Cooling down: a more palatable thread?

thoreau

Cooling down: a more palatable thread?

Post by thoreau » 13 Aug 2018, 23:13

Some of the threads are getting a bit heated, and some Gryllers are going through hard times, so I want a less controversial thread.

What do you guys think of that garlic spread that Middle Eastern restaurants have? I can't decide whether it's too strong or too bland. It's weird.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Number 6

Re: Cooling down: a more palatable thread?

Post by Number 6 » 13 Aug 2018, 23:21

I'm not sure which spread you mean. But I like falafel. And tatziki sauce.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Aug 2018, 23:27

I weep for the lack of good falafel in this quadrant. With the good harissa that blows the drunken cobwebs out of your brain at 3AM after hitting the clubs. The falafel and the people are the only things I miss about DC.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Aug 2018, 23:31

Toum is the best. Nola has really good shawarma.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Aug 2018, 23:32

Harissa is the fucking market of condiments.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 13 Aug 2018, 23:33

Oddly enough, KC has quite a few options for good Middle Eastern food, including falafel.
That being said, the food in Doha is one of the few things I miss about Qatar.
Also, baklava is the ambrosial manna of the gods.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Aug 2018, 23:38

I'm actually proud of my baklava. It was taught to be by a little old Greek lady who made me swear never to record the recipe anywhere. It has to be passed on person to person. If I ever attend a gathering, I'll make some to bring.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 13 Aug 2018, 23:42

Speaking of which, there should be another Gryllicon in the not-terribly-distant future.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Aug 2018, 23:52

Number 6 wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 23:42
Speaking of which, there should be another Gryllicon in the not-terribly-distant future.
Seconded.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Aug 2018, 23:57

Shem wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 23:38
I'm actually proud of my baklava. It was taught to be by a little old Greek lady who made me swear never to record the recipe anywhere. It has to be passed on person to person. If I ever attend a gathering, I'll make some to bring.
Good baklava is hard to find. The best I ever had was in a little family bakery in Port Alberni, BC. Which is about as far from civilization as you can get.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Aug 2018, 00:01

My wife makes good baklava. Hold gryllicon in So Cal and she'll make some.

Or hold it in Vancouver because we like hanging out there. We could go to a concert at the Kobol Opera House from BSG.
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2018, 01:34

Shawarma put me in the hospital. Fucking tihini sauce.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 14 Aug 2018, 02:48

Aresen wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 23:52
Number 6 wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 23:42
Seconded.
Thirded!
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Aug 2018, 09:30

I've never made baklava. I actually prefer the Egyptian version in Astoria to the Greek. A little less overwhelming on the sweetness.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2018, 11:07

Aresen wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 23:57
Good baklava is hard to find.
This didn't use to be true for me, but it is now. Roch NY and Detroit MI both have large Greek populations and good baklava was available.
Here in MO, I've actually managed to find three excellent Greek restaurants but they all have crappy baklava.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Aug 2018, 12:15

dhex wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 09:30
I've never made baklava. I actually prefer the Egyptian version in Astoria to the Greek. A little less overwhelming on the sweetness.
Have you had feteer with honey? I love that stuff whenever I go to Egypt. It's basically Egyptian crepe, you can have sweet or savory versions. The ones with Egyptian cheese are bomb.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Aug 2018, 12:43

oh yes. dang, memories....

the wife couldn't eat anything from the egyptian bakeries because of walnuts and pine nuts and general allergies to fun but al sham on steinway was my go to for a long time. they'd throw me little tasters of kanafeh (kanafah?) and whatnot bc i was in there a lot and my delighted reactions amused them.

i rationalized this by thinking well i had to walk two miles to get there and two miles back so sweets yay. (this is bad dessert math)

and now i'm also daydreaming about damascus on atlantic avenue - family is lebanese iirc but also super great.

the french have perfectly nice pasteries but if i have to eat a dessert i'd pick egyptian and greek well ahead of the french, much less those dust cookie bullshit nightmares the italians call cookies. (italians win on bread, however - rose and joe's in astoria is still apparently churning out fantastic bread and nonsense desert dry crumb cakes)

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Aug 2018, 12:50

Kunafa is awesomesauce. Also, zalabya (the honey dipped dough balls)
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 Aug 2018, 13:04

There's a tiny Greek Cafe down the road from my house that I've never been to, and now I'm regretting it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Aug 2018, 13:21

Mo wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 12:15
dhex wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 09:30
Have you had feteer with honey? I love that stuff whenever I go to Egypt. It's basically Egyptian crepe, you can have sweet or savory versions. The ones with Egyptian cheese are bomb.
Had those for the first time this weekend at a Baltimore party catered by a Mediterranean restaurant. Definitely the market.

Also had pastrami and corned beef sandwiches from Attman's, one of the best corned beef places in the world.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Aug 2018, 14:54

I don't know what shawarma is, but I want to try it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Aug 2018, 15:11

the french have perfectly nice pasteries but if i have to eat a dessert i'd pick egyptian and greek well ahead of the french,
Wait, what. No. Stop. The whole thing is phyllo and that's pretty much it. Sometimes layered with so much honey you can't lift it sometimes stuffed with cheese. I mean ok but come on. There is nothing to touch a kouign amaan (sp?). Real deal mille-feuille? Canele?

Austrians are really solid on the pastry front too.

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Aug 2018, 16:33

Hugh Akston wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 14:54
I don't know what shawarma is, but I want to try it.
dude you need to get up on that asap.

j_thun i am not a french pastierie kinda dude. i've had some good ones but i like a dessert with heft if i'm gonna dessert. (i try to never dessert, to varying degrees of success)

canele is pretty dope tho. not a fan of the custard mille thingies.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Aug 2018, 16:40

+1 shawarma, tho no good options around here

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Aug 2018, 16:55

shawarma is good

macarons are great
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul