Cooling down: a more palatable thread?

JD

Re: Cooling down: a more palatable thread?

Post by JD » 14 Aug 2018, 16:59

Oddly enough, just today the head of the department here mentioned that he is directly related to the Zalatimos who supposedly make the best mutabak in the world.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2018, 17:07

JasonL wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 15:11
the french have perfectly nice pasteries but if i have to eat a dessert i'd pick egyptian and greek well ahead of the french,
Wait, what. No. Stop. The whole thing is phyllo and that's pretty much it. Sometimes layered with so much honey you can't lift it sometimes stuffed with cheese. I mean ok but come on. There is nothing to touch a kouign amaan (sp?). Real deal mille-feuille? Canele?

Austrians are really solid on the pastry front too.
:? I'm going to have to go with dhex on this one.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Aug 2018, 20:58

I've had gyros but not shawarma.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 14 Aug 2018, 21:05

Shawarma is wonderful, as is gyro meat. (Food at Al Udeid was generally tolerable at best. But every so often, there was gyro meat on the self-serve line. Inexplicably, it was pretty damn good, not just by chow hall standards, but in general. I used to plow through terrifying amounts of that stuff.)
Tzatziki is probably the most underrated condiment, and the only white condiment I'll allow in my home. It's also pretty easy to make at home.

ETA: We should also take moment to discuss the glory of stuffed grape leaves.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Aug 2018, 21:16

I'm ambivalent to stuffed grape leaves; my mother loves them.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 14 Aug 2018, 21:25

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 21:16
I'm ambivalent to stuffed grape leaves; my mother loves them.
When done wrong, they're meh at best. (Wrong is flavorless white rice wrapped in a overly vinegared leaf.) Done right they're slightly less addictive than methcrack.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Aug 2018, 21:30

I would like to try them done right to see if I'd like them! I've had them twice and they were horrifying -- slimy texture with a taste like chewing on grass.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 14 Aug 2018, 21:59

thoreau wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 23:32
Harissa is the fucking market of condiments.
This is the truest thing ever said on Grylliade.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 14 Aug 2018, 22:43

Ellie wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 21:30
I would like to try them done right to see if I'd like them! I've had them twice and they were horrifying -- slimy texture with a taste like chewing on grass.
Yeah-those are definitely the bad ones. For true, lovecraftian horror, try some from a can. Even Cthulu stirs in R'lyeh and thinks 'what the bloody fuck is that nastiness?' when someone eats canned dolmas.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Aug 2018, 07:01

Number 6 wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 22:43
Ellie wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 21:30
Yeah-those are definitely the bad ones. For true, lovecraftian horror, try some from a can. Even Cthulu stirs in R'lyeh and thinks 'what the bloody fuck is that nastiness?' when someone eats canned dolmas.
Also, you need grape leaves with thin soft stems. You don't want to get the horrifying giant thick stem.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Aug 2018, 10:22

Rachel wrote:
thoreau wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 23:32
Harissa is the fucking market of condiments.
This is the truest thing ever said on Grylliade.
It’s right below gochujang, which is a solid spot.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Aug 2018, 12:44

Hugh Akston wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 14:54
I don't know what shawarma is, but I want to try it.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Aug 2018, 13:08

You're just trying to give Warren a heart attack, aren't you?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Aug 2018, 20:21

Today, at the Indian supermarket where Jeff and I regularly shop, there was a guy making and selling fresh-squeezed "sugarcane juice": he'd put four or five rather thick sticks of what is presumably sugarcane into a machine, and they came out the other side thoroughly flattened, while juice poured out of a sluice on the side. Jeff was intrigued, so I went over and bought one while he still waited in line to pay for our real food. Very surprising taste: I was expecting something watery and faintly sweet, but this stuff was surprisingly rich and thick, more like something to be marketed as "sugarcane milk." I had about one drinking-straw's worth and decided that was enough; Jeff seemed to actually like it, though he only took a couple sips more before deciding to take the rest home and let it chill in the fridge. Maybe it'll taste better cold, I dunno.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Aug 2018, 02:43

It would occasionally show up in my youth - possibly when visiting my Florida relatives - and we'd cut a small piece and chew it. I don't recall much beyond that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Aug 2018, 02:33

Jeff ended up making a mojito with the leftover sugarcane juice.

In other news, tonight I discovered I don't like mojitos.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Aug 2018, 16:15

Mojitos with fresh sugar cane is summer's best in a glass.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Aug 2018, 16:18

I've been making my own cold brew coffee and it's great. Just put coffee in cold water in the fridge overnight. bam.

JD

Post by JD » 22 Aug 2018, 18:09

Dangerman wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 16:18
I've been making my own cold brew coffee and it's great. Just put coffee in cold water in the fridge overnight. bam.
+1 to this. The only downside is if you forget to make it the night before.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Aug 2018, 21:04

JD wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:09
Dangerman wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 16:18
+1 to this. The only downside is if you forget to make it the night before.
Coffee/water ratio pls kthxbai
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Aug 2018, 21:29

As per hot coffee plus one extra serving of grounds. So I make 24 oz. with 30 oz.worth of coffee. ymmv.