Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Shem
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Shem » 21 Aug 2019, 21:42

Andrew wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 20:04
I don't think it takes a particularly conservative viewpoint to be skeptical of the motivations behind the NYT running a series about how America was Really and Truly founded on slavery. Does anyone actually believe it's going to be a scholarly, dispassionate inquiry? It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that the unspoken second half is "and that is why aggrieved group X deserves more power and money."
So, the prospect of questionable motives=dismiss all points out of hand.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by thoreau » 21 Aug 2019, 22:15

Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 19:49
I don't know David's parents, but I'd expect anyone doing the "But if all the foundations of your moral worldview fell away..." thought experiment in a serious way to take at least a few seconds to think over any answers, including that wary, "Would I really do what I think I'd do?" examination of one's answer.

* And in a conversation, a few seconds is generally what people really mean for taking "long time" to answer.
This.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Aug 2019, 23:00

Maybe I watch too many crime shows and have already spent enough time considering under what circumstances I would or would not commit murder that now I have the answer ready to hand, and that's why it seems weird that other people have to think about it :lol:
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Aug 2019, 23:32

Ellie wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 23:00
Maybe I watch too many crime shows and have already spent enough time considering under what circumstances I would or would not commit murder that now I have the answer ready to hand, and that's why it seems weird that other people have to think about it :lol:
Yeah but, when I'm sitting on the sofa contemplating whether I'd pull the trigger in a given situation, I always think murder is wrong and I'd do what's right. But then when you actually find yourself confronted with someone who already ate half a dozen oysters and then they grab the last Blue Point... well let's just say things don't always go the way you planned.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Aug 2019, 07:14

Andrew wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 20:04
I don't think it takes a particularly conservative viewpoint to be skeptical of the motivations behind the NYT running a series about how America was Really and Truly founded on slavery. Does anyone actually believe it's going to be a scholarly, dispassionate inquiry? It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that the unspoken second half is "and that is why aggrieved group X deserves more power and money."

It's a well run package, at least the parts I've read so far. I know people like shitting on the times for various reasons but overall it tends to put out a certain level of quality. That said there's style variances because of the number of writers involved.

I feel pretty confident 99% of “this is divisive“ Twitter hasn't read any of it.

I feel this is fairly indicative of the style - part feature, part personal essay - and quality of writing:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... hools.html
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Aug 2019, 16:15

Something I never much thought about before, until looking at a map: I live in a suburb of Atlanta, in America's Eastern Time Zone (though in the westernmost part of that zone), and the entire continent of South America is due east of me.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Aug 2019, 17:00

Jennifer wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 16:15
Something I never much thought about before, until looking at a map: I live in a suburb of Atlanta, in America's Eastern Time Zone (though in the westernmost part of that zone), and the entire continent of South America is due east of me.
Well, huh. I thought that one bump in Peru's reached over that far, but not quite.

Mind, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, and part of Brazil are all in your time zone (or a differently-named time zone with the same offset from GMT).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Aug 2019, 18:24

Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Well, huh. I thought that one bump in Peru's reached over that far, but not quite.

Mind, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, and part of Brazil are all in your time zone (or a differently-named time zone with the same offset from GMT).
They’re west of Maine, which is also in the same time zone.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Aug 2019, 18:42

Mo wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 18:24
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

They’re west of Maine, which is also in the same time zone.
But Newfoundland is not in the same time zone as Maine.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Aug 2019, 18:57

The real oddity is the part of South America in the Central time zone that is in line or east of the entire Eastern Time zone in the US
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Aug 2019, 19:16

When Jeff and I first moved here -- after living in Virginia or Connecticut locations also in the eastern zone, but much further east than we are now -- we were initially astonished by how very, very late sunset came here. Especially since we moved in summer close to the solstice, when the further north you go, the longer the hours of daylight are -- and, conversely, the further south you are, the shorter the days get -- yet our first summer sunsets in the Deep South were later than in our place in central Connecticut, which surprised me until I remembered "Oh, right, we're only 50 miles east of the Central Time Zone."

Jeff's brother lives near Myrtle Beach, almost exactly the same latitude as us and in the same time zone, and according to Weather.com just now, Myrtle Beach sunset will be at 7:54 p.m. tonight, and 8:15 here.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 22 Aug 2019, 21:06

Jennifer wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 19:16
When Jeff and I first moved here -- after living in Virginia or Connecticut locations also in the eastern zone, but much further east than we are now -- we were initially astonished by how very, very late sunset came here. Especially since we moved in summer close to the solstice, when the further north you go, the longer the hours of daylight are -- and, conversely, the further south you are, the shorter the days get -- yet our first summer sunsets in the Deep South were later than in our place in central Connecticut, which surprised me until I remembered "Oh, right, we're only 50 miles east of the Central Time Zone."

Jeff's brother lives near Myrtle Beach, almost exactly the same latitude as us and in the same time zone, and according to Weather.com just now, Myrtle Beach sunset will be at 7:54 p.m. tonight, and 8:15 here.
When I moved from Kansas City to Chicago for college, I was struck by the opposite phenomenon. Mid-winter sunsets came around 4:30, which struck me as insanely early.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 22 Aug 2019, 21:31

How did Google Street View end up here? Also, what's with the airplane model?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7116172 ... 192!8i4096
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Aug 2019, 22:31

JD wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 21:31
How did Google Street View end up here? Also, what's with the airplane model?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7116172 ... 192!8i4096
Dunno about the airplane model, but "Street View" has included pictures of tourist attractions and whatnot taken on foot for a few years.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD » 29 Aug 2019, 13:38

Probably the only positive story you'll ever see about Comcast: Comcast Representative Saves Man From a Stroke Moments After He Dialed the Customer Service Line
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Aug 2019, 15:25

JD wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 13:38
Probably the only positive story you'll ever see about Comcast: Comcast Representative Saves Man From a Stroke Moments After He Dialed the Customer Service Line
Which begs the question: What was it about his Comcast service that induced the stroke?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Aug 2019, 16:59

Aresen wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 15:25
JD wrote:
Which begs the question: What was it about his Comcast service that induced the stroke?
Oh man, what wouldn't contribute to a stroke about calling Comcast customer service? They were so awful when I had to deal with them.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Aug 2019, 19:10

Highway wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 16:59
Aresen wrote:
JD wrote:
Oh man, what wouldn't contribute to a stroke about calling Comcast customer service? They were so awful when I had to deal with them.
Which reminds me for some reason of Don Rickles' best joke: Frank Sinatra saved my life one night. [beat] He looked down and said "That's enough, Jilly."

Shem

Post by Shem » 29 Aug 2019, 19:17

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 19:10
Highway wrote:
Aresen wrote:
JD wrote:
Which reminds me for some reason of Don Rickles' best joke: Frank Sinatra saved my life one night. [beat] He looked down and said "That's enough, Jilly."
You're going to have to explain that one.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Aug 2019, 19:33

I think Jilly is a mobster choking out Rickles?

Ah i think this is Jilly
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jilly_Rizzo
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Aug 2019, 20:02

Shem wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 19:17
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Highway wrote:
Aresen wrote:
JD wrote:
I'm going punch you in the face until you get the joke.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Sep 2019, 11:16

Broing IRL bros who bro without a hint of irony is like encountering an actual mouse chasing a cat with a wooden mallet.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 27 Sep 2019, 11:55

Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 11:16
Broing IRL bros who bro without a hint of irony is like encountering an actual mouse chasing a cat with a wooden mallet.
bruh.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Sep 2019, 19:45

Warren wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 20:02
Shem wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 19:17
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Highway wrote:
Aresen wrote:
JD wrote:
I'm going punch you in the face until you get the joke.
That's enough, Warren.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 28 Sep 2019, 23:16

I can't tell if Warren intended to make me laugh out loud or not. Because he did.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex