Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Pham Nuwen

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 31 Mar 2019, 22:09

Warren wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 21:10
I held a fidget spinner for the first time today.
WTF?
How did this ever become a thing? Guess I was spoiled off radiometers, gyroscopes, and the like from museum and planetarium gift shops growing up.
#iamverysmart
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Apr 2019, 01:51

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Apr 2019, 12:29

Remember to spay or neuter your pet rock, and make sure that it gets vaccinated.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Apr 2019, 13:10

JasonL wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 20:23
Alex Jones has fans. Anyone can have fans.
And once you become a cyborg, you'll probably need fans to keep parts cool.

/sneaks out of thread
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Apr 2019, 03:19

mrs lunch's new chihuahua puppy has a pet rock.

no shit that thing found a pebble in the back yard and that's its favorite toy. A fucking pebble you guys.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Apr 2019, 09:23

lunchstealer wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 03:19

no shit that thing found a pebble in the back yard and that's its favorite toy. A fucking pebble you guys.
This confirms my contempt WRT small dogs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Apr 2019, 14:30

lunchstealer wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 03:19

Could be worse.

Instead of a pet rock, could have found a chihuahua.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Apr 2019, 14:14

I wonder if I could get an NSF grant to photograph leftover donut boxes from churches, workplaces etc. I'm pretty confident of my hypothesis that the leftovers will be comprised principally if not entirely of old fashioned donuts, anything with a maple glaze, and half donuts left by people who couldn't commit to eating a whole one.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Apr 2019, 15:37

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 14:14
I wonder if I could get an NSF grant to photograph leftover donut boxes from churches, workplaces etc. I'm pretty confident of my hypothesis that the leftovers will be comprised principally if not entirely of old fashioned donuts, anything with a maple glaze, and half donuts left by people who couldn't commit to eating a whole one.
I think an NEA grant for a series of photos might have a better shot.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 Apr 2019, 20:55

Airport just paged a 'Customer Earhart'
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Apr 2019, 20:59

Kolohe wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 20:55
At least she's not the pilot.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 11 Apr 2019, 21:31

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 20:59
Kolohe wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 20:55
At least she's not the pilot.
For some reason, Pilot Earhart quit answering pages.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Apr 2019, 15:28

Huh. Here is an odd little mystery I mention here in case anyone has some insights:

As of yesterday's thrift-store visit, I now own two king-sized wool blankets which I only ever intend to keep in the car, in case of a cold-weather emergency. For my first blanket, which I bought in January, the tag had cleaning instructions for both washing machines and dry-cleaning; of course I washed mine in the machine, then dried it over the shower-curtain rod.

The blanket I found yesterday had a "dry clean only" tag but I figured fuck it, it's wool just like the last blanket, so machine-washing it should be fine. (And even if the blanket does end up a little shrunken or misshapen, who cares?) But when the washing-machine cycle finished and Jeff hauled that heavy wet blanket out of the machine and hung it over the curtain rod, he immediately discovered the blanket was VERY linty. He had to wash his hands after handling the blanket, because his hands and forearms were covered with wet wool lint. I spent some time picking over the blanket, hand-removing lint-wads that were almost as big as cotton balls, and later went over the dried blanket with multiple applications of a sticky-sticker lint roller, and after awhile realized that trying to completely de-lintify the blanket would be futile, so I finally gave up, folded the blanket and put it in the storage bag.

But I wonder: regarding two pure-wool blankets, both washed and dried under identical circumstances, why is the one blanket so very, VERY linty compared to the other? Could it be, like, differences in the techniques used to spin the raw wool fibers into thread? Different techniques for weaving the threads into cloth? Different chemicals used later in the treatment process? (FWIW, the "good" blanket is light blue, whereas the "linty" blanket is pink. Also -- I am not positive of this, and I don't feel like going down to Jeff's car to check, but I think the linty pink blanket is softer/less scratchy to the touch than the blue blanket, and was even before I washed it.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Apr 2019, 17:31

Got one of cars inspected today, so now I have a 4 20 sticker on the windshield.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Apr 2019, 00:34

As the kids say

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Apr 2019, 08:02

Jennifer wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 15:28
But I wonder: regarding two pure-wool blankets, both washed and dried under identical circumstances, why is the one blanket so very, VERY linty compared to the other? Could it be, like, differences in the techniques used to spin the raw wool fibers into thread? Different techniques for weaving the threads into cloth? Different chemicals used later in the treatment process? (FWIW, the "good" blanket is light blue, whereas the "linty" blanket is pink. Also -- I am not positive of this, and I don't feel like going down to Jeff's car to check, but I think the linty pink blanket is softer/less scratchy to the touch than the blue blanket, and was even before I washed it.)
Yes, it could be any or all of those things, including chemicals in the dye (as well as other chemicals that may or may not have been used in the treatment process). It could also be differences in the raw fibers themselves although that alone wouldn’t be such a dramatic difference probably (or at least, the “good” version would still be felted).
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Apr 2019, 12:50

Historical trivia - the surname 'Walker' comes from the fact that woven wool cloth was 'walked' on in troughs of cold water to turn it into felt.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Apr 2019, 15:42

nicole wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 08:02
Jennifer wrote:
Yes, it could be any or all of those things, including chemicals in the dye (as well as other chemicals that may or may not have been used in the treatment process). It could also be differences in the raw fibers themselves although that alone wouldn’t be such a dramatic difference probably (or at least, the “good” version would still be felted).
Rrr. This still doesn't help me know, like, WTF to look for to avoid similar problems in future. (I do have a vague memory of a once-nice wool sweater that ended up shrinking a bit -- not to the point where "It no longer fits," merely "It no longer 'looks' right, when I wear it." But -- while that sweater became less-good in terms of "How much does it flatter me, when I wear it" -- that bit of shrinkage arguably made it BETTER in terms of "So how effective would this be at helping me retain body heat and repel water or snow, if need be?" Shrunken wool is better than non-shrunken wool for that purpose.) So naturally, when I ignored the "dry clean only" instructions on the blanket, I expected it might come out looking a little misshapen like that long-ago sweater- but did NOT expect it to become so freaking linty. I've never had a garment or blanket do THAT.

Thought: I wonder what would happen if I got the blanket wet again (not another washing, just a quick dunk in the bathtub or something), then put it in the dryer and let the lint trap work its magic? But given how much freaking lint it has already, I seriously wonder if it might not completely block the lint trap and create a fire hazard. (Though THAT, presumably, could be forestalled via something like, stop the dryer every 20 minutes to remove and clean out the lint trap.)

Right now, I would not say that blanket is "ruined" -- it would still be effective at keeping you warm -- but it would also be very unpleasant to end up covered with lint, and likely as not get some fibers in your eye, too. I have no idea what, if anything, I can do now to make the blanket less linty, since this particular problem is not one I have EVER had before.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Apr 2019, 16:38

Jennifer wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 15:42
nicole wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 08:02
Jennifer wrote:
Rrr. This still doesn't help me know, like, WTF to look for to avoid similar problems in future. (I do have a vague memory of a once-nice wool sweater that ended up shrinking a bit -- not to the point where "It no longer fits," merely "It no longer 'looks' right, when I wear it." But -- while that sweater became less-good in terms of "How much does it flatter me, when I wear it" -- that bit of shrinkage arguably made it BETTER in terms of "So how effective would this be at helping me retain body heat and repel water or snow, if need be?" Shrunken wool is better than non-shrunken wool for that purpose.) So naturally, when I ignored the "dry clean only" instructions on the blanket, I expected it might come out looking a little misshapen like that long-ago sweater- but did NOT expect it to become so freaking linty. I've never had a garment or blanket do THAT.

Thought: I wonder what would happen if I got the blanket wet again (not another washing, just a quick dunk in the bathtub or something), then put it in the dryer and let the lint trap work its magic? But given how much freaking lint it has already, I seriously wonder if it might not completely block the lint trap and create a fire hazard. (Though THAT, presumably, could be forestalled via something like, stop the dryer every 20 minutes to remove and clean out the lint trap.)

Right now, I would not say that blanket is "ruined" -- it would still be effective at keeping you warm -- but it would also be very unpleasant to end up covered with lint, and likely as not get some fibers in your eye, too. I have no idea what, if anything, I can do now to make the blanket less linty, since this particular problem is not one I have EVER had before.
Yeah, unfortunately, there's not a great way to guess at how to launder wool without knowing how it was treated. My advice, if you want to be safe with future items, is to assume that you want to avoid agitation. The way I launder pretty much everything in that category is that I soak it in this stuff (expensive, but I've been using the same small bottle for years), then I spin it in the washing machine, and dry the item flat. Note that you can only do this if you have the ability to ask your washing machine to ONLY spin. If you can't do that, you can squeeze or press the water out instead (you can wring out things if you feel like they can handle it, but for garments what I would do is roll the item up in a towel and squeeze the towel burrito). Spinning does make the drying process a lot faster if you can do it.

If you do have the ability to spin something, I'd probably think about giving that a shot with this blanket...like I'm wondering if you can sort of let some of the lint just float off in a soak (even just in water, since you know this is clean already) and then spin it and when it dries it would just have less lint on it. Dunno if that would work.

Also, part of the beauty of the Soak wash is that you don't have to rinse it, because rinsing is a source of potential agitation/felting for wool/cashmere. So there are alternatives that are gentle on wool, like Woolite, but you still have to rinse it out and it's just a pain to do that carefully.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Apr 2019, 16:45

You could also try just using a "fluff up" type dryer setting while the blanket is still dry, and let the lint trap do its thing that way.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Apr 2019, 17:13

nicole wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 16:38
The way I launder pretty much everything in that category is that I soak it in this stuff (expensive, but I've been using the same small bottle for years), then I spin it in the washing machine, and dry the item flat.
Heh, that bit I highlighted is not an option for this blanket, which is HUGE. So big that even when 6'3" Jeff holds any edge with his hands raised as high above his head as they go, there's still a couple feet of fabric dragging on the floor. Nor do I have any outdoor-drying options even if it WEREN'T still dirty-pollen season outside. My only practical air-drying option for a blanket that size is to make a sort of tent out of it: fold it over the shower-curtain rod, then set up the folding wooden laundry rack in front of the bathtub, with one end of the blanket propped on the rack so there's more room for airflow between the two flaps of the blanket.

Note that you can only do this if you have the ability to ask your washing machine to ONLY spin. If you can't do that, you can squeeze or press the water out instead (you can wring out things if you feel like they can handle it, but for garments what I would do is roll the item up in a towel and squeeze the towel burrito). Spinning does make the drying process a lot faster if you can do it.
I just checked my washing machine -- I've only ever bothered using the "normal" setting on the dial, but it does have a "pretreat" setting where the three phases of the process are "auto-soak," "pre-wash" and "spin." However, for the "normal" setting I used to fark up the blanket in the first place, the three phases are "spin," "rinse" and 'spin."

It was definitely something about the washing rather than drying process that caused the problem, given how hyper-linty it was when Jeff pulled it out of the washing machine. I wonder if maybe I could submerge it in the bathtub, and leave it there for awhile -- would that make lint fibers float away from the blanket, or only make it lintier? Not knowing why it's so linty in the first place, I of course cannot say.

I only spent eight bucks on this blanket, by the way; I am not-unwilling to consider the possibility that I might well have wasted that money. But I am not yet willing to give up on this blanket (especially after checking retail prices for king-sized wool blankets of this thickness, and double-especially for a blanket I only ever intend to keep in the car).

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Apr 2019, 17:28

FWIW, I also posted this question on Facebook, and a friend responded thus:

HER: From my trip to New Zealand wool country. The pink blanket maybe older and never washed. Detergents are made with enzymes to break down natural things like food, so yearsof build up or too much detergent will make it linty. The wool tellers recommend vinger in he bathtub washing....or dry cleaning

ME: By "vinegar in the bathtub," do you mean literally fill the tub with vinegar water and dunk the blanket? If so, do you know what ratio of vinegar-to-water is recommended?

HER: I look up ratio in my book of cleaning notes later today. Not full tub of vinger. But dunk the blanket.

HER: A cup of white vingear to a normal size bath tub. First do any intimates, I did my wool long johns from new Zealand first, then gloves and socks. Then big things like blankets. In your case you might want to do one blanket then do fresh water for second. Then do cold water rinse, use hand held sprayer if your tub has one to rinse. Hang dry. The gave me plastic feet cutouts to put my socks on so they would retain the shape.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 May 2019, 19:39

I've started the semiannual task of clothing migration: moving my "winter" garments out of the easy-to-reach clothing-storage places and into the inconvenient ones, and replacing them with "summer" garments. (This also entails organizing a previously overstuffed closet where winter and summer garments were all jammed together.) Since I've always lived in places with distinct seasons, I've always had a certain number of cold-weather-only clothes (e.g. thick sweaters, wool overcoats); a certain number of hot-weather-only clothes (e.g. gauzy skirts, thin short-sleeved tops); but also a lot of year-round clothes (e.g. a pair of loose, lightweight jeans which can be worn alone in summer, or over thermal pants in winter; a top that can be worn alone on all but the hottest summer days, or under a nice blazer in winter).

But now I am approaching my third year in Georgia, where the summers are vastly hotter, longer and more humid than ANYTHING I've experienced before ... though this discomfort is slightly mitigated by the fact that by now, at least I know how to dress for intensely humid weather: avoid everything made of cotton, and dress exclusively in lightweight rayon, lightweight linen or the lightest of lightweight silk. Which means this year's pre-summer clothing migration is the most labor-intensive I've ever done, because for the first time ever, with cotton off-limits, NONE of my outerwear garments fall into the "year-round" category.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 May 2019, 20:11

I feel like you really have to go out of your way not to use the Xtian cross in your Coexist bumper sticker design.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Shem

Post by Shem » 02 May 2019, 21:37

What do they use for the "T?"
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen