Define Capitalism

Mo

Define Capitalism

Post by Mo » 09 Mar 2018, 16:44

Here's an interesting article on Singapore and how it is frequently cited as a capitalist ideal state. OTOH, the government literally controls much of the means of production. Do people that cite Singapore understand how intertwined with everything the government is? If so, is that what they want, just a more effective state run capitalism or is it just a convenient cudgel?

http://peoplespolicyproject.org/2018/03 ... re-really/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Define Capitalism

Post by Sandy » 09 Mar 2018, 16:55

Is it? I'd always heard that the closest thing to a truly laissez-faire government was Hong Kong pre-1997.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Mar 2018, 16:57

It was always HK #1, Singapore #2.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 Mar 2018, 17:11

Mo wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:57
Huh. I always discounted it because they were super-strict about everything except, like, arms dealing. That just didn't seem like a libertarian paradise to me. Their healthcare system seems OK, though.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Mar 2018, 17:15

Sandy wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 17:11
Mo wrote:
Huh. I always discounted it because they were super-strict about everything except, like, arms dealing. That just didn't seem like a libertarian paradise to me. Their healthcare system seems OK, though.
Agreed. I always thought of Singapore as the epitome of State Capitalism.®

®Trademark: Noam Chomsky
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Mar 2018, 17:23

Aresen wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 17:15
Sandy wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 17:11
Mo wrote:
Agreed. I always thought of Singapore as the epitome of State Capitalism.®

®Trademark: Noam Chomsky
I'm going to have to third this. I never thought of the government of Singapore being anywhere near "hands off" when it came to interfering with business or personal concerns. Likewise Dubai (or any of the UAE).
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Mar 2018, 19:21

Sandy wrote:
Mo wrote:
Their healthcare system is super government run too.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Mar 2018, 19:50

For those people citing Singapore as the "most capitalist/free," what are the actual metrics they measured--ease of opening a business? Ease of operating one? Number and severity of regulations? Tax rates? Something else? I've no idea.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Mar 2018, 20:37

I remember, going back to the Asian Tigers, a lot of wanking about the public/private "partnership" stuff present in a lot of countries in the region, including in SIngapore, and how they were totally better than silly free-market capitalism. After the financial crisis, most of that evaporated. I guess this is round two.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem