Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Pham Nuwen

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Mar 2019, 17:37

In the sense that the cop was a user and tried to cover it up. Yes. That probably happened.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 26 Mar 2019, 17:48

That does sound familiar. I hope they did a blood test on the cop.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Mar 2019, 07:17

Ellie wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 17:22
Wasn't there a case where a cop got fentanyl on himself while arresting a guy, and claimed to OD because of it, and so they charged the guy with additional assaulting an officer? I hope I'm misremembering, but unfortunately this sounds like the sort of thing that could happen.
IIRC, it turned out the cop just had a panic attack.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Mar 2019, 08:44

Yeah in all the cases I’ve heard it’s been panic attacks.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 27 Mar 2019, 10:14

Mo wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 07:17
Ellie wrote:
Wasn't there a case where a cop got fentanyl on himself while arresting a guy, and claimed to OD because of it, and so they charged the guy with additional assaulting an officer? I hope I'm misremembering, but unfortunately this sounds like the sort of thing that could happen.
I am intentionally suspicious of anything that comes from cops in any OD cases. Panic attacks? No, not these days. More like, we panicked when we realized you were actually going to investigate this.

*Fentanyl will not kill you in skin contact in casual cases. But don't use the pain patches with Fentanyl on them to get high when you're trying to hide your heroin addiction. That will possibly kill you. (Not me - have never done drugs. Girl I knew at rehab years ago. But don't fuck with it)
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Mar 2019, 10:18

Cops panicking and over-reacting. Who would have thought?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 27 Mar 2019, 13:56

Rachel wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 10:14
Mo wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 07:17
Ellie wrote:
I am intentionally suspicious of anything that comes from cops in any OD cases. Panic attacks? No, not these days. More like, we panicked when we realized you were actually going to investigate this.

*Fentanyl will not kill you in skin contact in casual cases. But don't use the pain patches with Fentanyl on them to get high when you're trying to hide your heroin addiction. That will possibly kill you. (Not me - have never done drugs. Girl I knew at rehab years ago. But don't fuck with it)
I've run that call more than once. For a while, eating the things was big. The results were exactly as one would expect.
On a side note, despite the hysteria about opiates, it's been a long while since I've run a recreational use OD. Once in a great while, I have to bring someone back who's dealing with chronic or terminal pain and simply overdid it.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Mar 2019, 21:03

"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Mar 2019, 21:24

The hardiest urban legend of the US overdose crisis — the idea that deadly amounts of fentanyl are tainting the illicit marijuana market — is being spread by officials at the White House and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

At a news conference last week prior to briefing Trump on the crisis, Kellyanne Conway, the White House’s opioid crisis czar, warned of the risks of illicit fentanyl turning up in other drugs, including marijuana.
If fentanyl and other strong narcotics are being put into the marijuana supply chain, dare I suggest that the US Government is the most likely suspect?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Mar 2019, 18:59

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Mar 2019, 20:05

I find the struggles of people with strong purity sensibilities amusing. Until they get so freaked out the blow something up. Then less so.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Mar 2019, 20:14

Transhumanistic pronoun wars.

Also how does she have fans?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Mar 2019, 20:23

Alex Jones has fans. Anyone can have fans.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Mar 2019, 21:11

Unsurprisingly, Paul Nathanson also believes gay marriage will irrevocably fuck society, too.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Mar 2019, 21:17

His offered counter-argument for the "equality before the law" pro-gay-marriage apparently seems to be: "If we have equality between the sexes then eventually one sex or other will be made extinct, so gay marriage is bad." Or something.
Claim 17: Almost everyone believes in equality. How can we have that if gay citizens are denied the same rights as other citizens?

This is the most sophisticated argument of all, because no one can dispute either the value of equality or the fact that gay people are denied it in connection with marriage.

For equality to be more than a pious pipedream or a utopian ideal, at least some allowance must be made for the fact that nature itself knows nothing of equality. Equality is a laudable human ideal, to be sure, but no ideal can ever be completely or perfectly attained. Every moral and legal code, in fact, must be based partly on the universal need to live with ambiguity and paradox. Or, putting it another way, these codes must balance the conflicting needs of individuals and communities with those of society as a whole.

As we have said, all cultures have had to acknowledge biological inequality, or asymmetry between the sexes. Equality, therefore, must be created by culture. If culture defines equality as sameness, then the most obvious way to create it would be, in effect, to eliminate biological asymmetry. With new reproductive technologies, both existing and coming, this could actually be done. Not only can egg cells already be used to create additional egg cells in mice, but even sperm cells can be used to create egg cells. Used in humans, this technology would "blur the biological line between fathers and mothers."33 Parthenogenesis (fertilizing an egg without sperm) would eliminate men altogether, thus obviating the need for equality in the first place. The advent of ex utero techniques or even artificial wombs, on the other hand, could eliminate the need for female gestation. Stated in these terms, the prospect looks less appealing than many people would have imagined; either eliminate one sex to create equality or eliminate the distinctive feature of one sex to correct for the other's biological inequality. For decades, the Feminist International Network of Resistance to Reproductive and Genetic Engineering has been agitating against developing an artificial womb and the legalization of surrogacy (which would give men some control over reproduction) but to maintain artificial insemination (which gives women control over reproduction)....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Mar 2019, 21:20

Finally someone Joe rogan doesn't have to ask if they ever tried DMT.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Mar 2019, 21:23

That’s a lot of words for blah blah blah eww it’s gross.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Mar 2019, 21:49

Equality, therefore, must be created by culture. If culture defines equality as sameness, then the most obvious way to create it would be, in effect, to eliminate biological asymmetry.
Uh huh. And the easiest way to eliminate racism would be to eliminate all but one race, so we must oppose attempts to bring about racial equality lest they result in WHITE GENOCIDE!

If this dude isn't alt-right, I'm pretty sure he's at least alt-right-curious.

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Mar 2019, 22:25

What could be better than the elimination of female gestation

I mean, except the obvious.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 28 Mar 2019, 23:22

nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 22:25

Wow.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Mar 2019, 23:47

nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 22:25

The obvious being everyone marching into the ocean?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2019, 02:06

Yeah

Seriously though, eg
Stated in these terms, the prospect looks less appealing than many people would have imagined; either eliminate one sex to create equality or eliminate the distinctive feature of one sex to correct for the other's biological inequality.
It’s not like there’s not a long-standing strain of feminism that holds that women are exploited and oppressed because of their biology. It seems kind of weird to me not to think that. We’re literally smaller and weaker. Sure men have their weaknesses like they can’t access their feelings or whatever but seriously do people think it’s a coincidence that it’s women who have been oppressed and are also at a physical disadvantage?

So, it doesn’t seem that weird to me to talk about correcting biological inequality. Not to say I think it’s possible, but I do think, eg, that it would be awesome if people told girls in middle school not that their period was some beautiful thing passed down from mother to daughter but instead a now-unnecessary annoyance they could prevent with a pill or implant. Women campaign for no sales taxes on tampons instead of saying why should we have to live like this?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2019, 03:06

nicole wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 02:06

So, it doesn’t seem that weird to me to talk about correcting biological inequality.
Nor me, but -- given that this jackass is a "gender relations professor" (and I'm willing to bet what he teaches boils down to "Women must do A, B and C, whereas men must do X, Y, and Z, and NEVER MUST THERE BE OVERLAP") -- it seems pretty obvious he'd oppose it.

I remember reading that in the 19th century, when medical science first discovered how to use IIRC ether as the first effective and relatively safe anesthesia (including for women giving birth), English churchmen were opposed to allowing women to kill the pain of childbirth because the Bible clearly says women are supposed to suffer. Only after Queen Victoria used it for one of her umpteen births did the churchmen STFU, since even they dared not criticize the queen.

I've no doubt this "gender relations professor" asshole would've been one of those opposed to painkillers during childbirth, too.

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2019, 19:18

...oh...

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Mar 2019, 21:10

I held a fidget spinner for the first time today.
WTF?
How did this ever become a thing? Guess I was spoiled off radiometers, gyroscopes, and the like from museum and planetarium gift shops growing up.
We fucked up, so we're going to need more money. - Tuco