Vote or Die

Andrew

Re: Vote or Die

Post by Andrew » 04 Nov 2018, 14:15

I am excited for Tuesday. I can't wait for all the ads to stop and the signs to come down. And then the start of the endless bitching from coworkers about whichever clown they selected to rule over us.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Nov 2018, 15:45

Monday is all booked up. I guess I should find out what the ballot initiatives are.

ETA
Just for you Ellie
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Nov 2018, 16:00

Andrew wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 14:15
I am excited for Tuesday. I can't wait for all the ads to stop and the signs to come down. And then the start of the endless bitching from coworkers about whichever clown they selected to rule over us.
I have a FB friend who is an American ex-pat. She is definitely an example of TDS (a nice person otherwise), so her FB posts are just one anti-Trump rant after another. Whichever way the vote goes, it will probably be January before I can have a normal conversation with her again.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Nov 2018, 16:10

Warren wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 15:45
Monday is all booked up. I guess I should find out what the ballot initiatives are.

ETA
Just for you Ellie
When a greek goddess tells you to vote, you say *yes*.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Nov 2018, 16:14

In perhaps the most outrageous example of election administration partisanship in the modern era, Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp, who is running for governor while simultaneously in charge of the state’s elections, has accused the Democratic Party without evidence of hacking into the state’s voter database. He plastered a headline about it on the Secretary of State’s website, which thousands of voters use to get information about voting on election day.

It’s just the latest in a series of partisan moves by Kemp, who has held up more than 50,000 voter registrations for inconsistencies as small as a missing hyphen, fought rules to give voters a chance to prove their identity when their absentee ballot applications are rejected for a lack of a signature match, and been aggressive in prosecuting those who have done nothing more than try to help those in need of assistance in casting ballots.

But the latest appalling move by Kemp to publicly accuse the Democrats of hacking without evidence is even worse than that: Kemp has been one of the few state election officials to refuse help from the federal Department of Homeland Security to deter foreign and domestic hacking of voter registration databases. After computer scientists demonstrated the insecurity of the state’s voting system, he was sued for having perhaps the most vulnerable election system in the country. His office has been plausibly accused of destroying evidence, which would have helped to prove the vulnerabilities of the state election system. ...
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Nov 2018, 16:27

Kolohe wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 16:10
Warren wrote:

ETA
Just for you Ellie
The giant lesbian amazon of civic justice compels you! Consent, ye sinners, and be governed!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Nov 2018, 16:30

Brian Kemp is really a despicable piece of slime.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Nov 2018, 16:52

Highway wrote:Brian Kemp is really a despicable piece of slime.
Nah, there's no slime monster here. Somebody just saw a cockroach up on twelve.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Nov 2018, 17:00

Highway wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 16:30
Brian Kemp is really a despicable piece of slime.
That is an insult to slime, which for all its ickiness does at least serve SOME legitimate biological purposes.

In all seriousness: I think that if all votes were accurately counted, and if all registered and qualified voters who attempted to vote were allowed to, Stacey Abrams would win the next election. But thanks to Kemp's shenanigans -- I expect he's going to "win."

When I was a kid, I never figured I'd live in a freaking banana republic when I grew up.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Nov 2018, 17:03

The MO senate race has more fecal flinging than I've seen in some time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 04 Nov 2018, 22:06

Local furniture place is doing his usual trick, which is come in and buy ridiculous $$$ of furniture and declare your team/candidate. If your team/candidate wins, he’ll refund you 50%. I am amazingly confident Ted Cruz is going to win, so if I had anyplace to put more furniture I would take that bet.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Nov 2018, 22:27

Kolohe wrote:
Warren wrote:

ETA
Just for you Ellie
I'm pretty sure she's whispering "that would make an amazing butt plug"
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Nov 2018, 11:04

Even the frickin' sermon at the church where I work was all about voting yesterday. Not a mention or a tie-in or anything, just literally ten minutes on why you should get out there and vote. Because white, upper-middle-class Episcopalians are the demographic most in need of being sold on this point in the first place? BARFFFFFFFFFFFFF
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Nov 2018, 13:34

Kolohe wrote:
Warren wrote:

ETA
Just for you Ellie
"This Golden Ballot is for the prettiest one."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 16:48

Ellie wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 11:04
Even the frickin' sermon at the church where I work was all about voting yesterday. Not a mention or a tie-in or anything, just literally ten minutes on why you should get out there and vote. Because white, upper-middle-class Episcopalians are the demographic most in need of being sold on this point in the first place? BARFFFFFFFFFFFFF
To be fair, though, midterm turnout IS traditionally much lower than for general elections. Also, IIRC, isn't that church sponsoring some refugee families of the sort whom Trump & Co are blaming for the decline and destruction of everything good and decent about America?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 17:46

This, I thought, was kinda funny: I DVR'd the Fox Sunday-night cartoon lineup as usual, and EVERY COMMERCIAL BREAK was back-to-back political ads: first a pro-Kemp "Fear Stacey Abrams" spot followed immediately by a "Yay, Stacey Abrams!" clip followed by yet ANOTHER "Abrams is too radical for Georgia" clip, ad infinitum.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Nov 2018, 18:06

Jennifer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 16:48
To be fair, though, midterm turnout IS traditionally much lower than for general elections. Also, IIRC, isn't that church sponsoring some refugee families of the sort whom Trump & Co are blaming for the decline and destruction of everything good and decent about America?
Funny story (by funny I mean extremely sad): the father of the family turned out to be opposed to getting any sort of job AND was also abusing his wife, and our church couldn't convince the mom and kids to stay in a shelter away from him (which I completely am sympathetic to, a new country where you don't speak the language, you'd cling to anything familiar). In the end he was so uncooperative and leeching that we had to cut off ties with him. :( I don't think it's changed any of the congregation's mind about refugees, they're quite liberal on that front, but our family was not a success story.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Nov 2018, 18:12

Ellie wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 18:06
Jennifer wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 16:48
Funny story (by funny I mean extremely sad): the father of the family turned out to be opposed to getting any sort of job AND was also abusing his wife, and our church couldn't convince the mom and kids to stay in a shelter away from him (which I completely am sympathetic to, a new country where you don't speak the language, you'd cling to anything familiar). In the end he was so uncooperative and leeching that we had to cut off ties with him. :( I don't think it's changed any of the congregation's mind about refugees, they're quite liberal on that front, but our family was not a success story.
Well, fuckleducks. [kicks pebble] I feel terrible for the mom and kids; too bad the dad is an utter asshole. (Though if he were a white native-born American, many Trumpsters I know of would praise his family values -- gotta keep the wife in line!)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Nov 2018, 18:44

Ellie wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 18:06
Funny story (by funny I mean extremely sad): the father of the family turned out to be opposed to getting any sort of job AND was also abusing his wife, and our church couldn't convince the mom and kids to stay in a shelter away from him (which I completely am sympathetic to, a new country where you don't speak the language, you'd cling to anything familiar).
Why would you tell the mother and kids to go to a shelter instead of kicking the abusive father out of the place you were putting them up in? Or was it a case of the church providing a subsidy that the family used to rent a place, so you lacked the authority to evict him?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Nov 2018, 19:02

Another refugee organization was paying their rent; nobody had any say over their lease but the landlord. (And the dad started showing up at the church demanding money from people here so I have no doubt if he'd known where the wife and kids were he would have been all up in their shit constantly anyway.)

Just sucked all around. :(

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 05 Nov 2018, 20:53

Aresen wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 16:00
Andrew wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 14:15
I have a FB friend who is an American ex-pat. She is definitely an example of TDS (a nice person otherwise), so her FB posts are just one anti-Trump rant after another. Whichever way the vote goes, it will probably be January before I can have a normal conversation with her again.
I wonder if this is my friend as well. Has yours resided outside of the country for over a decade, has no desire to return, and yet dutifully votes absentee every election?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Nov 2018, 20:54

So ... what was his logic exactly? I am [insert name] and you are beneath me?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Nov 2018, 20:55

My question is aimed at, ellie.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 05 Nov 2018, 21:03

I know I've mentioned this somewhere before but I make a point of voting just to keep the Libertarian spot on the ballot. We have some rule here where the party has to have either 3% of the registered voter base or obtain 3% in the last general state election.

Since this is a gubernatorial election year and I'm going to be circling a scantron form anyway, I'll vote big L where they are on the ballot, vote against Don Young and vote against any incumbent and propositions otherwise.

This technique has almost always gotten me a 180degree difference from actual voting outcomes.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Nov 2018, 21:13

Pham Nuwen wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 20:54
So ... what was his logic exactly? I am [insert name] and you are beneath me?
Whose logic? The refugee dad? Yeah, pretty much. I shouldn't have to work because blah blah, none of these jobs are good enough because blah blah, I'm the man of the family, blah blah asshole blah blah.