Gentry from the block

Post by nicole » 02 May 2018, 16:24

A thread on gentrification
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

nicole

Re: Gentry from the block

Post by nicole » 02 May 2018, 16:25

Kind of a random one to start the thread with, but it seems to be coming up more, so...anyway.
AT A RECENT DISCUSSION at the CUNY Graduate Center with the writer Chris Kraus, the first question came from a protestor. Kraus was there to talk about After Kathy Acker, her excellent new biography of postmodern lit’s enfant terrible. But the question was not about the biography or Acker’s fiction or even Kraus’s own remarkable novels. Instead, the questioner asked why Semiotext(e), Kraus’s publisher — and at one point Acker’s — was hosting a reading with Kraus at the gallery 356 Mission in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles. Boyle Heights, a historically Latinx neighborhood, is currently engaged in a struggle against gentrification, taking on that seemingly naïve first wave of cultural pioneers: the artists, gallerists, and musicians who often head out to the frontier of what are often lower-income, nonwhite neighborhoods in search of urban grit, inspiration, and, most importantly, cheap rents. Why, the questioner asked, would Kraus and Semiotext(e) contribute to such gentrification? Semiotext(e), a long-standing publisher of radical continental leftist theory, politics, and fiction, would be directly contributing to gentrification.

After a brief impasse, the usual questions begin, with Kraus answering one on politics by pointing out that while Acker was no activist, her work held a subversive edge. Acker, Kraus explained, was political in terms of her art, her personal life, and her theoretical understandings of semiotics and culture. Kraus’s response, though a fair defense of art as politics, falls a little flat. It seems somehow unsatisfactory. Nevertheless, Semiotext(e) canceled the Boyle Heights event shortly thereafter. It is into this complex interrelationship of politics, culture, and economics that the resurgence of interest in Acker has arrived.
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/why ... acker-now/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 May 2018, 16:39

nicole wrote:
02 May 2018, 16:25
Kind of a random one to start the thread with, but it seems to be coming up more, so...anyway.
AT A RECENT DISCUSSION at the CUNY Graduate Center with the writer Chris Kraus, the first question came from a protestor. Kraus was there to talk about After Kathy Acker, her excellent new biography of postmodern lit’s enfant terrible. But the question was not about the biography or Acker’s fiction or even Kraus’s own remarkable novels. Instead, the questioner asked why Semiotext(e), Kraus’s publisher — and at one point Acker’s — was hosting a reading with Kraus at the gallery 356 Mission in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles. Boyle Heights, a historically Latinx neighborhood, is currently engaged in a struggle against gentrification, taking on that seemingly naïve first wave of cultural pioneers: the artists, gallerists, and musicians who often head out to the frontier of what are often lower-income, nonwhite neighborhoods in search of urban grit, inspiration, and, most importantly, cheap rents. Why, the questioner asked, would Kraus and Semiotext(e) contribute to such gentrification? Semiotext(e), a long-standing publisher of radical continental leftist theory, politics, and fiction, would be directly contributing to gentrification.

After a brief impasse, the usual questions begin, with Kraus answering one on politics by pointing out that while Acker was no activist, her work held a subversive edge. Acker, Kraus explained, was political in terms of her art, her personal life, and her theoretical understandings of semiotics and culture. Kraus’s response, though a fair defense of art as politics, falls a little flat. It seems somehow unsatisfactory. Nevertheless, Semiotext(e) canceled the Boyle Heights event shortly thereafter. It is into this complex interrelationship of politics, culture, and economics that the resurgence of interest in Acker has arrived.
I would like to know just who is leading this 'struggle'. I suspect most of the neighborhood couldn't give a fuck.

Also, is 'Latinx' a typo or some new 'identity'? (Or a new fabric developed by Dupont?)

FWIW, I ran the passage through Flesch-Kincaid. Ease of reading 35.3. Grade level 13.4. I am sure that the article is accessible to the residents of Boyle Heights.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Shem

Post by Shem » 02 May 2018, 16:40

Latinx=Latino and Latina.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 May 2018, 20:45

nicole wrote:
02 May 2018, 16:25

Ah, yes, clearly we can't have book readings in neighborhoods where poor people live. Might fill their heads with ideas.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 May 2018, 21:09

"seemingly naïve first wave".

I'm glad these writers are smart enough to realize that these aren't really people looking for affordable places to live and work, but the first scouts of The White Conspiracy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 May 2018, 01:54

Well it's obvious now that for their own protection we need to wall these areas off to prevent further contamination. Only state approved food and supplies should be allowed in lest we ruin it's delicate infrastructure.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 May 2018, 02:21

I approve of the thread title.

Also, since this thread is in the open area, I might have to invite some of my much cooler friends to come to this thread and take it over.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 May 2018, 02:22

I've had some disquieting thoughts along these lines because in Atlanta, "Gentrification is hurting the poor" is a HUGE topic of local news. As it happens, if Jeff and I are indeed going to settle here and buy a house -- well, we're likely going to buy in what is euphemistically called a "majority minority" neighborhood -- not from any desire to Hurt The Poor or promote white supremacy, but because that's where the houses in our price range are. (Granted, my price range/affordability standards are much stricter than any bank's -- mainly because I don't want us putting on the so-called "golden handcuffs" -- but if we had, all our years together, lived "in our means" rather than well below them -- we never would've had enough savings to get us through that horrible, horrible, lengthy period when we were both out of work, and in fuckballs-expensive Loudoun County, too.)

The thing about these "gentrification is bad" articles is, they never seem to consider that maybe the people looking for those "cheap" housing costs mentioned in the article aren't slumming rich folks, but people with actual financial reasons to live where they are.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 May 2018, 02:22

thoreau wrote:
03 May 2018, 02:21
Also, since this thread is in the open area, I might have to invite some of my much cooler friends to come to this thread and take it over.
Oh, hell. They're not going to open any of those "five dollars per mouthful" cupcake shops, are they?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 May 2018, 02:23

As if you could get a gluten-free vegan cupcake for a mere $5 in a cool neighborhood.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 May 2018, 02:33

Per mouthful, I said. That's at least $25 per cupcake.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 May 2018, 02:35

25? Why do you hate the poor, Jen?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 May 2018, 02:43

Pham Nuwen wrote:
03 May 2018, 02:35
25? Why do you hate the poor, Jen?
I don't! Thoreau's the one threatening to gentrify the place with his $25 cupcake cool-people friends; I'm the one opposing it, remember?

Somebody here has to stick up for the poor.

Jake

Post by Jake » 03 May 2018, 02:53

Jennifer wrote:
03 May 2018, 02:43
Let them eat cupcake.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 May 2018, 02:55

Jake wrote:
03 May 2018, 02:53
Jennifer wrote:
Let them eat cupcake.
At a reasonable price.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 May 2018, 03:10

Jake wrote:
03 May 2018, 02:53
Jennifer wrote:
Let them eat cupcake.
The law, in its majesty, grants both rich and poor the negative right to suffer no interference in eating any cupcake that they can obtain via purely voluntary mechanisms.

But the law, in its majesty, grants neither rich nor poor the positive right to have a cupcake provided.
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 03 May 2018, 09:45

Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 May 2018, 11:05

Shem wrote:
03 May 2018, 09:45
winner winner chicken dinner
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 May 2018, 11:41

Shem wrote:
Bam!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 May 2018, 11:54

Problem:
Shem wrote:
Solution:
Painboy wrote:
03 May 2018, 01:54
Well it's obvious now that for their own protection we need to wall these areas off to prevent further contamination. Only state approved food and supplies should be allowed in lest we ruin it's delicate infrastructure.
Gluten, HFCS and sugar free foods, of course.

And no smoking or vaping.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 May 2018, 11:57

Shem wrote:
Just so. Nicely put.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 May 2018, 13:09

I went looking for articles about gentrification in Atlanta, and found one that in places almost reads like a burlesque parody of the matter. (Even if you're not familiar with the city or any of its neighborhoods and landmarks, if you read the article I'm sure you can from the context figure out "Ah, THIS must be a rich neighborhood, and THAT is a poor neighborhood being gentrified, and this over HERE is....")

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/11/ ... ta/545555/

Rather than lose the laws which effectively limit the amount of housing that can be built, and/or "snob zoning" laws requiring homes be bigger or more luxurious than needed solely to keep the prices up, here's the big "fixit" proposal:
...On a humid October evening, community members of neighborhoods where the BeltLine will arrive next met at the Families First building in southwest Atlanta, to discuss one possible way to avoid this fate: an inclusive zoning ordinance introduced by Atlanta City Council members Andre Dickens and Michael Julian Bond.

The ordinance moves to revise zoning laws that cover the BeltLine’s path and surrounding area to require any project of more than 10 units to set aside a portion of its units for affordable housing for 20 years. In return, developers receive incentives such as reduced property taxes and reduced parking requirements. ...
So even if this plan IS put into fruition, what will the results be? Make parking even MORE scarce than it already is (and parking in Atlanta proper is already a big problem; there are certain events or places Jeff and I won't bother going to because of things like "We'll have to spend 20 bucks just to park for two hours, over and above the cost of the event or place itself"), give rich developers a tax break at the expense of everybody else, in exchange for which the "affordable housing" problem will not even be solved, but merely kicked down the road another 20 years. (Besides, as a practical matter -- and given the really shitty mass-transit options around here, and that you still effectively NEED a car if you want to hold a steady job and whatnot -- WTF good will it do a poor person to get a reduced-rent apartment if he'll still have to pay through the nose to park his car every month?)

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 May 2018, 22:47

Oh no! Car owners forced to internalize their own costs!
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 May 2018, 08:36

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 May 2018, 22:47
Oh no! Car owners forced to internalize their own costs!
More like "Developers allowed and even encouraged to build housing that lacks certain vital necessities." This isn't Manhattan, or Boston in walking distance of a T-stop, where a car is a luxury. Here -- especially if you have the sort of job that qualifies you as low-income for this area -- if you don't have a car, you can't get to work.

(If they were limiting parking while greatly expanding mass transit options, that would be different. But they're not.)