Vote or Die

Aresen

Re: Vote or Die

Post by Aresen » 29 Oct 2018, 22:16

Ellie wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 22:00
Seen on Facebook:
And I’m sure everyone who voted Trump, third party, or didn’t vote is doing mental gymnastics right now to convince themselves that today’s murder at a synagogue is not their fault. I want to be clear: IT IS YOUR FAULT.
OH MY GOD FUCK OFF. I can assure you -- never mind the fact that my state went for Hillary ANYWAY -- that my vote for Gary Johnson did nothing to embolden the racist pricks of this land. Frankly I'm not sure it did anything at all, but certainly not harm. PLEASE STAHP.
I would be very tempted to go full alt-right on any person who posted that and blame them for 9/11, Orlando, Fort Hood, etc.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Oct 2018, 23:36

Ellie,
I'm directing this advise to you because of your immediate need, but I am HIGHLY recommending it to everyone.
Back away from the Facebook.
Please.
Just close the tab/app, and look away.
Not completely. Not forever. But at least until you can go between meals without thinking about politics.

Social media is infecting people and making them crazy. If you're posting on social media every day, you're going crazy if you're not already.

I assure you. The world. Your life. It's all still there. You can focus on other things. Don't you remember when you could feel joy?
You can again.

Peace
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 30 Oct 2018, 01:05

Facebook is great. I can see when my friends are throwing parties, and I can instant message them.

I hear they have this "news feed" feature. Should I check it out at some point?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 30 Oct 2018, 09:12

Warren wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 23:36
Ellie,
I'm directing this advise to you because of your immediate need, but I am HIGHLY recommending it to everyone.
Please.
Not completely. Not forever. But at least until you can go between meals without thinking about politics.

Social media is infecting people and making them crazy. If you're posting on social media every day, you're going crazy if you're not already.

I assure you. The world. Your life. It's all still there. You can focus on other things. Don't you remember when you could feel joy?
You can again.

Peace
What office are you running for? You have my vote!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2018, 09:49

Pham Nuwen wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 09:12
What office are you running for? You have my vote!
Chancellor of the Exchequer in the Shempire. Your vote is irrelevant, but I may need you to provide an alibi.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Oct 2018, 09:55

Warren wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 23:36
Ellie,
Please.

You can again.

Peace
You know grylliade is social media, right?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2018, 10:18

nicole wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 09:55
I'm worried about The Grylliade. Much madness is proliferating here. I believe the infection is being transmitted via FB and Titter. I am promoting voluntary, self imposed, quarantine.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Oct 2018, 11:03

Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 17:27
Still, I wish that the Democrats weren't quite so eager to embrace the voters who don't have their shit together.
There's a simple explanation for this: those people, more often than not, vote Blue.

(Or, perhaps, more precisely, those people, whose cases get championed, more often than not vote Blue.)

If this were untrue, you wouldn't see Team Blue championing these people. You'd see Team Blue mocking them and trying to keep their votes out of the counts.
This is what I meant up thread by there being a nugget of truth in the stories teams tell themselves.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Oct 2018, 11:29

Jadagul wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 01:05
"For the love of God, Montresor Jadagul!"
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 30 Oct 2018, 11:49

Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 10:18
nicole wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 09:55
I'm worried about The Grylliade. Much madness is proliferating here. I believe the infection is being transmitted via FB and Titter. I am promoting voluntary, self imposed, quarantine.
28 Grylls later? I love that movie!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Oct 2018, 11:55

Every time I read this thread title, I imagine a swarm of bees chasing you until you make it into a voting booth.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Oct 2018, 12:23

JasonL wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 17:27
Still, I wish that the Democrats weren't quite so eager to embrace the voters who don't have their shit together.
There's a simple explanation for this: those people, more often than not, vote Blue.

(Or, perhaps, more precisely, those people, whose cases get championed, more often than not vote Blue.)

If this were untrue, you wouldn't see Team Blue championing these people. You'd see Team Blue mocking them and trying to keep their votes out of the counts.
This is what I meant up thread by there being a nugget of truth in the stories teams tell themselves.
Yeah, but the party of "I, like, forgot, you know, to, like, check where my ID is" runs a tighter ship than the Party of Personal Responsibility. Strangely.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Oct 2018, 12:27

Mo wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 11:55
Every time I read this thread title, I imagine a swarm of bees chasing you until you make it into a voting booth.
Every time I read it, I get mad about how voters are also going to die.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Oct 2018, 14:15

"Every man dies, but only voters truly live!" Or some shit.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 30 Oct 2018, 15:28

Aresen wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 11:29
Jadagul wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 01:05
"For the love of God, Montresor Jadagul!"
Have I told y'all my story about the day they introduced the News Feed, and how it traumatized one of my friends?

JD

Post by JD » 30 Oct 2018, 17:13

Mo wrote:
I seem to remember that some years ago, the Onion had a headline saying "P. Diddy Begins Killing People Who Didn't Vote", but I can't find any evidence of it now.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Oct 2018, 17:16

JD wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 17:13
Mo wrote:
I seem to remember that some years ago, the Onion had a headline saying "P. Diddy Begins Killing People Who Didn't Vote", but I can't find any evidence of it now.
This is as close as I can find:
Remember to vote, or P. Diddy will kill you.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Oct 2018, 17:27

The thread title kinda makes me imagine Australian gone all Purge against non-voters, what with Aussies online tending to be mega-sanctimonious about how mandatory voting is the only possible rational choice for a liberal democracy. These are the same people who go all disdainful about how the US is the only western democracy that does X, Y, or Z, but the moment you point out that they and Belgium are the only Western democracies with such a requirement, they go back on how it's the best possible law EVAR.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Oct 2018, 17:56

Eric the .5b wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 17:27
The thread title kinda makes me imagine Australian gone all Purge against non-voters, what with Aussies online tending to be mega-sanctimonious about how mandatory voting is the only possible rational choice for a liberal democracy. These are the same people who go all disdainful about how the US is the only western democracy that does X, Y, or Z, but the moment you point out that they and Belgium are the only Western democracies with such a requirement, they go back on how it's the best possible law EVAR.
It's usually somewhere around that point in the conversation I remind my Aussie friend that Americans care less about his country than it does about Canada, which is almost not humanly possible. Also, that Australia is essentially a military vassal state and a perfect location, should the need arise to start above ground nuclear testing again.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Oct 2018, 18:30

There was also apparently an article the now-defunct parody site The Rap Insider: "P. Diddy Dead, Final Words: 'I Did Not Vote'"
NEW YORK – Sean Combs AKA Puff Daddy AKA Diddy AKA P Diddy AKA P Doody AKA Ciroc Obama is dead. He was 43.
Combs was the founder of Citizen Change, a nonprofit that sought to mobilize young voters with its “Vote or Die” campaign. He is survived by 43 million bottles of Ciroc Vodka and three Sean John sweaters.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Oct 2018, 19:13

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 17:56
Eric the .5b wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 17:27
It's usually somewhere around that point in the conversation I remind my Aussie friend that Americans care less about his country than it does about Canada,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jake

Post by Jake » 31 Oct 2018, 15:16

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 14:09
Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game.
I'm late to the thread, but... sigged!
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Nov 2018, 11:26

I've taken to darkly imagining how many friends I'd lose if I posted an announcement that I'm not voting on Tuesday. It would definitely be a nonzero number.

As it is, I'm only going to vote for the libertarian candidate for governor and then leave. Partially as a juvenile knee-jerk reaction against all this "vote or die" shit.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Nov 2018, 11:59

Ellie wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 11:26
I've taken to darkly imagining how many friends I'd lose if I posted an announcement that I'm not voting on Tuesday. It would definitely be a nonzero number.
You say that like it's not a feature you are praising The Market for providing.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Nov 2018, 12:18

I'm a lonely weirdo as it is -- I can't afford to slough off friends willy-nilly! :lol: