Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Hugh Akston

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Feb 2019, 18:15

I'd like to see a remake of 12 Angry Men where the defendant is plainly guilty according to the letter of the law, but Juror #8 convinces the others to nullify.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 20 Feb 2019, 18:39

Hugh Akston wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 18:15
I'd like to see a remake of 12 Angry Men where the defendant is plainly guilty according to the letter of the law, but Juror #8 convinces the others to nullify.
A friend of mine had a psychology professor who showed Cool Hand Luke as a warning about the dangers of bucking society.
Just sayin'.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 21 Feb 2019, 15:47

Jussie Smollett, according to my new feed, wrote his buddies a check for the attack. You are hilariously bad at committing crimes if you are paying people by check. Did he ask for a receipt, too, do you think?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Feb 2019, 15:53

tr0g wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:47
Jussie Smollett, according to my new feed, wrote his buddies a check for the attack. You are hilariously bad at committing crimes if you are paying people by check. Did he ask for a receipt, too, do you think?
He's streisanding.

(Honestly, I'd never heard of him before this little foofahrah.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Feb 2019, 16:51

tr0g wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:47
There was an Unsolved Mysteries about a murder for hire, where the murderer actually left a note to himself that was like, "Reassure [guy who hired him] that you'll say you acted alone if the police arrest you for killing [victim]." Some criminals just love a paper trail, I guess!
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Feb 2019, 17:31

What kind of TV star gives key jobs to the extras?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Feb 2019, 17:40

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Feb 2019, 20:34

A 49 year old Coastie Lieutenant categorized as a 'military officer' is the very definition of 'technically correct'
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Feb 2019, 21:11

Kolohe wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 20:34
A 49 year old Coastie Lieutenant categorized as a 'military officer' is the very definition of 'technically correct'
But he was a Marine corporal, so let's hear it for semi-upward mobility!

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Feb 2019, 22:51

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 21:11
Kolohe wrote:
But he was a Marine corporal, so let's hear it for semi-upward mobility!
They let crayon eaters into the coast guard now? They must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 22 Feb 2019, 09:43

Kolohe wrote:
Hey man, he's a veteran in the war on dipshits with boats.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Feb 2019, 11:33

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Feb 2019, 12:01

It's hard to sympathize with the guy, but if we're going to push back on outrage culture then there needs to be some forgiveness, not more banishment.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Feb 2019, 19:04

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Feb 2019, 19:26

Aresen wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 19:04
Jessesmullet.gif
Jessesmullet.gif (710.91 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Feb 2019, 19:57

thoreau wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:01
It's hard to sympathize with the guy, but if we're going to push back on outrage culture then there needs to be some forgiveness, not more banishment.
Forgiveness can wait for at least an apology, honest repentance, etc.

Or, you know, at least more than a couple of days.

I mean, Hell, this sort of ever-so-sinister "unpersoning" has happened due to salary disputes not going an actor's way. Being involved in faking a hate crime and so losing an acting role doesn't seem particularly draconian.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Feb 2019, 20:05

I see your point, but I do hope that he returns to acting. I don't want to see him blackballed from the industry, nor do I want to see him turn into some sort of Rohrschach figure who's a hero on the social justice lecture circuit or whatever and used by the other side as proof of how broken the left is. I'd rather that he be rehabilitated into an ordinary working actor who's past all that. If he's forever defined by this it will be bad for him and bad for everyone else too.

Or maybe I'm over-compensating. I'm a guy who gets easily upset by SJWs, so I'm trying not to let my knee jerk too hard against him. I'd rather see this handled quietly without either his life being ruined or him becoming some sort of permanent symbol.

Yeah, I read Jon Ronson's book.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Feb 2019, 20:08

FWIW, I also think that MAGA Teen Hunger Force went too far in filing such a massive lawsuit. I'll let lawyers opine on whether they have a good case for libel, but you can't tell me that they've suffered anything close to $250 million in harm. Demanding an amount equal to the reported market value of the WaPo just signals that they're looking for war-everlasting, not simple compensation for harm done.
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Feb 2019, 20:16

The SJWs that I come across are fucking livid at the guy. He's not turning into any sort of rallying figure for them. He's just going to be the go-to name on the right for not giving a shit about hate crimes (because they're all faked, amirite?).
thoreau wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 20:05
Or maybe I'm over-compensating. I'm a guy who gets easily upset by SJWs, so I'm trying not to let my knee jerk too hard against him. I'd rather see this handled quietly without either his life being ruined or him becoming some sort of permanent symbol.
That's at least partially up to him, and he's still claiming that it happened.

So, I have little concern for the guy. When he's not even admitting his wrongdoing, forgiveness can wait. If he needs mental help, then his career can wait. The world doesn't need to bend over backwards so one minor celebrity doesn't have to face consequences.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Feb 2019, 07:40

Dude is still primarily a victim of himself, not of outrage culture.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Feb 2019, 11:59

He's a victim of himself, but he tried to take advantage of outrage culture, and wound up feeding it (albeit not in the way he intended).

Maybe the best outcome for now, pending some self-reflection and apology, is if the case drop off the front page and receive as much attention as when your crazy neighbor gets prosecuted for false police reports.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Feb 2019, 11:59

thoreau wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 20:05
I see your point, but I do hope that he returns to acting. I don't want to see him blackballed from the industry, nor do I want to see him turn into some sort of Rohrschach figure who's a hero on the social justice lecture circuit or whatever and used by the other side as proof of how broken the left is. I'd rather that he be rehabilitated into an ordinary working actor who's past all that. If he's forever defined by this it will be bad for him and bad for everyone else too.

Yeah, I read Jon Ronson's book.
Can't we just forget about him and he plays dinner theater of whatever?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 23 Feb 2019, 18:44

thoreau wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 11:59
Maybe the best outcome for now, pending some self-reflection and apology, is if the case drop off the front page and receive as much attention as when your crazy neighbor gets prosecuted for false police reports.
I cannot remember the last time you wrote something as clearly wrong as this.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Feb 2019, 18:52

With a "mea culpa" for not following the news closely and being too lazy to do my own research -- so the scandal is that this guy faked being assaulted? Didn't Ryan Lochte also pretend to be mugged during the Olympics? Didn't people mostly just shrug over that and move on? Is the outrage here more that he pretended it was MAGA-zombies out for his flesh and not just regular criminals being criminals? Haven't other actors pretended to be the victims of crime and kidnapping and other weird stuff and they just got written off as loons? Are we just in a slow news cycle this month and that's why this story won't die?
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Feb 2019, 19:36

Solitudinarian wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 18:44
thoreau wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 11:59
I cannot remember the last time you wrote something as clearly wrong as this.
What is the good thing that will come from continued attention to this case?
--Mo