Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Aresen

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Aresen » 24 Feb 2019, 23:37

thoreau wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 23:30
This is the reporting that we all need on this case:

Chicago Police Credit Their Extensive Experience Falsifying Evidence For Helping Solve Smollett Case
I hadn't really thought about how they caught on so quickly....
:lol:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Mar 2019, 15:27

Saw a bumpersticker on my way home that read "Support Sanctuaries: NOT". The wierd thing (aside from the anachronistic construction) was that it was on a Prius.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2019, 16:00

Sun was in your eyes. That was almost certainly a Ford Pious.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Mar 2019, 16:40

I saw a car today with the following unintentionally hilarious combination of bumper stickers, arranged something like this:

|Coexist|
\________________________________/

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Mar 2019, 18:32

Hugh Akston wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 15:27
Saw a bumpersticker on my way home that read "Support Sanctuaries: NOT". The wierd thing (aside from the anachronistic construction) was that it was on a Prius.
Saw a Trump Pence sticker on a Prius at the public library the other day; I did in fact look back. (And saw the other sticker said something like "OBAMINATION" in a devil font.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 06 Mar 2019, 08:48

we have a sole conservative prius around here as well. it's a punk rock retiree thing - it bothers everyone.

that said "support sanctuaries: not" better have a picture of mike myers doing a goofy thumbs up.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Mar 2019, 10:16

dhex wrote:we have a sole conservative prius around here as well. it's a punk rock retiree thing - it bothers everyone.

that said "support sanctuaries: not" better have a picture of mike myers doing a goofy thumbs up.
And their haircut better be the Rachel.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Mar 2019, 14:25

The Professional Business Speaker racket seems to have its own sort of weird fandom. These guys and gals are constantly referring to each other's books and groups and seminars, and I'm like, who the fuck are you talking about?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Mar 2019, 22:05

Jasper wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 14:25
The Professional Business Speaker racket seems to have its own sort of weird fandom. These guys and gals are constantly referring to each other's books and groups and seminars, and I'm like, who the fuck are you talking about?
There are some professions that should not be: Fortune Teller, Union Labor Leader, and Motivational Speaker.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Mar 2019, 22:36

Warren wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 22:05
Jasper wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 14:25
There are some professions that should not be: Fortune Teller, Union Labor Leader, and Motivational Speaker.
Also: Management consultant.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Mar 2019, 19:06

It’s interesting that there’s about as much Revolutionary War history in and around NYC as there is in Boston and it’s like in the 8th tier of tourist attractions for the city. While for Boston, it’s the thing there. More than anything that’s a big demonstration of the gap between the two cities. To NYers, Kips Bay is more known for the movie theater there than the battle fought there and most people don’t know Battery Park is so named because there were artillery batteries there.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Mar 2019, 18:12

Wasn't NYC occupied by the British for most of the war, and thus not really good Narrative?

(edit - there's also the problem that the greatest hero in the Hudson Valley theater of operations is also the greatest villain)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Mar 2019, 19:09

Kolohe wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 18:12
Wasn't NYC occupied by the British for most of the war, and thus not really good Narrative?

(edit - there's also the problem that the greatest hero in the Hudson Valley theater of operations is also the greatest villain)
That's kind of what I was thinking. It was basically a royalist stronghold for the entire war. When the war was over there was a considerable exodus of them to places outside the US. Not exactly a chest thumping patriotic history.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Mar 2019, 19:23

It wasn’t so much a Loyalist stronghold as a place where Loyalist refugees headed from other places after the British captured NY. So while there was a larger Loyalist presence it was due to earlier victories that made it attractive to Loyalists from other parts of the colonies.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Mar 2019, 22:35

R Kelly's live performance from the work "how to make a bad situation worse" is legit amazing.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Mar 2019, 00:17

dhex wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 22:35
R Kelly's live performance from the work "how to make a bad situation worse" is legit amazing.
I've been afraid to actually watch it. I'm still flabbergasted he was let off to begin with way back in the day.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Mar 2019, 16:37

I have experienced it only through remixes, many of which are annoyingly catchy.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Mar 2019, 20:54

Saw a 90s Jeep Cherokee on my way home with a variety of decorations, including bumperstickers reading "Support the troops, especially the snipers"; "Proudly Deplorable"; "I'd rather be whacking Tangos"; "Extremely Rightwing"; and "My child is an honor student at [suchandsuch] Middle School"; as wella as a variety of faded Marines-related slogans written on the back window in crayon or maybe soap; and a labelmaker label reading "Hillary Sucks Ass".

I'm just hoping that honor student is smart enough not to have to follow daddy into the service, because it obviously didn't do him any favors.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2019, 07:38

Feels kinda weird that Mossimo has a fashion designer. That sounds like quite an inflation for just coming up with a bunch of different ways to write "MOSSIMO" on a t-shirt.

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Mar 2019, 11:11

If I was on the jury, I would use my jury notification powers.

https://fox17.com/news/offbeat/man-accu ... tmas-songs

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Mar 2019, 12:02

Mo wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 11:11
If I was on the jury, I would use my jury notification powers.

https://fox17.com/news/offbeat/man-accu ... tmas-songs
I am sure the guy signing christmas carols in March was breaking some law. The man choking him was merely apprehending a felon.

JD

Post by JD » 14 Mar 2019, 12:53

Kolohe wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 18:12

True, but the Battle of Brooklyn makes for some good history despite the fact that we lost.

tl;dr version: The British were moving to capture New York, and in particular Brooklyn Heights, overlooking Lower Manhattan. The first day of fighting went badly for the Americans, they had to withdraw to fortified positions, and the British surrounded them, planning to gradually reduce them. But Washington managed to silently withdraw his entire force during the night, losing not a single man or any supplies, with Washington himself being the last man to step onto the last boat. So it was a British victory, but not the crushing one they'd hoped for, since Washington managed to preserve his force to fight again another day.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Mar 2019, 15:07

Washington had a knack for slipping away with his army still intact. Trenton and Second Battle of Trenton are prime examples of that.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Mar 2019, 13:47

Today I learned there are anti vaccine pet owners. E. G they don't want their cats to get autism.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Mar 2019, 14:30

Of course there are. You ever seen the “save your dog or save a stranger” results? Yeah.