Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Kolohe

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Post by Kolohe »

You could (and perhaps people have?) make an equal protection and/or poll tax argument if say, the polling place that people had to go was well outside the center of population for that particular polity.

E.g. county seat of a few thousand people, where over half the county lives, but the only polling place in the county was at the county fairgrounds (or racetrack) at the far end of the county.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'd say the gas issue is probably countered by the fact people are generally expected to go to their specific (and usually nearby) precinct locations to vote. Suppression usually happens by having fewer voting booths/machines in those precincts when they have large minority populations.

I have no idea whether the ACLU suit is worth the time and effort.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 14:33
Per my email update, the ACLU is suing Georgia claiming that the state's failure to provide prepaid postage on mail-in absentee ballot envelopes, thus requiring voters to buy a stamp, constitutes a poll tax, which is unconstitutional and which, according to the ACLU, also disproportionately affects the poor and minorities.

My take is that the ACLU is missing the the real issue here, which is that Georgia's attempted cost saving is actually a pretextual tactic to suppress the youth vote. Based on the anecdotal evidence of my own family, Millennials and younger have never noticed, let alone used a postage stamp.
Hell I'm solidly Xer and last week I used a stamp for the first time this year
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 14:39
However much I might (only half-jokingly) argue for restricting suffrage to those who can pass a test on history, statistics, economics, and basic medical facts, whoever has the right to vote should have as few barriers as possible.
I think those two sentiments are at odds with each other.
I'd like to return to having to actively registering to vote. If you want to vote, you should have to go online or mail in your registration at least two months before the election. Having even a small barrier would keep the politically unengaged out of the polling booth. The flip side is that the hyper-engaged (far-left/right, single issue, etc.) have that much more influence.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

The answer to the question in the thread title appears to be yes: ACLU sues Betsy DeVos over new campus sexual assault regulations
Last edited by Andrew on 17 May 2020, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 15:30
You really never sent a letter or a postcard or anything before? I don't have to use stamps much, but it happens sometimes.

Recently we've had to send out a bunch of envelopes and packages that are too large to be standard letter size but still small enough to go first-class, and the stamp situation has been kind of a pain. The USPS has made sending letters and postcards easier by selling stamps that don't have denominations, they're just "letter" or "postcard" value no matter what the actual monetary cost is at the time. But that same move has made sending anything else more difficult, because if you need a specific monetary value it's hard to find.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

I like the USPS but I'd like to see it privatized. And then they'd get rid of everything I like about it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote:
17 May 2020, 09:59
lunchstealer wrote:
You really never sent a letter or a postcard or anything before? I don't have to use stamps much, but it happens sometimes.

Recently we've had to send out a bunch of envelopes and packages that are too large to be standard letter size but still small enough to go first-class, and the stamp situation has been kind of a pain. The USPS has made sending letters and postcards easier by selling stamps that don't have denominations, they're just "letter" or "postcard" value no matter what the actual monetary cost is at the time. But that same move has made sending anything else more difficult, because if you need a specific monetary value it's hard to find.
That was for the first time this year, not the first time ever. I used to mail several bill payments per month and the odd letter or post card but not much. But by grad school I had full time access to email, so email and phone were 99% of how I kept in touch with people. If you didn't use email/phone I lost touch with you.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

lunchstealer wrote:
17 May 2020, 15:05
JD wrote:
17 May 2020, 09:59
lunchstealer wrote:

That was for the first time this year, not the first time ever. I used to mail several bill payments per month and the odd letter or post card but not much. But by grad school I had full time access to email, so email and phone were 99% of how I kept in touch with people. If you didn't use email/phone I lost touch with you.
I use one stamp a month becasue the guy that cuts my grass in FL doesn't know how to use Apple Pay or Venmo.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Andrew wrote:
16 May 2020, 17:48
The answer to the question in the thread title appears to be yes: ACLU sues Betsy DeVos over new campus sexual assault regulations
The ACLU gives a rather detailed response to criticism they've been getting on that suit.
Specifically, we challenge a provision that allows schools to ignore any sexual harassment or assault that takes place off campus, such as in a student’s apartment, even if the perpetrator and victim are in the same classes and the incident has lasting effects on the campus environment. We challenge a provision that says colleges and universities can ignore widely known incidents of sexual harassment or assault if a formal complaint is not filed with a handful of school officials. It says that schools will not be held liable for responding unreasonably to claims of sexual harassment, so long as they are not “deliberately indifferent.” And it redefines “sexual harassment” to provide that it includes only those actions that are “severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive,” meaning that the school is free to ignore “severe” sexual harassment if it’s not “pervasive,” and can ignore “pervasive” harassment if it’s not also “severe.”

None of this has anything to do with the fair process rights of the respondent.
Emphasis in original.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.