Oh, Canada

Fin Fang Foom

Oh, Canada

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 08 Jun 2018, 16:19

Canada must be, like obsessed with us. They keep doing what we do.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/08/61829595 ... um=twitter

Warren

Re: Oh, Canada

Post by Warren » 08 Jun 2018, 17:14

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 16:19
Canada must be, like obsessed with us. They keep doing what we do.
You just noticed that?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Jun 2018, 23:44

We are guaranteed to be the second feature inJohn Oliver clips for the next four years.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Jun 2018, 10:36

Putin doesn't like us either. Did the Cheeto give Vlad a call?

Russia rips Canada’s ‘high-handedness’ in legalizing recreational marijuana
Russia is not happy with Canada for legalizing recreational marijuana.

Moscow issued a stern warning to Ottawa over the impending cannabis legalization on Oct. 17, saying Canada “deliberately decided to breach” international law.

“We expect Canada’s partners in the G7 to respond to its ‘high-handedness’ because this alliance has repeatedly declared its adherence to the domination of international law in relations between states,” Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Jun 2018, 11:11

"high" handedness hur hur hur
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Jun 2018, 11:22

Yeah, this is a subject that comes up occasionally among wonk potheads. As a signatory to the UN Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs as amended by further treaty, you're not supposed to legalize pot at the national level. I mean, we're the US and more than willing to tell the UN to go piss up a rope if we feel like it. I kind of thought Canadiastan was more polite about those things.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Jun 2018, 11:24

tr0g wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 11:22
Yeah, this is a subject that comes up occasionally among wonk potheads. As a signatory to the UN Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs as amended by further treaty, you're not supposed to legalize pot at the national level. I mean, we're the US and more than willing to tell the UN to go piss up a rope if we feel like it. I kind of thought Canadiastan was more polite about those things.
Passive aggressive is the way to go.

BTW, it's 'Canuckistan'.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2018, 11:35

The US drives pot prohibition globally. Either crack down on your exports or we'll crack down on you.
It's a little different with Canada, we've always been good neighbors. It troubles me deeply that we've started feuding. Things are still pretty good international border wise. But I'd really like to get back on friendlier terms. At any rate, pot isn't the thorn it was ten years ago.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Jun 2018, 12:06

We could always just point out that pot isn't a narcotic except by dipshit drug-warrior everything's-a-narcotic-because-narcotic-sounds-scary colloquialism.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Jun 2018, 12:06

Aresen wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 11:24
tr0g wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 11:22
Passive aggressive is the way to go.

BTW, it's 'Canuckistan'.
I thought it was still Outer Candolia
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Jul 2018, 18:30

So apparently Justin Trudeau looked like this in 2000.
Trudeau-in-creston.jpg
Trudeau-in-creston.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 370 times
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Oct 2018, 10:19

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Oct 2018, 10:39

Good on you Canuckistan.
CA is actually ahead of the USA here. I think that may be a first.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Oct 2018, 10:46

Warren wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 10:39
Good on you Canuckistan.
They got into both World Wars before we did.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Oct 2018, 10:53

Kolohe wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 10:46
Warren wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 10:39
Good on you Canuckistan.
They got into both World Wars before we did.
I'm grading on my own personal curve. I wouldn't have supported either.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 17 Oct 2018, 10:57

I’m still interested in how this shakes out with the ‘61 treaty and nobody seems to either know or care. Including, I suspect, most of Trudeau’s government.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 17 Oct 2018, 11:07

Canada is a fan of pot, but not so much of the free market.
Brenda Tobin and her son Trevor plan to open their pot shop in Labrador City in Newfoundland and Labrador at 4:20 p.m. Wednesday...

She doesn't expect to make much money off the pot itself, noting Newfoundland's 8 percent cap on retail pot profits. She hopes to make money from pipes, bongs and marijuana paraphernalia.

"There's no money in the product itself," she said. "You got to sell $250,000 worth of product in order to make $20,000. That's not even paying someone's salary."
(I haven't been able to find much other information about this retail profit limit. Also, we should note that Canada does seem to have explicitly recognized that high tax rates are likely to contribute to gray-market sales, so good on them for that.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Oct 2018, 11:10

tr0g wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 10:57
I’m still interested in how this shakes out with the ‘61 treaty and nobody seems to either know or care. Including, I suspect, most of Trudeau’s government.
One of the reasons it took nearly 3 years after Trudeau got elected was that the government said it had to look into the impact of the treaties. I never heard anything about the putative results.

I suspect the biggest international impact is going to be on the idiots who figure they can cross the border with their Canadabis in their suitcase. One of the things I am not looking forward to about going to Cottage Grove next year is the US border patrol agents who are determined to make their monthly quota busting people smuggling pot.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 17 Oct 2018, 11:30

Lol if Canada once again becomes the place you get "good weed" from.

Good on you all. Good luck, let's hope we can join you in $Presentyear before too long.

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Oct 2018, 11:34

8% cap on profits based on what? Profits are limited to 8% of revenue? How much of the shop owner's pay is put in that "profit"? I think that most storefronts would be happy with an 8% profit on revenue if it doesn't include paying the owners for time worked.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Oct 2018, 14:15

I mean I guess it depends how much of fixed cost and salaries you can assign to to product cost. Cost accounting is largely voodoo anyway.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Oct 2018, 14:50

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Oct 2018, 15:19

Hugh Akston wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 14:50
This guy gets it
Pot CEO pleads for Trump to help America's marijuana industry as Canada gets a head start on legal weed
Make America Baked Again!

"Head Start" Hrrr Hrrr Hrrr

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Oct 2018, 17:25

JD wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 11:07
Canada is a fan of pot, but not so much of the free market.
Brenda Tobin and her son Trevor plan to open their pot shop in Labrador City in Newfoundland and Labrador at 4:20 p.m. Wednesday...

She doesn't expect to make much money off the pot itself, noting Newfoundland's 8 percent cap on retail pot profits. She hopes to make money from pipes, bongs and marijuana paraphernalia.

"There's no money in the product itself," she said. "You got to sell $250,000 worth of product in order to make $20,000. That's not even paying someone's salary."
(I haven't been able to find much other information about this retail profit limit. Also, we should note that Canada does seem to have explicitly recognized that high tax rates are likely to contribute to gray-market sales, so good on them for that.)
Highway wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 11:34
8% cap on profits based on what? Profits are limited to 8% of revenue? How much of the shop owner's pay is put in that "profit"? I think that most storefronts would be happy with an 8% profit on revenue if it doesn't include paying the owners for time worked.
Yeah, that Brenda Tobin quote blatantly confuses profit and margin. Nobody's pay comes out of profit, they come out of margin. (And how many people in retail operations are on salary, anyway?)

Unless the "profit" tax actually taxes margin, which I wouldn't put past them.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Oct 2018, 18:08

I think what it really is is that Newfoundland is limiting retailer markup to 8%, based on things like this:
Critics say the retail deck is stacked in favor of large corporations such as Canopy Growth and Loblaw.

“If the profit margin is limited to 8%, then the retailer is only making 80 cents per CA$10 sale. If the sale is CA$7, the margin is only 49 cents for each gram that they sold,” CFIB’s Hammond noted.

The retailer then must pay tax on that slim margin, assuming a profit is made.

“You’ll have to sell a lot of product to cover the expenses,” Hammond added.
That's not 'profit margin', that's just putting places out of business if you can only sell something for 8% over cost.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."