Page 9 of 10

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 16:34
by lunchstealer
And to clarify, the response was to the discussion a few pages back of the fact that none of us is going to do well at the Olympic level.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 17:09
by Warren
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 16:32
Warren wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 15:12
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 14:31
FWIW, In 2004 I fenced against a member of the 1996 US Olympic fencing team and only lost my bout 5-1. A year or so later I lost 5-4 to the under-19 US champion and the Over-60 US champion (two different bouts, not the same person). The U-19 guy was psychotically fast, while the over-60 guy just knew what I was going to do before I did because he'd seen it all before.
These are women? Trans women?

ETA
I'm having trouble digesting the phrase "psychotically fast".
the speed of that little fucker was without empathy.
That would be 'sociopathically fast'.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 17:11
by Warren
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 16:34
And to clarify, the response was to the discussion a few pages back of the fact that none of us is going to do well at the Olympic level.
OFFS. If you're responding to something that isn't the post immediately above, have the common decency to include a quote. If only for the link.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 18:26
by Dangerman
Many places even use divisions at the school level to keep schools with 3000 kids from statistically overwhelming schools with 500 kids.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 19:25
by lunchstealer
Dangerman wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 18:26
Many places even use divisions at the school level to keep schools with 3000 kids from statistically overwhelming schools with 500 kids.
Yeah, SC had 4 divisions when I started, and added a fifth for the largest of the large my senior year. We were about 1000-1200 students at the time and were in the 3A division (where 4A and then 5A were the biggest). There was still a ~100 student four year high school in my county with its tiny town constantly fighting to keep the district from shutting it down and sending those kids to my high school. But anyone who wanted to take AP courses had to come to my high school anyway.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 19:26
by lunchstealer
Warren wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 17:11
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 16:34
And to clarify, the response was to the discussion a few pages back of the fact that none of us is going to do well at the Olympic level.
OFFS. If you're responding to something that isn't the post immediately above, have the common decency to include a quote. If only for the link.
You can't make me.

Also it was close to the end of the page and I didn't notice there were three more pages after.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 19:28
by lunchstealer
Warren wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 17:09
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 16:32
Warren wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 15:12
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 14:31
FWIW, In 2004 I fenced against a member of the 1996 US Olympic fencing team and only lost my bout 5-1. A year or so later I lost 5-4 to the under-19 US champion and the Over-60 US champion (two different bouts, not the same person). The U-19 guy was psychotically fast, while the over-60 guy just knew what I was going to do before I did because he'd seen it all before.
These are women? Trans women?

ETA
I'm having trouble digesting the phrase "psychotically fast".
the speed of that little fucker was without empathy.
That would be 'sociopathically fast'.
They're largely synonymous, with the most common definitions having 'psychopath' as someone who was basically born psychopathic, and a 'sociopath' becoming psychopathic because of childhood abuse, neglect, or trauma. Both are mostly deprecated as of DSM-V in favor of Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 19:42
by Warren
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 19:28
Warren wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 17:09
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 16:32
Warren wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 15:12
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 14:31
FWIW, In 2004 I fenced against a member of the 1996 US Olympic fencing team and only lost my bout 5-1. A year or so later I lost 5-4 to the under-19 US champion and the Over-60 US champion (two different bouts, not the same person). The U-19 guy was psychotically fast, while the over-60 guy just knew what I was going to do before I did because he'd seen it all before.
These are women? Trans women?

ETA
I'm having trouble digesting the phrase "psychotically fast".
the speed of that little fucker was without empathy.
That would be 'sociopathically fast'.
They're largely synonymous, with the most common definitions having 'psychopath' as someone who was basically born psychopathic, and a 'sociopath' becoming psychopathic because of childhood abuse, neglect, or trauma. Both are mostly deprecated as of DSM-V in favor of Antisocial Personality Disorder.
Psychopath yes. Psychotic no.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 20:43
by lunchstealer
Oh whoops. I meant psychopathically, actually.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 22:42
by Dangerman
“Louis Anglesey, Earl of Upnor—pushes a sword like a demon, doesn't he? You'd never guess he's only fourteen!"

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 12 Aug 2019, 01:01
by Warren
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 20:43
Oh whoops. I meant psychopathically, actually.
oh
That's different

nevermind.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 13 Aug 2019, 15:50
by Jasper
I agree with Warren, from a few posts up.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 20 Dec 2019, 14:29
by Ellie
JK Rowling discussion moved behind the veil upon request: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2893

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 20 Dec 2019, 14:36
by D.A. Ridgely
I understand, insofar as I care, about the distinctions currently being made between sex and gender and that there are a number, though I suspect not all that large a number, of people who describe and identify their gender in a manner likely if not actually calculated to cause confusion to others and spark controversy and disputation, etc., etc. I also get how many would say that, shifting cultural and social norms aside, there are reasons not to permit participation by post-op transsexual women in women's athletic competitions. I'm not quite sure how encouraging the use of "pregnant people" over "pregnant women" accomplishes much, though there have been at least a few federal court cases drawing the distinction regarding equal protection that a law providing protections or rights to pregnant women is not sex discrimination because the protections accrue to those who are pregnant, presumably "regardless of their sex."

All this said, I guarantee that if the future provides some technologically miraculous way of transmuting every cell in one's body from XX to XY or vice versa resulting in a both genotypical and phenotypical member of whichever sex the person opted for, there will still be people who would say "Oh, well, what really counts is how you were when you were born." As with so many other culture wars, the facts are not determinative for either side, so it's pretty much pointless trying to persuade people on that basis.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 23 Jan 2020, 14:15
by Ellie
I'm lazily posting this here instead of finding a more apt thread, because this one has ACLU in the title.

I've never been to a town hall. I want to learn more about local issues but I also fear this might just depress me. Point in favor: free food. Point against: ACLU-MN didn't even give me an interview when I applied for a job there last year, so fuck them.

Should I attend this?

https://www.aclu-mn.org/en/events/traffic-ticket-jail

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 23 Jan 2020, 14:31
by Hugh Akston
Policing for profit and snowballing fines are a significant driver of poverty, homelessness, mass incarceration, and police brutality. If you're concerned about those things this would be a good way to learn about how they manifest locally. Sure they're depressing, but their might be discussion about how to challenge and change the laws. If you really want to work for the local ACLU, showing up at their town halls and mingling is a good way to get noticed. Plus free food.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 23 Jan 2020, 15:15
by Jennifer
I co-sign everything Hugh said.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 23 Jan 2020, 20:35
by Eric the .5b
Same here. This is sufficient wokeness for the ACLU.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 23 Jan 2020, 21:51
by thoreau
Me four.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 24 Jan 2020, 15:33
by lunchstealer
Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 14:31
Policing for profit and snowballing fines are a significant driver of poverty, homelessness, mass incarceration, and police brutality. If you're concerned about those things this would be a good way to learn about how they manifest locally. Sure they're depressing, but their might be discussion about how to challenge and change the laws. If you really want to work for the local ACLU, showing up at their town halls and mingling is a good way to get noticed. Plus free food.
Yup, even if ACLU-MN engages in other shitty wokeness, this is the good kind and I think very important, so I'm on board, and this also gives you a chance to both start engaging potential players and showing some value in anticipation of future job openings, and starting to get the familiarity you need to know if they're gonna use your powers for bad wokeness or generally if you'd have to work for assholes. As with birdwatching, networking goes both ways.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 09 Apr 2020, 14:33
by D.A. Ridgely
Per my email update, the ACLU is suing Georgia claiming that the state's failure to provide prepaid postage on mail-in absentee ballot envelopes, thus requiring voters to buy a stamp, constitutes a poll tax, which is unconstitutional and which, according to the ACLU, also disproportionately affects the poor and minorities.

My take is that the ACLU is missing the the real issue here, which is that Georgia's attempted cost saving is actually a pretextual tactic to suppress the youth vote. Based on the anecdotal evidence of my own family, Millennials and younger have never noticed, let alone used a postage stamp.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 09 Apr 2020, 14:39
by thoreau
As much as I might criticize excessive wokeness on the part of the ACLU, suing over barriers to voting is not excessive wokeness in my book. However much I might (only half-jokingly) argue for restricting suffrage to those who can pass a test on history, statistics, economics, and basic medical facts, whoever has the right to vote should have as few barriers as possible.

And it's not like Brian Kemp's election policies are an unfair target for the ACLU in general.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 09 Apr 2020, 14:44
by Kolohe
Frankly, mail sent between the public and election officials should be franked.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 09 Apr 2020, 14:45
by Hugh Akston
If Netflix can figure out how to do pre-paid return postage, the state of Georgia shouldn't have that much trouble.

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Posted: 09 Apr 2020, 14:48
by D.A. Ridgely
Whether I should be entitled to send unfranked hate mail to my congressman or not, I agree in principle that the ballot envelopes should be franked and we all know Georgia is up to no good.

But let's face it, it's also a de minimus sort of voter suppression. Most of us have to drive somewhere to vote in person, too, and I don't think I'd support a class action suit demanding we all get gasoline reimbursement vouchers along with our "I Voted" stickers.