Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Eric the .5b

Re: Random Observations C.A (306 pages is enough)

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Aug 2018, 16:03

I assume (perhaps wrongly) that the last three posts aren't in response to dhex linking an article about anti-immigrant violence by right-wing groups in Europe and wonder what the context is.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Aug 2018, 16:43

Waiting for someone coming from Phoenix at Washington National, saw Lindsey Graham probably going to Phoenix.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 30 Aug 2018, 07:05

Kolohe wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 16:43
Waiting for someone coming from Phoenix at Washington National, saw Lindsey Graham probably going to Phoenix.
You poor bastard.

JD

Post by JD » 27 Sep 2018, 11:34

This past weekend I was down in Harrisburg, PA, attending the reunion of the 95th Infantry Division, in which my wife's grandfather served during WWII. They've been meeting every year since a few years after the war ended. I think during the war the division was something around 14,000 men, and now there are about 15 of them left, so it's a lot of families attending now, but it's a good opportunity to meet these guys while there are still some around. 28 years ago there was a dedication of a monument to the division put up at Fort Indiantown Gap, and this year the monument was refurbished and rededicated, so that was the big event this year. Probably the coolest thing of the weekend, to me, was seeing Granddaddy talk to the color guard that had been assigned to the reunion, and ask them if they still learned the 16-count rifle drill, and then actually doing it with one of their rifles! (and complaining a little about the fact that their drill M1A1s didn't exactly match the length and weight of the M1 he'd learned it with) He apologized for making a few mistakes, saying, "Well, it has been seventy-five years..."

They're planning a visit to Metz next year, and I hope we can make it; of course it all depends on everybody's health by this time next year.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Oct 2018, 13:10

I don't know what irritates me more: Pretentious 'artists' making 'statements' or people who pay extravagant sums of money for their 'art.'

If I were Dante writing The Inferno today, I'd put the former in the bolgia of the frauds and forgers and the latter in the bolgia of the flatterers.

--

Also: Get off my lawn!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Oct 2018, 16:40

Know what is a delightful change of pace? Yarn forum drama.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2018, 19:56

nicole wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 16:40
As in wool vs polyester?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Oct 2018, 22:23

Warren wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 19:56
nicole wrote:
As in wool vs polyester?
Jesus Warren. Why don't we talk abortion while we're at it? Ffs man. Get it together.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 09 Oct 2018, 12:34

Pham Nuwen wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 22:23
Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:
As in wool vs polyester?
Jesus Warren. Why don't we talk abortion while we're at it? Ffs man. Get it together.
If you're using llama wool, you're a poor excuse for a human. Everyone know alpaca is the best.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Oct 2018, 13:13

Jasper wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 12:34
Pham Nuwen wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 22:23
Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:
As in wool vs polyester?
If you're using llama wool, you're a poor excuse for a human. Everyone know alpaca is the best.
Alpaca can't hold a candle to North Chilean Guanacos.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2018, 14:59

Was it drama about a naked man modeling a finished knitting project? I heard there was a dustup on Ravelry about that (and yes, obviously it made me want to immediately join Ravelry).
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 09 Oct 2018, 15:07

I actually want a link too. I need smile absurdity to balance all the sob absurdity.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Oct 2018, 15:28

It wasn't that funny, sadly -- the naked man modeling was funnier. There's an indie dyer that has a bit of a cult following and as they've expanded their business and quality control has suffered, folks have talked about it on Ravelry and their fangirls have "tattled" on us to their customer service, who butted into a small friend-group to complain about our complaints.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 Oct 2018, 15:38

Ellie wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 14:59
Was it drama about a naked man modeling a finished knitting project? I heard there was a dustup on Ravelry about that (and yes, obviously it made me want to immediately join Ravelry).
If he was modelling a finished knitting product, was he really naked?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2018, 15:45

I think the project was a hat, maybe? So it depends on your definition of naked :D
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jake

Post by Jake » 09 Oct 2018, 17:22

Jadagul wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 15:38
Ellie wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 14:59
If he was modelling a finished knitting product, was he really naked?
That's why I always wear this oven mitt. Take that, cops!
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2018, 19:19

Just going to leave this here.
http://thegiddystitcher.com/2015/09/09/change/
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 10 Oct 2018, 11:43

I have a hand knitted dick sock, because my stock response for years to the question "What are you wearing to <event>?" has been "Flips-flops and a dick sock". My mother-in-law got tired of me saying this, so she knitted me a dick sock. I'm not sure how she thought that was going to help, since afterwards in her presence the answer became "Flip-flops and the dick sock you made me." One of my other friends made me a decorated sock that looks like an elephant.

No, pictures of me modeling either one of these items are not available.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 10 Oct 2018, 16:31

tr0g wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 11:43
I have a hand knitted dick sock, because my stock response for years to the question "What are you wearing to <event>?" has been "Flips-flops and a dick sock". My mother-in-law got tired of me saying this, so she knitted me a dick sock. I'm not sure how she thought that was going to help, since afterwards in her presence the answer became "Flip-flops and the dick sock you made me." One of my other friends made me a decorated sock that looks like an elephant.

... how did your MIL know the correct size to make?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Oct 2018, 16:49

Andrew wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:31
tr0g wrote:

Mohair. One size fits all... moods.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Oct 2018, 19:57

Andrew wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:31
tr0g wrote:

The Gryll wants to know.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Oct 2018, 00:47

It's business as usual in the corporate state:

NASA's SLS Megarocket Over Budget, Behind Schedule, Report Finds
It crystallizes the findings of a four-month-long audit (from April through August 2018) of Boeing's performance under the Stages contract, as well as NASA's "compliance with acquisition regulations, policies, and procedures supporting the SLS Program."

Those findings suggest that there will be additional bumps in the road for SLS development.

"At its current rate, we project that Boeing will expend at least $8.9 billion through 2021 — double the amount initially planned — while delivery of the first Core Stage has slipped 2.5 years from June 2017 to December 2019 and may slip further," the OIG report states.
"For example, Boeing officials have consistently underestimated the scope of the work to be performed and thus the size and skills of the workforce required."
(In other words, Boeing took a wild-eyed-guess and lowballed the numbers to win the contract.

But NASA still ♥ Boeing:
And they added that NASA fully supports Boeing, saying that the company has "already overcome many challenges" and continues "to show major improvements in efficiency and management."
The sunk cost fallacy in full bloom.

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Oct 2018, 15:13

bc i listen to some of the joe rogan podcasts i'm now getting just the shittiest ads, mostly this praegeru crap. animation expenses have fallen through the floor bc i can't imagine this guy is making that much money off of what feels like charlie kirk b roll.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Oct 2018, 21:21

Today I was at a country brewery fundraiser and there's so much weird Sparta stuff.

So weird
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch