Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

JasonL

Re: Is the ACLU getting too Woke?

Post by JasonL » 02 Jul 2018, 13:55

I think you are giving them a pass on what is clearly a formal shift in philosophy.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jul 2018, 14:03

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 13:42
I think you all are making too big a deal about where a private organization is spending it's limited resources in a time when it is being pressed on all fronts.
I don't see how the latter mitigates the former. If anything it's an aggravating factor.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jul 2018, 14:07

If I want to see a private organization spend resources supporting my priorities then I should find one that shares my priorities and donate to them. Meanwhile i should shut up about free speech and let the DEMAND KURVE settle this.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jul 2018, 14:17

This is not like hating the implicit Jesus when buying a chicken sandwich, it’s like hating the chicken sandwich.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jul 2018, 14:55

The thing is that the ACLU has traditionally defended Nazis and the Klan because those are the edge cases where nasty precedents get set that then get applied to much more sympathetic speakers. If you wait to defend speakers until you get to sympathetic cases, the damage will be done and you'll have a much harder time getting around the holes that were chipped in the First Amendment while the ACLU was being picky with its limited resources.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2018, 14:48

Ugh, this is ungood. I'm sure I'm second to nobody at this forum, regarding my utter loathing of catcallers and those who defend them -- but I've never called for it to be made illegal, whereas yesterday the ACLU posted (and then swiftly deleted) a tweet suggesting they have different ideas: NPR tweeted a story/headline saying "Catcalling is now a crime in France, and is punishable by fines of up to 750 Euros (more than $870)," and someone on the ACLU Twitter feed re-tweeted that with the comment "Your move, America."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/08/03/aclu ... eech-tweet
As obnoxious as catcalling is, the government simply can't prevent men from talking to women in public. This is something that many anti-catcalling groups understand explicitly, which is why they often oppose attempts criminalize such behavior.

So it's pretty telling that the ACLU could forget, even for a moment, that banning catcalling would be a significant blow to civil liberties, and would likely undermine other important goals, like criminal justice reform. (In the U.S. at least, the government would disproportionately arrest poor people, immigrants, and people of color for catcalling.)

Yes, I am aware that a single tweet does not indicate a broad structural shift in the ACLU's thinking: most likely this was done by one social media editor. I am still astonished that such a person—someone who is deeply confused about what the ACLU ostensibly stands for—would find themselves in the position of running the ACLU's Twitter feed. Did free speech not come up during the job interview?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Aug 2018, 15:18

OTOH, I did get a pretty personalized and candid response from the ACLU President when I wrote to her about free speech concerns. I think there are plenty of people there still fighting the good fight. But it is baffling to me that somebody who is OK with speech codes would even WANT a job doing social media for the ACLU.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Aug 2018, 15:34

To be fair, that tweet was deleted. So I imagine the communications underboss had to take the social media intern aside and explain to her that advocating for speech bans is the opposite of what the ACLU does.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2018, 15:38

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 15:34
To be fair, that tweet was deleted.
I did mention that. But, as Thoreau said, it's weird that anyone who'd get a job (or an internship) at the ACLU would've wanted to make such a tweet in the first place. It's like someone at an atheist organization tweeting "America always has been and always must be a Christian nation" -- if you believe that, why the hell do you have the job you do?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Aug 2018, 16:57

I mean, I'm not going to fault an intern for only slightly misreading the room.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Aug 2018, 17:36

Maybe it’s different in the media world, but in the normal part of the private sector, social media people don’t know fuck all what the core of the company does.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Aug 2018, 17:49

Mo wrote:Maybe it’s different in the media world, but in the normal part of the private sector, social media people don’t know fuck all what the core of the company does.
This is true.
Kolohe wrote:I mean, I'm not going to fault an intern for only slightly misreading the room.
I suppose the social media intern might be a communications major who took the job because they want a career in communications, not civil liberties activism. Maybe all they know is that the ACLU is, like, liberal and stuff.

But if the kid is pre-law, I'm going to cry.
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Aug 2018, 06:05

The ACLU is standing up for the NRA in New York.

https://www.aclu.org/legal-document/nra ... icus-brief
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Aug 2018, 22:09

That's promising, since the NRA is getting to be a big target for Team Blue. I see people on that side of the aisle straight-facedly arguing as if the NRA has always been some kind of Russian conspiracy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Aug 2018, 22:33

Good news indeed. I'm not a fan of the NRA these days, but their speech is undeniably in the realm of the First Amendment.
Eric the .5b wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 22:09
I see people on that side of the aisle straight-facedly arguing as if the NRA has always been some kind of Russian conspiracy.
OFFS. The NRA, like much of the right these days, has proven to be usefully idiotic for Russians, but even I know that this is a new thing, a symptom of the deeper rot in American institutions.

That said, it's pretty hilarious to see an organization that sells itself as a patriotic defender of American freedom being successful in penetrating a Russian spy.
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Aug 2018, 15:46

thoreau wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 22:33
Good news indeed. I'm not a fan of the NRA these days, but their speech is undeniably in the realm of the First Amendment.
Eric the .5b wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 22:09
I see people on that side of the aisle straight-facedly arguing as if the NRA has always been some kind of Russian conspiracy.
OFFS. The NRA, like much of the right these days, has proven to be usefully idiotic for Russians, but even I know that this is a new thing, a symptom of the deeper rot in American institutions.
It's a performative or signaling claim. Like the people who say Trump rigged the election in that many words, or that Obama was a secret Kenyan Muslim, or that Bush rigged his reelection, etc.

They hate the NRA for being the modern NRA. They hated the NRA before the current leadership even, ever since it switched to opposing gun control. This is just a way to express the current fever pitch of hostility.

I'm honestly not sure whether this behavior is hilarious or disturbing, but there it is.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem