Vote or Die

tr0g

Re: Vote or Die

Post by tr0g » 07 Nov 2018, 11:33

as far as Texas goes, I don't understand why white women voting for the Hispanic guy is bad, but okay. Conversely, I don't see why black women propping up the white male patriarchy is good, but whatevs.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Nov 2018, 11:59

Ellie wrote:
Ellie wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 10:42
I guess I'll find out when I check Facebook and see how much wailing and gnashing of teeth is on my feed.
Apparently racism still ruined everything:

We [white women] have let our country down (again) and we owe the rest of our citizens our hard work, our amends, our reparations, and our better behavior.
You white women are the worst, Ellie. You need some enlightened men to tell you what to do.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 07 Nov 2018, 12:06

thoreau wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 11:59
Ellie wrote:
Ellie wrote:
I guess I'll find out when I check Facebook and see how much wailing and gnashing of teeth is on my feed.

We [white women] have let our country down (again) and we owe the rest of our citizens our hard work, our amends, our reparations, and our better behavior.
You white women are the worst, Ellie. You need some enlightened men to tell you what to do.
Yeah! A good chase and sanborn'ing is in order!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Vote or Die

Post by JasonL » 07 Nov 2018, 12:21

Ellie wrote:
Ellie wrote:

People write shit like that then can’t figure out why everyone outside their sphere would rather self immolate than be associated

JD

Post by JD » 07 Nov 2018, 12:47

I voted for a Libertarian where there was one on the ballot, and generally left things blank otherwise. I voted for one Reform Party candidate because I knew there was no way in hell he was going to win, and I would like to help keep third parties on the ballot. On our ballot measures, which I voted No, Yes, No, and all three ended up passing, because NYC. The three were basically "limit private contributions and increase public funding of campaigns"; "create a Civic Engagement Commission that would centralize civic engagement initiatives, create a citywide participatory budgeting program, assist community boards, and provide language interpreters throughout the city on Election Day"; and "increase oversight of community boards".
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Nov 2018, 13:51

JasonL wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Ellie wrote:

People write shit like that then can’t figure out why everyone outside their sphere would rather self immolate than be associated
Last edited by thoreau on 07 Nov 2018, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Nov 2018, 13:52

Jfc

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Nov 2018, 13:58

JasonL wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 13:52
Jfc
I'm telling myself that it's parody making fun of the people who act like national popular vote totals matter.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Nov 2018, 14:15

Pretty sure it's parody. The handle "Comfortably Smug" strongly suggests self-awareness.
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Nov 2018, 14:22

Yeah, he's a conservative troll. Best known for sending out a bunch of fake tweets about emergency conditions (flooding , subways shudowns, power shutdowns, etc.) in NYC in the midst of Sandy.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2018, 16:20

I'm amused at the numbnuts who keep griping about how Blues cast more total votes for the Senate than Reds, but they aren't being given the majority of states' Senators, and in fact lost seats.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Nov 2018, 16:32

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 16:20
I'm amused at the numbnuts who keep griping about how Blues cast more total votes for the Senate than Reds, but they aren't being given the majority of states' Senators, and in fact lost seats.
I suppose it would be rude to point out to them that the D's won more than 2/3 the seats up for grabs.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Nov 2018, 17:07

Their complaint is more valid in the House. Not so much because of any one outcome, but because of historical data and simulations showing that they have to win a lot more votes to get a House majority than the GOP needs to keep a majority.

But, yeah, in the Senate the complaint makes no sense. I'm not a huge fan of the Senate, but the Senate is what it is and can't really be any other way:
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.
The only way to change that is with a complete, clean start, and the country that elected Trump has no business holding a Constitutional Convention.
--Shem

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Nov 2018, 20:06

The Senate complaints in their best form make one very accurate and good point: performing well in the Senate does not represent any sort of popular mandate.

Trump keeps saying things like an overwhelming majority of voters supported him. This is false. He is going to say that the Republican Senate results demonstrate that most people are behind him. That is also false.

I get that the Senate, quite deliberately, isn't supposed to be representative of the popular will. But that makes it really fucking stupid to use Senate results as a proxy for the popular will, even if you believe the popular will is a coherent thing you should care about.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Nov 2018, 20:10

Jadagul wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 20:06
The Senate complaints in their best form make one very accurate and good point: performing well in the Senate does not represent any sort of popular mandate.

Trump keeps saying things like an overwhelming majority of voters supported him. This is false. He is going to say that the Republican Senate results demonstrate that most people are behind him. That is also false.

I get that the Senate, quite deliberately, isn't supposed to be representative of the popular will. But that makes it really fucking stupid to use Senate results as a proxy for the popular will, even if you believe the popular will is a coherent thing you should care about.
The president says stupid outrageous shit. The president lies. Stop paying attention to what the president says.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Nov 2018, 20:16

The Senate complaints are stupid because the Dems did in fact win a majority of states that were up this cycle.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2018, 21:19

Jadagul wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 20:06
Both sides, demonstrably, can be stupid, here.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2018, 21:23

Mo wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 20:16
The Senate complaints are stupid because the Dems did in fact win a majority of states that were up this cycle.
I think part of it is that a number of Blues have really gotten attached to the "doomed underdog" status being on the outs gave them. The Obama era situation of pretending to be underdogs while owning the White House was just plain awkward compared to this. Elsewhere, I see some Blues trying to downplay the election all the way down to near-complete failure just so that they can be comfortably pessimistic. And part of that narrative is describing everything they don't have as an injustice.

Mo

Vote or Die

Post by Mo » 07 Nov 2018, 22:47

What’s really funny is conservatives drinking the Kool Aid that this is some sort of permanent structural Senate majority. Which is odd, considering the Ds has a filibuster proof majority in the ancient days of 2008. Granted, the head of the NRCC claimed they were poised for a 100 year House majority back in 2014.

https://thehill.com/blogs/223065-nrcc-c ... r-majority

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Nov 2018, 23:16

The only people more out of touch with American politics than voters are politicians.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Nov 2018, 08:47

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 23:16
The only people more out of touch with American politics than voters are politicians.
What about journalos?
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2018, 21:51

Break out your old hanging chad Halloween costumes

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Nov 2018, 23:03

Fuckin reboots.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2018, 23:08

Writers mailed it in for the season finale.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Nov 2018, 23:27

It is possible this is like ST:TNG - 18 years after the original series, they at first recycle a lot of the same plots at first. Eventually, though, they finally find their own voice and put out something worthwhile.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex