Gentry from the block

Dangerman

Re: Gentry from the block

Post by Dangerman » 27 Jun 2018, 09:45

In my hometown, the service industry workers are stuck in a donut hole where towns won't allow density or anything that mars the perceived New England image, and everything else is high end homes and rentals. I'm hearing about people who are homeless, but who don't lack reasonable means, they just won't be chosen to rent the places that they could scrimp to afford. Air BnB has taken a lot of lower/middle income housing off the table, apparently. But it's a ski town so.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2018, 08:51

Dangerman wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 09:45
In my hometown, the service industry workers are stuck in a donut hole where towns won't allow density or anything that mars the perceived New England image, and everything else is high end homes and rentals. I'm hearing about people who are homeless, but who don't lack reasonable means, they just won't be chosen to rent the places that they could scrimp to afford. Air BnB has taken a lot of lower/middle income housing off the table, apparently. But it's a ski town so.
Ski town? As in downhill skiing? I'd have thought the service industry would be a disproportionately large segment of that economy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 29 Jun 2018, 09:28

Yeah it is, lodging, dining, and retail are like 70 percent of local revenue, almost all from tourists or second home owners.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2018, 09:54

Dangerman wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 09:28
Yeah it is, lodging, dining, and retail are like 70 percent of local revenue, almost all from tourists or second home owners.
Well if it's 70% of revenue and service jobs are low income then maybe 80% of local employment are low paying service jobs. So are you telling me that near 80% of the local population (excluding tourists) can't find housing?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Gentry from the block

Post by JasonL » 29 Jun 2018, 10:00

That’s how it always works in resort towns. Locals live elsewhere and commute in as it were.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 29 Jun 2018, 10:09

Most of these people are not low income. That's the gripe. This is a cohort which is easily above qualifying for any assistance, but cannot find housing, largely because (I'm told by community organizers) you can either make $1000 a month and have to deal with renters, or $700 a week with a credit card security via Air BnB for the on season. I did the math for my mom's house, complete with market comparison, and she would clearly benefit from this scheme, if I can get a good property manager. You can make 50 percent more per year if you can do seasonal/weekly rentals, you get a credit card security for an unreasonably large amount IMO, and you don't have long term damage because you can clean each week.

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Jul 2018, 12:03

Least surprising news all last week (I didn't see it until today): https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/06/29 ... criticism/

tl;dr a neighborhood-touring company that had previously gotten threats of violence for a proposed tour of a gentrifying hood here in Chicago has now cancelled another tour of a different gentrifying hood
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jul 2018, 16:14

nicole wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 12:03
Least surprising news all last week (I didn't see it until today): https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/06/29 ... criticism/

tl;dr a neighborhood-touring company that had previously gotten threats of violence for a proposed tour of a gentrifying hood here in Chicago has now cancelled another tour of a different gentrifying hood
In a statement on the company’s website, Scotese said Chicago Detours plans to make a donation to Chicago Community and Workers’ Rights, Pilsen Alliance and The Resurrection Project in lieu of the event.

But a Resurrection Project spokesperson said Wednesday that they would not accept donations from Chicago Detours. The tour group previously planned to donate tips and a portion of the ticket sales to the Pilsen nonprofit. Later in the day, the Pilsen Alliance also said it wouldn’t accept the donation.
Yeah, that'll teach em!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Jul 2018, 15:39

Biz-gentrification:
A West Loop alderman who often presses developers to set aside more units for low- and moderate-income residents than they are required by city ordinance now wants a developer to set aside affordable commercial space as well.

At a Plan Commission meeting Thursday, Ald. Walter Burnett Jr. (27th) challenged developer Mark Goodman to make some retail space at a new office building in the West Loop affordable.

“We can’t keep any ma and pop retailers in this neighborhood because they can’t pay the rent,” Burnett said. “The community asked if you would consider having an affordable rent for a retailer in the community, and I don’t recall hearing anything about that.”
https://blockclubchicago .org/2018/07/20/make-retail-rent-affordable-in-booming-neighborhoods-west-loop-alderman-says/

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Jul 2018, 16:09

aka "the profitable stores" because they don't have to pay as much in overhead, but will still charge as much as their competitors.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Jul 2018, 19:22

Won't someone think of the consumers?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Jul 2018, 23:43

nicole wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 15:39
Biz-gentrification:
A West Loop alderman who often presses developers to set aside more units for low- and moderate-income residents than they are required by city ordinance now wants a developer to set aside affordable commercial space as well.

At a Plan Commission meeting Thursday, Ald. Walter Burnett Jr. (27th) challenged developer Mark Goodman to make some retail space at a new office building in the West Loop affordable.

“We can’t keep any ma and pop retailers in this neighborhood because they can’t pay the rent,” Burnett said. “The community asked if you would consider having an affordable rent for a retailer in the community, and I don’t recall hearing anything about that.”
https://blockclubchicago .org/2018/07/20/make-retail-rent-affordable-in-booming-neighborhoods-west-loop-alderman-says/
At the rate malls are closing, I am surprised anyone is building retail space nowadays.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Jul 2018, 23:45

Off-topic but how long do you think until we have to stop saying "mom and pop stores" because it's too heteronormative?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Jul 2018, 14:51

Warren wrote:Won't someone think of the consumers?
Never. No. Fuck them.

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2019, 12:53

I bitched to the pub on Twitter already but I'm still mad so now you have to experience it too

https://blockclubchicago
.org/2019/02/13/uptown-elementary-school-turned-luxury-lofts-a-symbol-of-neighborhood-reckoning-gentrification/

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Feb 2019, 14:24

The landmarked building currently has rentals available for $1,655 to 3,955 a month, a price point that reflects just how much the neighborhood has changed.
Yeah, speaking as someone who believes "The rent [and cost of housing in general] really is too damned high" -- I definitely sympathize with poor people who are concerned because they cannot afford rents starting at $1,655 monthly for what is likely a one-room efficiency apartment.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 13 Feb 2019, 14:28

He remembered feeling shocked when he went back to visit the school building in August for an article in the Chicago Reader, where he interned last summer. Walking through the space, he was hit with classroom memories and said he felt upset that his old school was now a luxury apartment complex.
God forbid someone harsh your nostalgia buzz to create something of actual value to people.

I understand the difficulties for some in this situation but the entitled attitude people have is nuts.

(Also I totally would love to live in that place.)

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2019, 14:35

Jennifer wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 14:24
The landmarked building currently has rentals available for $1,655 to 3,955 a month, a price point that reflects just how much the neighborhood has changed.
Yeah, speaking as someone who believes "The rent [and cost of housing in general] really is too damned high" -- I definitely sympathize with poor people who are concerned because they cannot afford rents starting at $1,655 monthly for what is likely a one-room efficiency apartment.
They're luxury apartments. There are pictures in the article.

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2019, 14:37

Painboy wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 14:28
He remembered feeling shocked when he went back to visit the school building in August for an article in the Chicago Reader, where he interned last summer. Walking through the space, he was hit with classroom memories and said he felt upset that his old school was now a luxury apartment complex.
God forbid someone harsh your nostalgia buzz to create something of actual value to people.

I understand the difficulties for some in this situation but the entitled attitude people have is nuts.

(Also I totally would love to live in that place.)
I would dance a fucking jig if the schools I went to weren't schools anymore.

These people couldn't find a single critic of CPS or person who agreed that closing a school with 17 students in its entire eighth grade class was a good idea.

They also couldn't find anyone to realize that the only way to pay teacher pensions is by taxing the shit out of people who can afford luxury apartments.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Feb 2019, 14:45

nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 14:35
Jennifer wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 14:24
They're luxury apartments. There are pictures in the article.
I know. And po'folks generally can't afford luxury apartments, and I do sympathize with someone who is worried that they will soon be unable to afford where they're living and will have a HELL of a time finding an affordable replacement, too. If an expensive luxury building is going up (or being converted out of a non-apartment building), it's a safe bet the rents in the surrounding neighborhood will rise, too.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2019, 14:54

The building was sitting on a pile of gold bars that were formerly locked up in the basement of a building serving very few people. To Nicole's point, and my general point related to gentrification issues, it's super strange to say it's better to keep the gold bars locked up than to liberate them through development and change them into other things including a more useful/used school if that's what you want to do. There may be some margin where community served is a reasonable balance against the magnitude of the pile of gold in a vault, but ... this ain't that.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Feb 2019, 15:03

Again, I have no problem with an old school (or warehouse, or vacant lot) being converted into apartments, even expensive ones. But I do sympathize with the poor neighbors who are very concerned because they KNOW the end result will be them being priced out of their current homes.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Feb 2019, 15:16

That's like being concerned over the tide rolling in.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2019, 15:28

In some dimension yes, but you can get pretty perverse land use regs that will lock up value for along time.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Feb 2019, 15:30

I'm not going to comment on any story I have to stitch a broken link to read.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul