit.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16321
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 16 Sep 2019, 19:37

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:54
Jennifer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:46
Seen on Facebook:
Just looking up vaccine schedules, I'm pretty sure that kid has more needles going into his right arm than actual injections and boosters that kids are supposed to get up, at least up to age 6.
Here is the link to the CDC list. I counted maximum 64 vaccinations recommended until the age of 18 (Including 2x/yr influenza until age 10 and 1/yr thereafter).

By my count, the poster child has 78 needles stuck in his right arm.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27873
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2019, 19:40

lunchstealer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 19:31
Jennifer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 19:00
lunchstealer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:54

The linked image won't render outside of facebook,
Huh, I saw it just fine. Although when I double-checked just now, I see she had the picture set to "friends only." So I went ahead and deleted my link. Thanks for posting it.

Except, you're not "friends" with her, and you saw it? I wonder if it's something like, it's visible to her FB "friends," and also mine since I posted that comment?
Coulda been a Firefox thing. It's got this 'fence' thing that blocks facebook stuff from loading on other pages to reduce tracking. Probably the culprit.
It renders for me on FF
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24682
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Jennifer » 16 Sep 2019, 20:13

Thanks Aresen! I went ahead and stole that, adding the following comment to the Facebook post:

Also, after double-checking the CDC's list of recommended vaccinations -- this photo is SEVERELY exaggerating the number! The *maximum* number of vaccines the CDC recommends for the first 18 years of a child's life is 64 --looks like the kid has more needles than that in just ONE arm. [link]
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16321
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 16 Sep 2019, 20:42

Incidentally, there is one vaccine that boomers got that millennials and children nowadays do not get.

Any guesses what it is?

If you know what it is, you probably know why only a few people get it now.

Answer: Smallpox. We wiped it out by a world wide vaccination campaign.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17730
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Sep 2019, 20:45

Do Americans get the polio vaccine these days?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24565
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by JasonL » 16 Sep 2019, 21:27

lunchstealer wrote:Do Americans get the polio vaccine these days?
Yes.

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8072
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Pham Nuwen » 16 Sep 2019, 22:03

lunchstealer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 20:45
Do Americans get the polio vaccine these days?
Yes
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14028
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Sep 2019, 22:34

Aresen wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 19:37
Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:54
Jennifer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:46
Seen on Facebook:
Just looking up vaccine schedules, I'm pretty sure that kid has more needles going into his right arm than actual injections and boosters that kids are supposed to get up, at least up to age 6.
Here is the link to the CDC list. I counted maximum 64 vaccinations recommended until the age of 18 (Including 2x/yr influenza until age 10 and 1/yr thereafter).

By my count, the poster child has 78 needles stuck in his right arm.
Nice work! My eyes glazed over counting syringes after I counted more than the early childhood schedule I found.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16321
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 04 Oct 2019, 14:28

One who recanted:

I was an anti-vaxxer and my children were the ones who suffered

This week, Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced he is seriously looking into legislation that would make vaccinations compulsory. He will likely face vocal backlash from a loud minority of citizens who have fallen into the anti-vaccine vortex of unreality.

I know, because I used to be one of them. When I first made the decision not to vaccinate my children, I didn’t think my choice had the potential to impact anyone beyond my own household. I also didn’t consider myself to be ‘against’ the concept of vaccination. I was aware of the suggestion that vaccination can cause autism (this has now been totally discredited) and knew that no medicine was without risk but my choice was still fraught with doubts and second guessing.

In the end I suffered from what I call ‘analysis paralysis’. I chose the route of inaction, of taking on the passive risk of not vaccinating. The message of the anti-vaxxer movement is wrong but it can be seductive, and anyone who has the slightest doubt can quickly be sucked into these communities. I started to read online accounts from parents, usually a mother, claiming her child was damaged by vaccines. Other anti-vaxxers offered sympathy and reinforcement and because the child had autism, or another potentially devastating condition, these mothers were beyond reproach. No one dared question their story or asked for evidence.

I was dabbling in what I now see as ‘conspiracy mindedness’. I felt that there were simply too many stories out there of children who were never the same after a round of vaccines. Even proven science like herd or community immunity – where immuno-compromised people are protected by the immunity of the people around them – is perceived as the stuff of myth for anti-vaxxers, concocted by doctors and Big Pharma to guilt people into vaccinating.

These stories circulate and spark fear in the hearts of parents like me – parents who only wanted to do the best, and safest, thing for our children. Because while it may sound contrary, my first instinct was to protect my babies.

Eventually, reality corrected my mistaken belief. In the early spring of 2015, all the members of my family, including my three young daughters, contracted rotavirus. Rotavirus is not a garden variety stomach bug – it can cause extreme dehydration and is a leading killer of infants worldwide. Through some unknown route, we had been in contact with someone who was contagious, and it spread to everyone in our family, including my mother who only babysat for a couple of hours in the days prior to us getting sick.

While I had never been totally secure in my decision not to vaccinate, our experience with rotavirus, plus the Disneyland measles outbreak earlier that winter, convinced me that I had made the wrong decision, and that wrong decision came at the expense of my children.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24682
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Jennifer » 04 Oct 2019, 14:36

She has more honesty and self-awareness than most anti-vaxxers, unfortunately.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b


User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24682
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Jennifer » 13 Nov 2019, 14:49

[Shudder] Dear Zod, that's the worst case of chicken pox I've ever seen. Mine was pretty bad since I got it on the cusp of adolescence (age 12.5), but compared to that poor baby I barely had it at all. None of my pox marks were anywhere near the size of that baby's. And she'll have far more and worse scars than the lone little depression on my forehead, too.

That poor, poor baby. If justice were possible in the universe, anti-vaxxers would have their own childhood vaccinations reversed and leave the rest of humanity alone.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19215
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Nov 2019, 14:58

Strong proponent of vaccination though I am, I don't believe infants under the age of 15 months can receive chicken pox vaccinations and that best practices are keeping infants away from possibly infected people. Bear in mind that we didn't even have a chicken pox vaccine until fairly recently.

My wife intentionally exposed our older son to chicken pox when we were living in Germany having forgotten that I had never had chicken pox, I contracted it from my son and ended up in an intensive care ward.

FWIW, it is rare and was rare back in the day for an infant to contract so serious a case of Chicken Pox. It's sad and my sympathies go out to that infant who I hope makes a full recovery, but I'm not fond of using worst case photos to make these sorts of arguments.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16321
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 13 Nov 2019, 15:14

We're talking about people who hold measles parties to deliberately expose their children to diseases. This is not going to change their minds any more than that family in Oregon who spent $811,000 treating their child for tetanus that nearly killed him changed their minds and got vaccinated.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17730
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Nov 2019, 14:08

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 14:58
Strong proponent of vaccination though I am, I don't believe infants under the age of 15 months can receive chicken pox vaccinations and that best practices are keeping infants away from possibly infected people. Bear in mind that we didn't even have a chicken pox vaccine until fairly recently.

My wife intentionally exposed our older son to chicken pox when we were living in Germany having forgotten that I had never had chicken pox, I contracted it from my son and ended up in an intensive care ward.

FWIW, it is rare and was rare back in the day for an infant to contract so serious a case of Chicken Pox. It's sad and my sympathies go out to that infant who I hope makes a full recovery, but I'm not fond of using worst case photos to make these sorts of arguments.
You may be correct that the infant wouldn't have been vaccinated in a normal household, but in many households where infants and toddlers contract serious illnesses, they typically contract it from unvaccinated siblings or other unvaccinated family members or caretakers.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19215
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 Nov 2019, 15:36

lunchstealer wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 14:08
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 14:58
Strong proponent of vaccination though I am, I don't believe infants under the age of 15 months can receive chicken pox vaccinations and that best practices are keeping infants away from possibly infected people. Bear in mind that we didn't even have a chicken pox vaccine until fairly recently.

My wife intentionally exposed our older son to chicken pox when we were living in Germany having forgotten that I had never had chicken pox, I contracted it from my son and ended up in an intensive care ward.

FWIW, it is rare and was rare back in the day for an infant to contract so serious a case of Chicken Pox. It's sad and my sympathies go out to that infant who I hope makes a full recovery, but I'm not fond of using worst case photos to make these sorts of arguments.
You may be correct that the infant wouldn't have been vaccinated in a normal household, but in many households where infants and toddlers contract serious illnesses, they typically contract it from unvaccinated siblings or other unvaccinated family members or caretakers.
Fair point.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16321
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Aresen » 19 Nov 2019, 18:42

I did my bit and got a flu shot this afternoon.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11381
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by JD » 03 Dec 2019, 10:59

Samoan Government To Close Its Offices Amid Measles Crisis That Has Left 53 Dead

But hey, at least they didn't suffer any side effects of vaccines. (Apparently two infants died last year because of improperly prepared vaccines, so vaccinations rates crashed. Now 53 people are dead instead.)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18337
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by dbcooper » 03 Dec 2019, 12:19

JD wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 10:59
Samoan Government To Close Its Offices Amid Measles Crisis That Has Left 53 Dead

But hey, at least they didn't suffer any side effects of vaccines. (Apparently two infants died last year because of improperly prepared vaccines, so vaccinations rates crashed. Now 53 people are dead instead.)
There's probably some upper-middle class NZ anti-vax women with blood on their hands over this (NZ has a big influence over Samoa). Appalling.

There are some bad clusters in Auckland to the degree that my sister got whooping cough last year, due to the low vax rate where her daughter goes to school (nice upper middle class area).
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16145
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by dhex » 05 Dec 2019, 22:03

Don't forget that sniveling cunt Kennedy
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14028
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Antivaxxers

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Dec 2019, 22:55

dhex wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 22:03
Don't forget that sniveling cunt Kennedy
Man, did any of old Joe's sons and grandsons turn out alright, besides maybe JFK, Jr.?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Post Reply
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests