Vote or Die

Pham Nuwen

Re: Vote or Die

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Nov 2018, 21:15

Yeah. The dad. I guess that kind of makes the cringe a lot more understandable at least.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 21:43

Ellie wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 21:13
Pham Nuwen wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 20:54
So ... what was his logic exactly? I am [insert name] and you are beneath me?
Whose logic? The refugee dad? Yeah, pretty much. I shouldn't have to work because blah blah, none of these jobs are good enough because blah blah, I'm the man of the family, blah blah asshole blah blah.
*Headdesk* I know that in certain cultures, men really are raised with the idea that such entitled assholery is right and proper, but FFS, if your culture and country are such that you have to become a no-joke refugee , you'd THINK that would be enough to shake off at least SOME of your complacency. Such as, the many refugees who fled various horrors in 20th-century Europe -- back home they were often doctors and lawyers and scientists, but upon fleeing to England or America or wherever they (at least at first) got factory or manual-labor-type jobs which were indeed "beneath them," professionally speaking.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Nov 2018, 21:45

Kwix wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 20:53
Aresen wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 16:00
Andrew wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 14:15
I am excited for Tuesday. I can't wait for all the ads to stop and the signs to come down. And then the start of the endless bitching from coworkers about whichever clown they selected to rule over us.
I have a FB friend who is an American ex-pat. She is definitely an example of TDS (a nice person otherwise), so her FB posts are just one anti-Trump rant after another. Whichever way the vote goes, it will probably be January before I can have a normal conversation with her again.
I wonder if this is my friend as well. Has yours resided outside of the country for over a decade, has no desire to return, and yet dutifully votes absentee every election?
She has lived on Vancouver Island for over a decade. I know her through the horse clubs we both belong to. She does vote in every US election, though.

According to wikipedia, there are 900,000 to 2,000,000 US expats in Canada.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Nov 2018, 22:29

Ellie wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 11:04
Even the frickin' sermon at the church where I work was all about voting yesterday. Not a mention or a tie-in or anything, just literally ten minutes on why you should get out there and vote. Because white, upper-middle-class Episcopalians are the demographic most in need of being sold on this point in the first place? BARFFFFFFFFFFFFF
The rector of the Episcopal parish we attended in Arlington once exhorted the congregation to go out and vote and was then at least mildly embarrassed when my wife told him after the service that the "election" in question was the Democratic primary.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 06 Nov 2018, 02:47

Aresen wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 21:45
She has lived on Vancouver Island for over a decade. I know her through the horse clubs we both belong to. She does vote in every US election, though.
Ah. Mine is in western Ireland (Kiltimagh), married to an Irish bloke and aside from the rampant Catholicism and old fashioned medical practices is all in on the Emerald Isle's destiny. Doesn't stop her from voting absentee in Ohio every election. Sadly she lost her fucking mind when the tangerine took office.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Nov 2018, 12:53

Looks like the right found people exercising their 2nd amendment rights that they don’t like. I wonder why those guys in Georgia doing open carry are so scary?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Nov 2018, 13:15

Mo wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 12:53
Looks like the right found people exercising their 2nd amendment rights that they don’t like. I wonder why those guys in Georgia doing open carry are so scary?
Link?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Nov 2018, 13:35

Yeah Google News is not helping me with that one.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Nov 2018, 13:58

Are they PoCs and thus losing all NRA support?

Though, naturally, non-batshit gun rights folks outside libertarian circles cringe at open carry, anyway...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Nov 2018, 14:11

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 13:58
Are they PoCs and thus losing all NRA support?

Though, naturally, non-batshit gun rights folks outside libertarian circles cringe at open carry, anyway...
Also non-batshit gun rights folks inside libertarian circles cringe at most of the idiots engaging in open carry.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Nov 2018, 14:39

It's pretty much all non-batshit people in total cringe at open carry idiots.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Nov 2018, 15:31

The only place I'd consider open carry as acceptable is in/on public parks, hiking trails, etc. Mainly because if you are hiking, you might be humping some gear, and concealed carry at that point just seems dumb. Also the fact that if you're carrying because of wildlife, you're generally going to want a medium or large frame pistol or revolver in a hefty caliber, and concealing those will only be more difficult with your gear.

If you're doing it on private land, I'd hope you've gotten permission from the owner, and who gives a fuck what anyone else has to say after that.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Nov 2018, 15:34

By way of clarity, I'm basically with Jasper.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Nov 2018, 15:39

Team jasper also. In general it’s awful confrontational and douchey

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Nov 2018, 16:22

thoreau wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 13:15
Mo wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 12:53
Link?
I'm guessing Mo is talking about the Black Panthers, carrying weapons and pro-Abrams signs at the same time.

https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politic ... 7cqd8xNxN/
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Nov 2018, 16:28

More blatant voter suppression acts from Brian Kemp: electronic voting machines in majority-black districts were sent to precincts without the fucking POWER CORDS.

And another Georgian reporting on Twitter:

Here in GA, where kemp wouldn’t step down, not a single machine in our precinct works. No one has voted since 7am. Hundreds of ppl have left

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Nov 2018, 16:47

I mean, things happen, but Brian Kemp has just completely trashed any benefit of the doubt you could possibly give him. It makes me start to wonder if an election can be thrown out entirely and a new one ordered.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Nov 2018, 16:48

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Nov 2018, 16:52

This is about the freak out about the black panthers in GA supporting Abrams while holding guns. While Kemp was all “Woo 2A,” when it’s rednecks on pickup trucks doing the same.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Nov 2018, 18:30

I voted today; two libertarians on the ballot plus a surprising number of candidates from the Legalize Marijuana Now party whom I was perfectly happy to vote for. Also cheerfully voted against a property tax increase (for the children!!!!!!!) and any incumbent judges just because why not.

I will confess that I got a bit verklempt during the whole process. I think our system is crappy, third parties are screwed over, politicians are almost always shitheads ... but I still believe in democracy and voting and all that nonsense, I guess. Heh. I just felt honored to participate. (Then I came home and read my Facebook feed and it cured me of all these positive feelings about voting.)

The one nice thing about voting third-party is that I can go to bed early without feeling any pressure to stay up for the returns and see if my guy won :lol:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Nov 2018, 19:05

I live in a blood red county of a cherry red state. Most of my ballot consisted of Republicans running unopposed. I voted for three Libertarians and over half a dozen write-ins for NOTA. There were three ballot initiatives for legalizing med pot. I voted for the two that gave the tax revenue to veterans and against the one that gave it to curing cancer. I voted against raising the min wage and against raising the fuel tax.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Nov 2018, 19:08

Highway wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 16:47
I mean, things happen, but Brian Kemp has just completely trashed any benefit of the doubt you could possibly give him.
ESPECIALLY since these farkups only ever seem to happen in Georgia's majority-minority districts; in the majority-white districts, everything's working just fine.

Apparently, at least one polling place in super-populated Fulton County (much of the city of Atlanta is in there) "accidentally" got only THREE voting machines delivered at first. Elsewhere throughout the state, polling places in black districts are seeing lines as long as eight or nine HOURS to cast a vote, compared to the quickie eight-to-ten MINUTE waits in white districts. (Concern over such a possibility is a major reason why I suggested to Jeff that we cast our ballots as soon as early voting started.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Nov 2018, 19:14

An eleventh-hour lawsuit has been filed, seeking to prevent that sleazebag of a Brian Kemp from being the one to count the votes in his own election.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 06 Nov 2018, 20:00

Normally I would vote Libertarian in usually decided Senate race, especially since Murray Sabin is running and he was for legalizing weed way before it was cool, has been hopelessly running for office for many years, and 19,000 years old. But I really don't want Bob Menendez to lose his seat to Bob Hugin. Menendez is your regular run of the mill kind of scummy politician. Hugin is a gross, anti choice, kill the gayz and the drug users and the abortionists guy. So since the race is actually close, I did an actual lesser of two evils vote.

There was a Libertarian running for the House seat too, but he was up against Josh Gottheimer, the nice Jewish boy running for re-election. I wasn't sorry to vote for him.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Nov 2018, 20:28

At least that bigoted wretch of a Kim Davis lost her bid for re-election: