Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

dead_elvis

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by dead_elvis » 24 Jun 2019, 14:09

Our homeowners insurance is through First American Property & Casualty Insurance Group. I get great amusement out of their abbreviated web address which keeps making me think " fap, then a cig"
Last edited by dead_elvis on 24 Jun 2019, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Jun 2019, 14:59

dead_elvis wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 14:09
Our homeowners insurance is through First American Property & Casualty Insurance Company. I get great amusement out of their abbreviated web address which keeps making me think " fap, then a cig"
Well, like most insurance companies, they will probably jerk you around if something comes up.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Jun 2019, 20:19

Sometimes they'll reach around you in order to screw you too.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Jun 2019, 05:48

The Good War is not Iran, nor Russia. It’s China and their fucking pushy tourists. I’m ready to go to war right here in Versailles

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Jun 2019, 08:35

JasonL wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 05:48
The Good War is not Iran, nor Russia. It’s China and their fucking pushy tourists. I’m ready to go to war right here in Versailles
Yep. It was like that for me at Stonehenge. We were heading back to the car. So was a busload of Chinese tourists. Just a human mass. I nearly dropped robbie from all the pushing and shoving. Finally lashed back with the point of my elbow. Right into an old Chinese womans face. Didn't even faze her.

Good luck at the touristy places.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Jun 2019, 09:46

JasonL wrote:
I had the same experience in Versailles two months ago. They tried to use language barrier and playing dumb to cut in front of giant lines. Fuck you.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 25 Jun 2019, 10:13

Mo wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 09:46
JasonL wrote:
I had the same experience in Versailles two months ago. They tried to use language barrier and playing dumb to cut in front of giant lines. Fuck you.
I had exactly the same experience in Versailles the other year! I actually had a woman attempt to use me as a human camera stand until I walked away.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Jun 2019, 10:13

Dude it’s like 100F in this line with no shade. I dare you to shove in front of me and act like you don’t know better.

Ps heatwave in France suuuucks. WTF the train from Paris to Versailles isn’t climate controlled.

JD

Post by JD » 25 Jun 2019, 10:39

JasonL wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 10:13
Ps heatwave in France suuuucks. WTF the train from Paris to Versailles isn’t climate controlled.
See, that's why the Europeans always get all, "But it is thirty degrees now! We are all dying of heatstroke!"
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Jun 2019, 13:31

I came here to post this without knowing about the heat complaints, but it’s very appropriate. I came here to say, I hate people like this with the fire of a thousand suns:
Either way, our week together was a little slimy, but overall it exceeded my expectations. I’ve been using antiperspirants for so many years that I was surprised at how little I sweated, and I quickly stopped worrying so much about if my clothing would hide it. Plus, the Clean Queen kept my pits smelling like baking soda, though I’m now curious if I’d even smell that bad with nothing.
https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/0 ... irant.html
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 18 Aug 2019, 11:44

We have a City Council member who is finally term limited out after a scrolling years in office. The world is gunning for this seat. One candidate is using a green skyline for her logo and is named Mary Jane Smith. She seems tailor-made to be the 420 candidate, but no, bog standard stealth republican. I am disappoint that someone named Mary Jane is not running for the weed vote.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 19 Aug 2019, 10:57

Yesterday I went to a minor league baseball game, the Brooklyn Cyclones vs. the Tri-City ValleyCats. Brooklyn was leading most of the way through an uneventful game until Tri-City managed to pull even (due to some bad calls by the umpire, if you ask me). It looked like the game might go into extra innings. Of course when I'm in the bathroom, that's when the Cyclones get an out-of-the-park home run (the only homer of the game) with a man on second.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Aug 2019, 19:08

This is from another thread, and it's only an example of the phenomenon but the formula
(A)“Removing monuments honoring Confederate leaders is erasing our history!”

(B)Well, as a history buff you’ll want to read this fascinating New York Times package exploring...

(C)“Why must you be so divisive?”
... Should be mocked, tabooed, and questioned mercilessly unless the poster can identify an actual person who said both A and C.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Aug 2019, 21:17

Dangerman wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 19:08
This is from another thread, and it's only an example of the phenomenon but the formula

(B)Well, as a history buff you’ll want to read this fascinating New York Times package exploring...

... Should be mocked, tabooed, and questioned mercilessly unless the poster can identify an actual person who said both A and C.
2nd
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Aug 2019, 21:24

Dangerman wrote:This is from another thread, and it's only an example of the phenomenon but the formula

Argumentum ad Team Accountabilitum

Pretty sure that’s right.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Aug 2019, 23:57

I would guess a certain militery loyer might qualify.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 Aug 2019, 00:51

My tumblr friends call this "distributed hypocrisy."

It is somewhat related to motte-and-bailey stuff, though.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Aug 2019, 02:41

Dangerman wrote:This is from another thread, and it's only an example of the phenomenon but the formula

I mean it’s a layup, but Ben Shapiro
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Aug 2019, 06:46

The divisive thing is a weird criticism. The people who would feel uh divisive'd or whatever by the project aren't reading the times.

"Divisive" is all over Twitter but it's a lot of federalist schmucks (redundant) from my cursory glances.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2019, 07:00

The nature of the divisive thing from the right is they think the standard national myths are important. Divisive is “you are eroding the glue of America as a nation”.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Aug 2019, 07:22

dhex wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 06:46
The divisive thing is a weird criticism. The people who would feel uh divisive'd or whatever by the project aren't reading the times.

"Divisive" is all over Twitter but it's a lot of federalist schmucks (redundant) from my cursory glances.
And the head of Constitutional Studies at Cato. Though he also does write for the Federalist.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Aug 2019, 07:35

It's not the actual words there, it's the creation of a scenario where you put words into the mouth of a fictional person and then put yourself into the place of the wise and reasonable interlocutor where you can act smug.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Aug 2019, 07:36

Mo wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 02:41

I mean it’s a layup, but Ben Shapiro
Then fucking put his name on there if your quoting him. Not you, Mo, but anyone who is using this meme in the wild.

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Aug 2019, 08:58

JasonL wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 07:00
The nature of the divisive thing from the right is they think the standard national myths are important. Divisive is “you are eroding the glue of America as a nation”.
Who's gonna tell them that ship sailed?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2019, 09:15

Not that I'm a conservative whisperer or anything, and Trumpism aside, but I think they see themselves as fighting a losing battle to hang onto some kind of common national myths and social institutions that are the only thing that make the US a Nation. They hate po mo talk primarily because of this sort of thing - it's an attack on things that in their minds have value because they are part of a positive collective identity. Being a Family Man is a good thing, right? Right??? I think they see this sort of collective myth acceptance as something similar to the acceptance that money has value. YOu can say haha money is just paper and the fed and so forth, but it has value because people participate in a common story about it. Conservatives see a lot of things like that, notably the ideas of Nation, Family, and Faith.